My first 5k

Options
I ran in my first 5k this weekend, and it was challenging but also a lot of fun. I had started couch to 5k almost 8 weeks before and was itching to enter a race. The weather was a colder than I'd been training in, so I had to wear gloves because my fingers are stupid and get cold way too easily.

Here's me at the start just before the race:
ww5kstart_zpsd262f9cd.jpg

I started out at the front of the corral, because I didn't want to get stuck behind anyone and was willing to go fast at the start. For the first 1/8th of a mile or so there were only 5 or 6 people ahead of me. I knew there were people who would be finishing in like 17-18 minutes, my best in training (and on an indoor track) was 27 minutes, so I slowed down and watched some of the fast people pass me.

Thanks to adrenaline, I still ended up finishing my first mile in 7:02, which is faster than I had even ran "just a mile" in training so I knew I was still going too fast to keep it up. I slowed down a bit more. I finished my second mile 8:30 later, which was more reasonable. I didn't find a 3 mile marker but I ended up finishing in 23:48, which was a lot faster than I'd expected!

At the finish line they gave out medals for finishing the race. This was pretty cool! We hung out and watched a bunch of the half-marathon people finish, and then watched the awards. I ended up getting 2nd place in my age group (40-44) and was only 3/100ths of a second behind the 1st place guy. They gave me a medal for that too! Sweet!

medal0_zpsb301635a.jpg

So anyway, I know a lot of people would let something like that go to their head, but winning two medals in one day hasn't changed me at all. I'm still the same guy I was before, and still do the same things I did before:

mfpmedal1_zps6edd513c.jpg

mfpmedal2_zpsc4e94504.jpg

mfpmedal3_zpsf1af9b4f.jpg

mfpmedal4_zpsa334d507.jpg

I can't wait to do another race!

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic -- love the comedy shot, too!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hilarious :)

Good job!*

*I'll add that for the reasons you outlined above, this is precisely why I think the 5K race is the toughest distance to nail down. Start too fast, you sputter out quickly, start too slow, you have no time to make it up. Practice, practice, practice those even splits!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    This is THE funniest post I've ever seen on here! Thank you for the smile and CONGRATULATIONS on your first 5K. After my first 5K, I thought "I'll never do THAT again" and now I am doing my first Marathon in less than 3 weeks! Be careful, the addiction will get you, too!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Awesome - just remember to take them off when you weigh in. :drinker:
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hilarious. Congrats!
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Nice job.
  • rocopoc
    rocopoc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is THE funniest post I've ever seen on here! Thank you for the smile and CONGRATULATIONS on your first 5K. After my first 5K, I thought "I'll never do THAT again" and now I am doing my first Marathon in less than 3 weeks! Be careful, the addiction will get you, too!

^^ Way cool , congrats on your 1st Marathon, how excited you must be! Run Happy and Strong :)
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! My first 5k is in a few weeks and I've been doing C25K to train. I'm nervous and know I won't get a placing medal but that's fine. My goals are 1) start 2) don't die 3) finish and 4) enjoy a nice cold beer at the end of the race!

Thanks for sharing, running should be fun and you prove it is :flowerforyou:

Sláinte :drinker:
  • rocopoc
    rocopoc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats and Nice awards, inspiring :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    This is by far the greatest thing I've seen here all year. I love this. Thanks for the update and the lovely pictures.

Seriously your time was fantastic. Glad you had fun.
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Brilliant!:drinker:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

You're awesome, Pizza Man. :happy:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :drinker:
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Love all your bling pictures
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have to say I'm disappointed....

that the battle of the wasps wasn't featured in these pictures :tongue:

Awesome job and yay!!! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You are awesome. Nuff said.

:flowerforyou:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    But you don't even like running?
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Wow...I love this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!