Exercising every day?

Options
I'm finding it difficult to exercise on a regular basis. Should I be exercising every day?

Replies

• kuteinfaync
    Options
    I would say it depends on the amount of weight you would like to loose and in what amount of time you would like to lose it! If I don't exercise everyday I tend to slack so I've made it a must for at least 45 mins per day
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    I think you'll get different answers from different people, i have heard it is best to give your body a down day to recover so to speak, if it is accurate i am not sure. I work out 5 days a week ( M-F) and if time permits, an occasional sunday. When i first started i was freaked out about the idea of NOT working out b/c i didnt want to fail, but once i started taking sat/sun (somtimes) off, i noticed my workouts the following week were stronger and harder!!

I think you'll find your own pattern, what works best for you ! :)

Good Luck!!
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    It really is one of those "whatever works for you" questions. I exercise every day, and I have joined a challenge on this site to keep me doing so! For me, the idea of showing up in that thread and having to admit that I missed a day is motivation to do something every day!! For some, it's too much pressure.

As long as you are doing something at least a few days a week, that's good. Then increase as you feel ready. Only you know what is right for you and what you will actually, honestly, stick with.
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think the general rule of thumb is 30 mins a day three days a week. If you have more time and energy, do it more, if not do it less. As long as you are doing more than when you started you will notice some difference, albeit probably small.
    Don't let your body get used to any one workout though, that will stop things pretty quick!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    They say you should workout about three times a week, but I am having the opposite problem from you if I don't squeeze a workout I start feeling guilty. To get yourself to workout is the hardest part once you get going you feel good about it
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build it up - going to exercise twice a week is a big jump from not at all.

Find exercises you like to do - swim, dance, bike ride anything!

When I started it was a drag to get myself to the gym 3 times a week - now I do 6 days of exercise a week, some days twice a day! It's addictive! But take it slow and listen to your body
  • msubia
    msubia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you really want to loose weigh and keep it off you will have to get up and move that body. I believe you should move your body 6 days a week. Once you move your body and get use to it, you will not be able to go a day without it:)
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't think jumping on the treadmill or elliptical is something you HAVE to do every day. But, I think, it is important to make sure you have activity everyday... a nice calm walk or playing a game outside. Something to stay active. But, I have also read a rest day is just as important to let those muscles and joints heal.

The more you exercise the more you will crave it :)
  • mocha73
    Options
    What challenges I would like that to help me Sara
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week and love it. Of course once I go back to school, I'll have to cut it down to probably 3-4 times a week. As long as you make those sessions count with cardio, strength and core exercises, you should be all good :)
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Maybe start off a couple of times a week and then once weeks progress depending on how your body feels you can add more as you go.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Many "experts" like to sugar-coat this answer because they don't want to scare people off, but the fact is that is you are serious about weight loss you need to make a commitment and invest a lot of time in an exercise/workout program.

The specifics will be different for each individual, but, on average, those who are successful do at least 45 min of cardio 5 days a week, along with 2 strength training sessions. If you asked me for a one-sentence minimum workout requirement, that would be it.

That doesn't mean doing the same thing every day, or pushing to the limit every workout. The body still needs recovery time and still responds best to a variety of workout intensities. However, most overweight people starting exercise programs are not that fit at the start and can't work out at that high an intensity, so they don't need as much "recovery" time. Plus, you can vary your intensity and thus build in "active recovery" while still following a 5-6 day per week schedule.

I think you need to make an overall commitment to be as active as possible and to schedule an "activity" session almost daily. You can modify each "workout" based on how you feel so that some days are really easy, but I think making the commitment and scheduling more frequent "workouts" gives you a better chance for success--at least that's what the statistics would indicate.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I exercise for atleast an hour everyday.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i think if you make it too hard your just not going to do it! i go 2 -3 classes a week , do little thing that i can fit in like park the car further away from the store , walk to the recyle center at lunch time (only to get rid of the plastic bottles)

lillte changes that add up

good luck on your journey!
  • Inpjs66
    Inpjs66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You will read many places that you should at least be exercising 30 minutes a day of cardio at least 3 times a week. Noone should do cardio every day unless it's fast walking. Walking everyday is good for anyone, but any other cardio is not good to do every day. Muscle needs time to grow and the only way it can do that is to have down time.

I tend to work out at least 5 days a week taking Monday and Thursday off. I strength train every day however switch between my upper and lower body from one day to the next.

You will figure out what is best as you go along. I do remember a few years ago, I had more results 3 to 4 times a week, but I wasn't this heavy either.

Good luck and keep us informed!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Many "experts" like to sugar-coat this answer because they don't want to scare people off, but the fact is that is you are serious about weight loss you need to make a commitment and invest a lot of time in an exercise/workout program.

The specifics will be different for each individual, but, on average, those who are successful do at least 45 min of cardio 5 days a week, along with 2 strength training sessions. If you asked me for a one-sentence minimum workout requirement, that would be it.

That doesn't mean doing the same thing every day, or pushing to the limit every workout. The body still needs recovery time and still responds best to a variety of workout intensities. However, most overweight people starting exercise programs are not that fit at the start and can't work out at that high an intensity, so they don't need as much "recovery" time. Plus, you can vary your intensity and thus build in "active recovery" while still following a 5-6 day per week schedule.

I think you need to make an overall commitment to be as active as possible and to schedule an "activity" session almost daily. You can modify each "workout" based on how you feel so that some days are really easy, but I think making the commitment and scheduling more frequent "workouts" gives you a better chance for success--at least that's what the statistics would indicate.

I could not have put it any better. :smile:

Especially the bit abour sugarcoating this issue!
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    I try to work out 5 to 6 days per week; a day of rest here and there is good, IMO.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    3 times a week I run for 3.8/4 miles, Sat, power walk 5 miles, rest of the time rest, your body does need time to rest also will you be working out 5,6,7 days week when you reach your ideal weight loss? this is life change for me and I know that I will not be working/have never worked out every day and certainly not twice a day. Want to keep this body (when I achive the loss I want!) for the rest of my life:bigsmile:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I take a break on Wednesdays and Fridays. On those days, I just do Yoga. It stretches me really well and helps with any muscle soreness I have from the more heavy duty workouts.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you'll definitely get answers from different people. I consider myself a light exerciser, so I do it 6-7 days a week. Sometimes twice a day. (rarely)

I used to DREAD exercise. I've lost 20 pounds before not doing much of it, and all the weight came back because I didn't address my original issue with food: mood.

If I was happy, i'd eat. Stressed - eat. Depressed - eat. Now, instead of eating, I do 20 minutes of yoga, or walk around the block for 30 minutes at a brisk pace. And now I seriously can't live without exercising. It's so therapeutic and I feel amazing. I know the weight is going to stay off this time.

I recommend you find an exercise you love. Do DVDs at home. Go for a walk. Whatever it is, use it to help you succeed.

Good luck!