Fit Bit

Options
Can someone please explain the "fitbit" to me? We are thinking of buying one because I see a lot of people on this site referring to it, but I'm not really sure how it works! Help me out please! Thanks!

Replies

• Flookbird
    Flookbird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Fitbit encompasses a number of different products, one of which is the 'fitbit flex' which I will describe!

First off, visit the fitbit website, which will give you loads of info. (Other activity trackers are also available)

I bought my flex when I had lost 60lbs and was beginning to move towards maintenance. I knew from these boards how important being active is to maintaining a healthy weight. Note the difference between 'being active' and 'lifting heavy'!

Apparently the recommended daily steps are 10k. The flex helped me see how close to 10k I was initially. I was on holiday from work (I'm a teacher) so had to go out for walks to get my 10k in. Now I'm back at work I'm at almost 10k before I leave school! (my MFP account is set as sedentary so anything above my 'sedentary' calorie burn is added back to MFP by fit as the 2 accounts are synced).

I don't eat all of my fitbit calorie burn but I eat some and I'm still losing. With less than 10lbs to go and still losing 1-1.5lbs a week I'm thinking I should probably eat them all!

I track all food and additional exercise (ie swimming) on MFP. This syncs to fitbit.

I find that fitbit gives me a. A more realistic, less generalised daily calorie expenditure than I'd get from an algorithm based on a typical day. And b. Gives me a clearer overview of what I've done/eaten/burned than MFP would. I love data so have the premium subscription to help me track stuff.

I also suffer with hallucinations at night resulting in poor sleep so the flex has helped me to track that and spot triggers.

I wouldn't be without mine now! Good luck!
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I bought my fitbit One a year ago. I am/used to be VERY sedentary! I actually was AMAZED with how few steps I took in a day when I started. I actually had to do more to be considered "sedentary" according to mfp lol. I found my fitbit really helped keep me accountable. If I had started trying to lose weight and didn't have my fitbit there would have been many days where I would have been over eating, even though I was sedentary just like mfp calculated. I really credit my fitbit for my weight loss. Is it perfect... no... but I think I have been much more aware of my activity level than I would have been.

Now one year later I am actively not allowing myself to be under 7500 steps in one day. I got a treadmill for my birthday, so if by the time dinner is done I am not close to the 7500 steps, I throw a show on my tv and walk for 40 mins to get there.

The one choice about the fitbit you would have to make is the model. A lot of people like the Fitbit Flex. It is a bracelet type item that shows dots when you achieve something (not sure what exactly as this is not the one I have) It looks very much like those rubber bracelets you get for supporting breast cancer, or the many other charities. The Fitbit One is a clip on item. It says exactly how many steps you have taken, the time, how many flights of stairs, distance you've traveled etc. You can clip it ANYWHERE. I personally chose the one because when I dress up, I still want to count my steps and I thought a rubber bracelet would look out of place as a piece of jewelry. My fitbit one, I can clip to my bra and nobody knows I'm wearing it. The one benefit to the flex over the one that I can see, is forgetting it. If you change clothes and your one is attached to it, not only could it be forgotten, but it could also end up in the laundry! I have not yet washed mine, but I have forgotten it at home a time or two.

So that in a (very big) nutshell is my experience with Fitbit. Is it for everyone.. probably not. But I personally don't believe I would have been as successful as I have been in my weight loss without it. Good luck!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Its an activity tracker. AKA a fancy/complicated pedometer. There are a # of models on the market. Fitbit Flex, Fitbit One, Polar Loop, Vivofit, and a few others.

You wear them (clipped to your waste or bra, or around your wrist like a watch) and it tracks your steps thru the pedometer function. You also enter information about your height/weight/etc. and it estimates your calorie burn.

Some are water proof, some are water resistant, some are neither.
    Some show you information on the display of the device, some you have to connect to a compatible phone or sync to a computer.
    There are other differences as well. Research the various trackers, choose which set of features will work for you.
    There is a price difference - ranging from $50 to $150 mostly.
    Most do not have a HRM function, though the Polar Loop can be used w/ a Polar HRM.

Its a great way to measure your activity level, and use it to set goals to increase your activity level. I have worn a Fitbit One since late December 2013. My husband got a Polar Loop a few weeks ago. A fitness tracker is a great tool, but not a magic button. You still have to move.
  • MsTiffamee
    MsTiffamee Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So...the device will sync with MFP. Does it enter in exercise for you when it syncs or do you have to manually enter your exercise? Or....is the fitbit just tracking calories burned that MFP has already accounted for in my "sedentary" lifestyle? I'm new to fitbit and new to MFP so I'm not really sure how all of this works together.

Thank you for your replies. I am getting the idea! :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    So...the device will sync with MFP. Does it enter in exercise for you when it syncs or do you have to manually enter your exercise? Or....is the fitbit just tracking calories burned that MFP has already accounted for in my "sedentary" lifestyle? I'm new to fitbit and new to MFP so I'm not really sure how all of this works together.

Let me tell you how I do it.

My MFP and Fitbit are synced.

When I exercise in a way that is not just walking, I log my exercise on MFP. That means that I use my HRM, or MFP's estimate, to log it. Fitbit doesn't do a good job "seeing" that you're lifting weights or spinning or doing any other non-step based activity. For group exercise classes, I also use my HRM.

You have to remember what time you started exercising, and how many total minutes - MFP will ask when you enter it.

Then MFP communicates with Fitbit and "overwrites" what Fitbit calculated for that time for calories burned.

For step-based exercise, like walking and daily activity, I do nothing - Fitbit captures it and several times a day it updates MFP with its new projection for total calories burned for the day. Then MFP will give me a "fitbit adjustment" if I've earned it (more calories added to my total) or, if you enable it, MFP will take away calories if you're lazy. That's optional though.

Once you get the hang of it, it's awesome and they work really well together.
  • DeliD25
    DeliD25 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Jawbone Up and I plug it into my phone to sync it, but the Up 24 syncs wirelessly. It does sync with MFP and MFP syncs to the Up software so I am seeing my calories in both places. I love mine! Seeing the sleep and activity as well as the daily messages are really keeping me going. The fact that the Up software evaluates my intake sure does add a whole other check on what I am eating apart from MFP.
  • Charlito29
    Charlito29 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I bought my fitbit One a year ago. I am/used to be VERY sedentary! I actually was AMAZED with how few steps I took in a day when I started. I actually had to do more to be considered "sedentary" according to mfp lol. I found my fitbit really helped keep me accountable. If I had started trying to lose weight and didn't have my fitbit there would have been many days where I would have been over eating, even though I was sedentary just like mfp calculated. I really credit my fitbit for my weight loss. Is it perfect... no... but I think I have been much more aware of my activity level than I would have been.

Now one year later I am actively not allowing myself to be under 7500 steps in one day. I got a treadmill for my birthday, so if by the time dinner is done I am not close to the 7500 steps, I throw a show on my tv and walk for 40 mins to get there.

The one choice about the fitbit you would have to make is the model. A lot of people like the Fitbit Flex. It is a bracelet type item that shows dots when you achieve something (not sure what exactly as this is not the one I have) It looks very much like those rubber bracelets you get for supporting breast cancer, or the many other charities. The Fitbit One is a clip on item. It says exactly how many steps you have taken, the time, how many flights of stairs, distance you've traveled etc. You can clip it ANYWHERE. I personally chose the one because when I dress up, I still want to count my steps and I thought a rubber bracelet would look out of place as a piece of jewelry. My fitbit one, I can clip to my bra and nobody knows I'm wearing it. The one benefit to the flex over the one that I can see, is forgetting it. If you change clothes and your one is attached to it, not only could it be forgotten, but it could also end up in the laundry! I have not yet washed mine, but I have forgotten it at home a time or two.

So that in a (very big) nutshell is my experience with Fitbit. Is it for everyone.. probably not. But I personally don't believe I would have been as successful as I have been in my weight loss without it. Good luck!

HAHAHA! You took the words right out of my mouth! When I first got my FITBIT, I wanted to cry because I didn't realize how little I moved! Desk job all day, then home to park on the couch!

Now I am ADDICTED. I have been out at 10:00 at night getting in those last few steps to hit 10,000! I have walked around the house, up and down the stairs to make my goal.

I don't eat back my exercise calories for the most part because I'm not completely convinced of the accuracy when it comes to that, but it accomplished what I wanted - IT GOT ME OFF MY BUTT.
  • jsandie76
    Options
    Fitbit only tracks stepping activities (walking/running) When I do Zumba, I just use the step data that fitbit gives me rather than adding in the class as most of the calorie burn in Zumba is stepping. If you did some type of exercise that wasn't predominately steps you would have to manually add that.

If you have used the sedentary lifestyle in mfp, that will account for approximately 5,000 of your daily steps. Until that point you will actually have a negative in the exercise calories. (example: I am set as a sedentary person, and as such mfp gives me 1460 calories to eat in a day. Prior to getting my 5,000 steps mfp will mark my exercise as a -100, and therefore I only have 1360 calories remaining) This adjusts throughout the day as you get more steps in. After you pass the sedentary mark, your calories burned will be added to your "remaining calories" (for example today I have done 7500 steps so my mfp has given me an extra 330 calories... so my total available calories available for the day is 1790)

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions just post them here or send me a message and I will be happy to answer if I can.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit flex. Got it as a birthday present and it's been a great tool.

What it is -

An activity tracker: gives you an idea of how much you are/aren't moving
    A sleep tracker: keeps track of tossing/turning
    A competitive game: You can have friends compete with one another for "steps" there's even a leader board.

What it's not -

An HRM: the calorie count isn't accurate, especially if you're doing, as some people said above, non-step movements.
    A replacement for activity: Just because you went 10k steps in a day doesn't mean you shouldn't try for more.

Overall, it's been a great investment for me. I use it faithfully and have found it to be a tool for accountability and a fun way to be competitive with others.
  • MsTiffamee
    MsTiffamee Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    All these answers are very helpful! Thank you.

Another question.

What do you think is the most helpful: HRM or Fitbit? Which will help me with my weight loss the most?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain the "fitbit" to me? We are thinking of buying one because I see a lot of people on this site referring to it, but I'm not really sure how it works! Help me out please! Thanks!

I recommend that you do a search on activity trackers and read up on the multiple ones and see which one will fit your lifestyle the best. I've been wanting a Fitbit since I first heard of it in March. It's September and I just now purchased a Vivofit (I don't have it yet, it's still shipping). It took me that long b/c there are so many choices, and for the time being, I didn't feel like I needed one because majority of them do not have a way to accurately track heart rate, which is an important feature for me. Which meant that it was either the Polar Loop, the Vivofit, or the Vivosmart. The Vivosmart was ruled out b/c it's too expensive, plus I saw no need for the added features. The Polar Loop looked too complicated to set up. And the Vivosmart has a 1 year battery life.

So I would look at all of the features, think about what you need, and then go from there. Be sure you actually will use it b/c it's a good chunk of money.

Good luck on your quest.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

Another question.

What do you think is the most helpful: HRM or Fitbit? Which will help me with my weight loss the most?

What type of activity are you doing? HRM are best for steady cardio. Fitbit will remind you to get up and move. Or you can look at one that is both an activity tracker and has HRM capability (which is the Polar Loop, Vivofit, & Vivosmart - those are the ones that I know of that have HRM capability).
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jsandie76
    Options

Another question.

I think that it depends on you. If MOST of your activity is walking/jogging and you need the accountabliilty to make sure you aren't being a couch potato, then fitbit might be the thing for you.

If on the other hand you do a lot of movement throughout the day and want to ACCURATELY account for the calories you expend during an exercising, then a hrm might be a better choice. Remember hrm only work when you are actively exercising... they are not at all accurate for daily movement.

I personally have both. /shrug
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Another question.

Your kitchen. Honestly, weight loss is 80% diet, 20% fitness. Or so that's been my experience.

I have a Fitbbit instead of a HRM because I'm not looking to obsess over every calorie I "burn". Instead, I want to focus on being more active in general (while making sure to stay under my calorie goal) as that's a far more sustainable lifestyle assistant.

It's up to you, in terms of what you need help with.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi there

HAHAHA! You took the words right out of my mouth! When I first got my FITBIT, I wanted to cry because I didn't realize how little I moved! Desk job all day, then home to park on the couch!

Now I am ADDICTED. I have been out at 10:00 at night getting in those last few steps to hit 10,000! I have walked around the house, up and down the stairs to make my goal.

I don't eat back my exercise calories for the most part because I'm not completely convinced of the accuracy when it comes to that, but it accomplished what I wanted - IT GOT ME OFF MY BUTT.

If you like the motivation you get from the FitBit, you'll love the motivation you get wearing the Garmin Vivofit. Garmin Connect engages you with Step Challenges where you compete against others to successfully complete the Step Challenge, win a Challenge in competition amongth several peers, and earn a badge or two along the way. It's somewhat habit forming for those who tend toward competitive. I LIKE it!

EDIT: And the Vivofit can be used with an ANT+ Heart Rate Monitor.
  • ballwindawn
    Options

If you have used the sedentary lifestyle in mfp, that will account for approximately 5,000 of your daily steps. Until that point you will actually have a negative in the exercise calories. (example: I am set as a sedentary person, and as such mfp gives me 1460 calories to eat in a day. Prior to getting my 5,000 steps mfp will mark my exercise as a -100, and therefore I only have 1360 calories remaining) This adjusts throughout the day as you get more steps in. After you pass the sedentary mark, your calories burned will be added to your "remaining calories" (for example today I have done 7500 steps so my mfp has given me an extra 330 calories... so my total available calories available for the day is 1790)

That is very interesting, I have been considering getting the fitbit for a while, but can't decide how much I would use it. I am basically sedentary with a desk job, but moonlight as an unpaid babysitter, housekeeper (aka Mom). I can't imagine I get under 5,000 steps and I feel like I am barely hitting my weight loss goals with the regular calories mfp gives me. Does anyone know if you can change that setting to not get extra calories or would you just have to not sync it?
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Another question.

Your kitchen. Honestly, weight loss is 80% diet, 20% fitness. Or so that's been my experience.

I totally disagree with the above quote. It's not that she's wrong, but it's wrong for me. It took me years to figure out that exercise and fitness had to come first before I could even think of doing a diet. Sure I could try, but it didn't become easy or doable until I started working out. My races and fitness goals are what keep me on track.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You don't have to sync the fitbit to MFP if you don't want to. However, if you don't want this option, you might not like the Fitbit.