help!! I have plateaued at 190 for months

My starting weight was 247 in January and my current weight is 190 which i have been since july. i am still working out 4/5 times a week and eating pretty healthy but the scale has not moved any suggestions on how to break this plateau?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Can you open your diary?
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Most people will say either the tracking of calories is off or the exercise calories burned is off. Without opening your diary, we will only be guessing.
  • Try changing your workout. Your body may have also gained muscle which counts towards your weight. But perhaps changing what your workout routine is will help you get back on track. Or you could try a beach body cleanse. I have tried it and it really helps get you out of that slump. It's only three days but it really helps your body clean out the gunk that is just hanging out.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Been there done that :smile: Was plateaued at 190 for months. I started watching my diet closer and upped my exercise about 10% (biking) . Seems to have worked , I'm down in the 170s and am worried about losing to much too fast.
    But all in all, it sounds like you're doing VERY good. Remember, Just not putting it back on is an accomplishment. Hang in there!
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    What are your Macros? Carbs? Protein? Fats? Sodium? for the day? You might have to cut back on carbs and up your protein and fat intake to drop weight and at the same time maintain calories if you are in a deficit. What is your activity level like for the day? There is so many questions here we need more details please.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Try changing your workout. Your body may have also gained muscle which counts towards your weight. But perhaps changing what your workout routine is will help you get back on track. Or you could try a beach body cleanse. I have tried it and it really helps get you out of that slump. It's only three days but it really helps your body clean out the gunk that is just hanging out.

Can we try to find out if the OP is even logging their food and eating in a deficit before we suggest they waste their money on cleanses and products?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    My starting weight was 247 in January and my current weight is 190 which i have been since july. i am still working out 4/5 times a week and eating pretty healthy but the scale has not moved any suggestions on how to break this plateau?

What does "eating pretty healthy" mean?

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member

Provided you are doing your logging correctly (that is the first step of course), then you might try backing down the rate you are losing. To lose 57 lbs in 8 months is a big deal. Maybe your body wants to adjust to this so you might want to go a little less aggressively (to say 0.5 lb/week loss instead of 1-2 lbs/week). If you think in numbers like I do, you should realize that you've lost over 20% of your body weight already. Give it a chance to adjust and then change things up a bit.

Perhaps a change in your workout is necessary as well to get your body to start losing again as well.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Maybe you are overestimating your calorie burn and eating too much calories?
  • delnnis
    delnnis Posts: 6 Member
    Try changing your menu completely. And reduce the calories a bit.. maybe a 100 calories less. . And try a "cleaning" for your system just for 2 to 3 days: (soups, fruits and veggies only) to re-start your diet. Also you might be needing less calories now that you weight less. The good news is you haven't gain weight back and that's an accomplishment!The same happened to me and finally the weight started to come off after I reduced my calorie intake by 100 cal. (with my new weight) and "cleaned my system for 2 days". Good luck!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Simply put. You are consuming more calories then you are burning.

As time goes on people slacken up and get away From being exact with measurements, don't log every calorie, don't verify a new foods calories, stop measuring and estimate more thinking they know what a certain size looks like.... A hundred little things and they all add up. Rededicate yourself to precise calorie counting and data inputs.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Are you weighing and logging your food accurately? Are you doing the same level of activity as before? Have you adjusted your calorie intake to match your new weight?
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Usually means you are eating at maintenance. Reassess your intake and make sure you are logging accurately.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Eat less.

Move more.

I don't know your height, but we are very similar, weight-wise. The more you lose, the harder it gets. So, buckle down. Move a little more. If you can stand it, add a little muscle so it'll burn more calories for you. Take a good look at what you eat and see if there isn't some junk that you could eliminate and replace with lower calorie, more nutritious food.

As hard as it is to lose now, it's going to get harder still.

But if you really want to, you can do it.

...and if you haven't had a doctor overseeing your we it loss journey, now is the time to get one on board. It's the smartest and easiest way to do it. So call. Make sure you don't have some physical problem, etc.

Good luck!!!