Sugar Free until 2015

Options
Good morning MFP friends!

I have recently had an extremely difficult time fighting sugar cravings, giving in to them, sugar crashing, then repeating the cycle. I'm not one of those people that can just have a bite of something sweet and be satisfied, because I end up ruining the rest of my day and suffer many "food hangovers" the next day. I've finally decided enough is enough and I'm ready to quit desserts, cookies, brownies, cake, etc. for the rest of the year. I know the first couple weeks will be the most difficult, but I can't wait until those cravings slowly start to disappear and I start enjoying real food again.

I'd love for some of you to join this "sugar addict rehab" with me and share our support for one another. :flowerforyou:

Today is DAY ONE!

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I give it til Halloween. But good luck!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Ross-Why-Would-You-Do-That.gif
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    It's so much easier to just count your calories honestly *every* day and try to hit your macros...things will sort themselves out as you go along...why join the "all or nothing" camp? :ohwell:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Ross-Why-Would-You-Do-That.gif
    I agree. Sounds dreadful but if that's what you feel you have to do to stay on track, go for it.
  • timeformejlw
    Options
    :noway:

I'm hoping to go sugar free till dessert this evening. Good luck to you!
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Do you know how much sugar is in ketchup? :sad:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It's so much easier to just count your calories honestly *every* day and try to hit your macros...things will sort themselves out as you go along...why join the "all or nothing" camp? :ohwell:

I'm with this guy, plus I have to many gallons of ice cream in the deep freeze to let it get all freezer burned and have to throw it out...I will never understand the all or nothing mentality, it NEVER works and in the end your right back where you started. Why not watch you calories and begin to work on the mental side of this journey and learn how to fit those things like desserts into your day... is it easy? No, you will have to work at it but You will stand alot better chance of succeeding doing so and enjoy some cake and ice cream along the way... :drinker:
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    No. Way. Isn't sugar the foundation of the food pyramid? Or is that beer? I get them confused.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Best of luck, OP. I can't function without sugar.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    But...but....but.... Christmas cookies.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    No way, no how. Sugar actually helps to suppress my appetite or "hold me over" until my next meal.

If I'm starving but for whatever reason can't eat something substantial for a couple hours, a couple sips of Coke helps me immensely.

Edited- haha I accidentally said "eat someone substantial!"
  • BadWolf_Rose
    BadWolf_Rose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have not given up on indulgences, but I have switched up a whole lot and have been eating a TON less sugar. I do eat a dark chocolate square here and there, and ate a halloween mellowcreme pumpkin the other day (lol, shame on me). BUT.... other than the chocolate (Which there is only 4g of sugar in the Ghiradelli Sea Salt Soiree squares per square, and I limit myself to 1, which they are rich so only one needed, in my opinion :happy: ) I have only been getting my sugar in foods I eat from fruit and dairy, which is naturally occurring.
    Since I've switched it up, no more sugar crashes, and I feel much more balanced overall and it's fantastic.
  • EmilyAnn_1989
    Options
    I absolutely agree with a lot of you that moderation is key. For MOST people, I'm sure that works just fine. There are some people (like myself) that have tried moderation time and time again, and tend to make excuses for one more of this and one more of that, which leads to many many more of this and that.

More than anything, I'm excited to face a huge personal challenge and not give up. And that's truly the most important thing :smile:
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    but. but. why?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I say good for you, EmilyAnn! You've discovered something important about how your body and your mind reacts to sugar. It's OK if other people haven't experienced it - you don't need any one else to validate what you know is true about you. It takes so much courage to face that you have an addictive response to the sweet stuff. Giving up sugar is HARD!

I've been on and off a sugar free diet for four years. This time around, I've been off sugar for about 45 days (no sweets, but still small amounts of sugar in sauces and dressings, etc) and I'm so much happier and in control of my appetite. I'm one of those people that can't include a modest treat in my diet because that treat makes me obsess about more treats. All that chatter in my head is way too exhausting, so it's much easier to just give up sweets and shut up the chatterbox.

So why am I "on an off?" Birthdays, holidays, vacations, etc. I always think, "Just this once." but then the sugar casts it's magic spell over me again and I'm hooked sometimes for months before I find the where-with-all to put the brakes on again.

I've been thinking ahead to Christmas (I've done Halloween sugar free, so I know I've got that.) But I've never done Christmas sugar free. I don't know how to accomplish that without feeling deprived. Planning a sugar detox after Christmas has never worked for me before - I mean, I haven't followed through - so I'm going to have to find a treat other than sugar to make Christmas feel like Christmas.

Any ideas?
  • kurotoshiro
    kurotoshiro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I can't just have a square of chocolate or a handful of whatever. I'm doing the 30 day no junk challenge, which I'm doing mostly so that I can learn self control. It's been easier than expected, I have messed up twice but not majorly and I plan on doing the whole 30 days since my 2nd mistake. I'm hoping by the end of the month, I'll be able to just say no when I don't need junk and just limit any junk to once a week or something. I've been finding healthier versions when I feel like I want sweet stuff, usually on the form of fruit or yogurt. So maybe start with a 39 day challenge, and continue if you want? For me, saying till 2015 is daunting, whereas if you start off with smaller goals it may be easier to conquer.

It's your choice though! Good luck :)
  • exelbyplumpton
    exelbyplumpton Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have been addictive to sugar for 41 years. Started after my daughter was born. Sweets. This is my problem. Not biscuits, cakes, Puddings etc.. Tried many,many, times to stop. I cannot bear the thought of not having sweets in the house. I panic . Did not have sweets in my home once and it was awful. I have a sweety jar. My grandchildren know what I'm like, but they do not indulge in the jar like I do. SUGAR is in alot of food. It would be very hard to omitte this beastly food substance. But! I will join you :*) for the challenge.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Good for you. That's a great goal. Expect some setbacks. There may be times when you fall off the wagon, but keep your eyes on the goal. I'm on a pretty low sugar diet too. A family history of T2 diabetes convinced me to eliminate as much starch and sugar from my diet as I could. Unfortunately, you're going to find some here mocking your dietary choices, but you don't have to justify your choices to anyone here.