Biggest Loser- "Unknowns" Method

Options
So after watching BL this week I thought that those training with the "unknowns" are at a disadvantage by not having to clean up after themselves, learning how to cook healthy, and limiting their training (so it appears) to just boxing related exercises.

When they enter the ranch, they will be helpless in the kitchen.

Not having to clean up after themselves (make beds, etc) isn't "real world"...they have to learn to do those things AND eat right AND exercise.

Just my thoughts. I was also stunned to see as hard-core they are working out that their daily meal for the day they showed us only added up to 1,092 calories! :noway:

Replies

• rsonthelake
    rsonthelake Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It will be interesting in the weeks to come.
  • lisateachawa
    lisateachawa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I missed it yesterday. I was so bummed. I thought it was 2 hrs - but the Prez. was on when I got home at 9. Was it a good episode? Who went home?
  • purplefreak60
    purplefreak60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It was only an hour show "To be Continued" so no weigh-in. What I thought was interesting about the Unknown Trainers is how much of a workout THEY were getting too...they were pouring sweat.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    It's been established that BL isn't a realistic set-up for everyday life. It's a show. It helps critically obese people lose weight fast through any and all means necessary.
    I was shocked, too, when I saw that their calorie limit was 1200 total. I'm no doctor, and I do know that the contestants on the show are overweight to the point of illness, so I do understand the need to lose weight quickly, but still...
    Anyways, it's a reality show. Like all reality shows, it more fun to watch (especially for lengthy elliptical sessions!) but not to emulate.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I agree. Yes, they may see what they're eating is healthy but when they get home, they won't know how to make it themselves. They need a reality check. They've already got immunity - why do they need to have such an easy ride??? Honestly, BL is crippling them.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    So after watching BL this week I thought that those training with the "unknowns" are at a disadvantage by not having to clean up after themselves, learning how to cook healthy, and limiting their training (so it appears) to just boxing related exercises.

When they enter the ranch, they will be helpless in the kitchen.

Not having to clean up after themselves (make beds, etc) isn't "real world"...they have to learn to do those things AND eat right AND exercise.

Just my thoughts. I was also stunned to see as hard-core they are working out that their daily meal for the day they showed us only added up to 1,092 calories! :noway:

I agree that they need to be realistic about how they are going to balance weight loss and life at home but I think this part is more about rewarding them for giving the new trainers a chance and making them a bigger deal in this season.

As far as the extremely low calories - you have to keep in mind that this is not ordinary people on an ordinary diet. A lot of these people don't have much time to lose this weight and NEED to get it off. For some this IS a life or death situation. Above and beyond that they have doctors on site that are doing major overseeing of all nutrition, weight loss, and overall health of all the participants - something we just don't have in our day to day weight loss routines.

But all in all it is TV and if making these people lose extreme amounts of weight over the season keeps the viewers watching and the money coming in then it will continue this way.
  • miriamcpweg
    miriamcpweg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The unknowns will be at a disadvantage because when they get on the ranch, and getting used to the new living conditions, those on the ranch will be fighting for their lives.
  • Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the exact thing. I'm new hear and I just learned this week about eating your exercise calories. It completely makes sense and I now see losing weight in a whole other form, it's actually achievable! So I couldn't believe how little calories they are eating considering they work out for hours each day. It's like they are literally starving their bodies. And ya, the whole not having to lift a finger thing, I was really shocked when I saw that too.