Deprived vs Rewarded... which is it really?

Options
I'm nearly half way through a 21 day detox. This plan appealed to me mainly because it's supposed to help with finding out if you have any food addictions, allergies or intolerances. Losing a few lbs as a side affect is a bonus. But I digress... On Saturday, I started thinking how deprived I felt. I saw all the food in the fridge and the cupboards that the rest of my family are able to eat while I can't eat any of it (I'm actually eating quite a bit and enjoying my food, which is a must for me - was just having a 'poor me' moment).

But then I started thinking... (yikes, dangerous territory ahead) by not eating CRAP (Carbohydrates - Refined And Processed), am I actually depriving myself or am I in fact rewarding myself by not subjecting my body to all those empty calories that never fill me up or really satisfy me anyway (just leave me wanting more)? What if, instead of seeing those foods that I was craving as a special treat, I saw them a punishment and a saboteur to all the hard work I've been doing (planning meals when ingredients are limited is a crazy amount of work), would that make a difference, possibly changing my desires with my thoughts?

I'm now getting to the stage in this detox when I'm actually craving the crap less. But the temptation is still there... lurking in the cupboards. However, this thinking thing is kind of working. I don't want to punish my body with stuff that isn't both nutritional and satisfying. That's how I feel today anyway. Not sure how I'll feel about it tomorrow... Or on day 22...

Do you ever try to talk yourself out of unwise food choices and actually win the argument? If so, what are your tactics?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I used to think of food as "good" or "bad" when I first started. It was easier to think that the foods that made me fat were the cause and not the actual problem, which was simply overconsumption.

What I've learned from my year on MFP and researching is that. Yes, nutrient dense whole foods are great. They leave you satisfied longer, they are typically less calorie dense they contain vital vitamins and minerals. These are still a staple in my diet.

BUT once my nutrient needs are met, what is wrong with ice cream or pizza, cookies or chips? Nothing. As long as I'm fueling my body properly, getting my bodies nutrient needs, there is NOTHING wrong with these foods. That's where the gray area is in all this. I love food. Always will.

I don't need to punish myself by being a martyr of weight loss by abstaining from foods I enjoy. Instead, I portion them into my day and move on with life...not worrying about what's "good" or "bad". When we put a moral value on food, we give it power over us. I refuse to live my life like that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I used to think of food as "good" or "bad" when I first started. It was easier to think that the foods that made me fat were the cause and not the actual problem, which was simply overconsumption.

What I've learned from my year on MFP and researching is that. Yes, nutrient dense whole foods are great. They leave you satisfied longer, they are typically less calorie dense they contain vital vitamins and minerals. These are still a staple in my diet.

BUT once my nutrient needs are met, what is wrong with ice cream or pizza, cookies or chips? Nothing. As long as I'm fueling my body properly, getting my bodies nutrient needs, there is NOTHING wrong with these foods. That's where the gray area is in all this. I love food. Always will.

I don't need to punish myself by being a martyr of weight loss by abstaining from foods I enjoy. Instead, I portion them into my day and move on with life...not worrying about what's "good" or "bad". When we put a moral value on food, we give it power over us. I refuse to live my life like that.

All of this.

If you have trouble with not being able to stop then I think you should absolutely work on controlling your access to the foods that cause problems for you. But I think the ultimate goal should be to work foods that you enjoy but that are less nutrient dense into the context of an overall healthy diet with appropriate calorie and macro goals.

Also you don't need a "detox"-- that's just a buzzword:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

All of this.

If you have trouble with not being able to stop then I think you should absolutely work on controlling your access to the foods that cause problems for you. But I think the ultimate goal should be to work foods that you enjoy but that are less nutrient dense into the context of an overall healthy diet with appropriate calorie and macro goals.

Also you don't need a "detox"-- that's just a buzzword:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/
    yep
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

This should be a sticky.
    SO WELL SAID!
  • KathyPerry70
    KathyPerry70 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback.

I read the article about detoxes and have to say, I completely agree. Just to clarify, this 'detox' was more about finding out if I have any intolerances, allergies or addictions, and I also saw it as a way to kick start me back into tracking my food and exercise, because this worked for me before. The programme I'm on came with no kit or pills or suggestions of coffee enemas (WHAT?!?!). It's about eating real food. As that article said, "When it comes to simple dietary changes, there’s little evidence of harm. Eating more quinoa and kale, and less processed and refined foods is reasonable dietary advice for everyone." I truly believe my stomach and liver and kidneys do a fantastic job - the job they were meant to do. So this detox, for me certainly, wasn't about ridding myself of toxins.

So confession time: I do want to lose some pounds and inches. And I know from experience that the most effective way to do this is through diet [not dieting, but just what I eat and how much of it]. The way I eat has to be sustainable. But the way I was eating didn't mesh with my desire to be less fat and tired and generally dissatisfied with myself. So I need to make some changes - replacing the less nutritious with something more nutritious, filling and satisfying. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'll never eat crap again - no way is that sustainable for me.

But are you all saying that you never have to talk yourself out of eating something (or more of something) because you know it's just not the best thing for you?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback.

I read the article about detoxes and have to say, I completely agree. Just to clarify, this 'detox' was more about finding out if I have any intolerances, allergies or addictions, and I also saw it as a way to kick start me back into tracking my food and exercise, because this worked for me before. The programme I'm on came with no kit or pills or suggestions of coffee enemas (WHAT?!?!). It's about eating real food. As that article said, "When it comes to simple dietary changes, there’s little evidence of harm. Eating more quinoa and kale, and less processed and refined foods is reasonable dietary advice for everyone." I truly believe my stomach and liver and kidneys do a fantastic job - the job they were meant to do. So this detox, for me certainly, wasn't about ridding myself of toxins.

So confession time: I do want to lose some pounds and inches. And I know from experience that the most effective way to do this is through diet [not dieting, but just what I eat and how much of it]. The way I eat has to be sustainable. But the way I was eating didn't mesh with my desire to be less fat and tired and generally dissatisfied with myself. So I need to make some changes - replacing the less nutritious with something more nutritious, filling and satisfying. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'll never eat crap again - no way is that sustainable for me.

But are you all saying that you never have to talk yourself out of eating something (or more of something) because you know it's just not the best thing for you?

Ah okay. The term you're looking for is "elimination diet" then, not detox.

And no, what I'm saying is that I don't label foods good or bad (or crap. No food is crap). Any food can fit into my goals. When I think about eating something I ask myself whether it's going to help me reach my goal that day. Usually my goals are to get enough protein, enough fat, a few servings of fruit/veg, and have something that's just enjoyable. So I pre-log and I start with the top of the list and work my way down. Once I've hit all my goals I usually have about 300 calories left over to have something that doesn't offer a ton of nutritional benefit but which is good for my mental health. I still consider those foods good for me, just in a different sense.

So a cupcake might not fit my goals today and so I might not eat it. But that doesn't mean it's inherently bad. Another day it might fit just fine and if so I'll have it. It isn't "crap" it's just food.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Well...

I love reduced fat Cheez-its...love...love...love those little square orange things...I talk to them sometimes...such as...

I will eat only one serving...they win...I eat more...more...more...

It is the one food that I TRY not to buy...they win on occasion..not often...but sometimes...when I get cocky and think that I am finally the one in control...mistake...bad mistake...

So...

When I first started losing weight I knew that they were the one thing that I needed to not keep in the house...however...

I would go to the grocery store...would stay out of the reduced fat Cheez-it aisle...but...

They would call out to me..."YOU FORGOT US"..."OVER HERE"..."DON"T LEAVE US"...

I would fight back..."STAY BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE"..."STAY AWAY FROM ME"..."NO!!!!"...

I don't know OP...I didn't think of food as the punishment...however...I used the results of me over-consuming as a means of punishment.

Food is just food...some more nutritious than others...it can all fit...it is all about choices...

I swear though...reduced fat Cheez-its...those little square orange guys...can talk...and they can be pretty convincing...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Well...

I love reduced fat Cheez-its...love...love...love those little square orange things...I talk to them sometimes...such as...

I will eat only one serving...they win...I eat more...more...more...

It is the one food that I TRY not to buy...they win on occasion..not often...but sometimes...when I get cocky and think that I am finally the one in control...mistake...bad mistake...

So...

When I first started losing weight I knew that they were the one thing that I needed to not keep in the house...however...

I would go to the grocery store...would stay out of the reduced fat Cheez-it aisle...but...

They would call out to me..."YOU FORGOT US"..."OVER HERE"..."DON"T LEAVE US"...

I would fight back..."STAY BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE"..."STAY AWAY FROM ME"..."NO!!!!"...

I don't know OP...I didn't think of food as the punishment...however...I used the results of me over-consuming as a means of punishment.

Food is just food...some more nutritious than others...it can all fit...it is all about choices...

I swear though...reduced fat Cheez-its...those little square orange guys...can talk...and they can be pretty convincing...

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • KathyPerry70
    Options
    Okay, one more clarification then: when I say crap, it's my acronym for Carbs that are Refined And Processed - all those lovely tasting sugary and salty goodies that come in pretty shiny boxes and wrappers that call out to us from the supermarket shelves, or our own fridge or cupboard. Like @Annie's Cheez-Its. We all have our 'Cheeze-Its', don't we (can't just be me and @Annie!)? @ILiftHeavyAcr, sounds like yours may be sugary treats.

@ILiftHeavyAcr, you mentioned you pre-log. And it sounds like you don't log the cupcakes first (top down). But if you have some room left for a little something, then there's no guilt and all pleasure from your "mentally healthful" foods. In that case, do you think of it as a reward or is it just a pleasant way to round off your calorie intake for the day? What happens if you get a hankering for some ice cream but you've met your quota for the day? Do you allow it for the satisfaction it brings? Or are you just able to say, "Nope, you've had your lot for the day - try again tomorrow."?

It's exactly that conversation that @Annie has with her Cheez-Its that I'm curious about. She's right, it's all about choices. But what motivates you to make one choice over another when it comes to food? Is it the nutritional value, the pleasure it brings you or something else? And how does that conversation go in your head?

For me, that internal conversation is never about the extra helping of steamed broccoli and grilled chicken breast that might put me over my calorie goals. It's the CRAP food (as defined above in the most non-judgmental way possible) that gets the conversation and my emotions heated up. Because, to steal from George Orwell, all food may be equal but some is more equal than others.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

It's exactly that conversation that @Annie has with her Cheez-Its that I'm curious about. She's right, it's all about choices. But what motivates you to make one choice over another when it comes to food? Is it the nutritional value, the pleasure it brings you or something else? And how does that conversation go in your head?

For me...it is the "something else".

That something else is about me taking back control of my life. The food...exercise...losing weight...they are all just a means of me controlling the things that I can and letting go of the things that I can't.

I am not perfect...I have my moments when I listen to the Cheez-its...I give in some days. Maybe some here on this site are perfect...they are in complete control...I applaud those people. However...I am not...I am okay with that because...I am in control enough to get up the next day and...start all over.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    years ago, when i first started low-carbing (love that CRAP acronym of yours, by the way :drinker:), i learned to reclassify edible items into "food" and "not food." once i did that, my brain started equating cupcakes and cookies with office supplies... so i was as likely to eat a cupcake as i was to eat a stapler or tape dispenser.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

@ILiftHeavyAcr, you mentioned you pre-log. And it sounds like you don't log the cupcakes first (top down). But if you have some room left for a little something, then there's no guilt and all pleasure from your "mentally healthful" foods. In that case, do you think of it as a reward or is it just a pleasant way to round off your calorie intake for the day? What happens if you get a hankering for some ice cream but you've met your quota for the day? Do you allow it for the satisfaction it brings? Or are you just able to say, "Nope, you've had your lot for the day - try again tomorrow."?

I pretty much always have room-- I make sure of it by tweaking everything the night before. I don't think of it as a reward-- it's just food that I enjoy. If I've already met my calorie goal I don't have it. But that's the nice thing about pre-logging-- the only time that really happens is if I've got everything all planned out and then someone surprises me with lunch or something. But if that happens I just leave it in the freezer or cupboard or whatever. It's never really been a problem.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    For me, that internal conversation is never about the extra helping of steamed broccoli and grilled chicken breast that might put me over my calorie goals. It's the CRAP food (as defined above in the most non-judgmental way possible) that gets the conversation and my emotions heated up. Because, to steal from George Orwell, all food may be equal but some is more equal than others.

I'm not sure you can non-judgmentally call something crap. The judgment is right there in the word. But at any rate, some foods are more nutrient dense than others, like I said. Those should absolutely be the basis for your diet. I just think that thinking of the less nutrient dense foods as inherently bad isn't a healthy mentally. In the right context they're good. In the wrong context they're bad. But the food itself is neither.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Do you ever try to talk yourself out of unwise food choices and actually win the argument? If so, what are your tactics?

I do, but I don't really have any tactics to share. I think my willpower is just stronger on some days than others.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am confused about "Rewarded."

Food is not good or bad. It just IS

How can it be spoken about as a reward ? ?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I am confused about "Rewarded."

Food is not good or bad. It just IS

How can it be spoken about as a reward ? ?

Money is not good or bad, but I enjoy a monetary reward. You can reward yourself with anything.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    ^
    Exactly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Personally, sure I do, but it's just about whether it fits in my goals for the day or not. It's pretty similar to what's been said in this thread already, but I generally have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to have for my meals, which necessarily will include a certain amount of protein and vegetables and so on. I don't prelog, but I can pretty much tell at this point. So then I work in something that's more dessert-like, like ice cream (which has been my favorite through the summer, anyway), and have that too, in a quantity that fits. If I don't have the calories, I don't have it, but it's no hardship since I'll have it soon enough.

If I'm offered something at work, say, that isn't part of my plan (like someone brings in really good cannoli), I figure out if I can make it fit (having it instead of the ice cream or--if it's more calories and really worth it, by having less or none of my planned dinner potatoes or some such), then I might do that. Or I'll decide only to have a small bit of it. The idea is just that I shouldn't overeat or end up with inadequate nutrition for the day because of it, although on occasion a day will go over (I usually plan this and have lower days the rest of the week) or I'll have a less nutritionally sound day, of course, because that's life. It's just about having that be a rare exception rather than doing it all the time. (And since my issue has been emotional eating, not ever justifying it as a way to make things better or because I feel bad or the like. If I feel bad I try to do something else to make it better.)

One way in which this is easier for me is that I usually try not to eat other than at meal times (my dessert in the evening is basically like an extension of dinner), so it's not like I'm constantly thinking about whether or not to eat something. It's more a matter of whether to switch out one item for another, and if so they have to be comparable enough that it doesn't sacrifice my goals at the end of the day for veggies and protein and calories, etc., overall.

I'm sure everyone has their ways of doing this, though. Mine are just what work for me.
  • KathyPerry70
    Options
    An article on this topic came up on my newsfeed today... Apparently you CAN retrain your brain to want some foods less. Unfortunately this article doesn't say how: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/09/train-your-brain-to-crave-healthy-foods-yes-its-possible/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=Facebook
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    An article on this topic came up on my newsfeed today... Apparently you CAN retrain your brain to want some foods less. Unfortunately this article doesn't say how: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/09/train-your-brain-to-crave-healthy-foods-yes-its-possible/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=Facebook

I think you do it just as you suggested - you talk yourself out of the bad stuff. Sure, you will still want it, but you will also learn to love other more healthy things along the way and just perhaps you'll want it less. Or at least resistance will be easier. And it's really all about balancing the good and bad*.

*I don't care about the semantic argument of good / bad. Call it what you want - junk, bad, not nutrient dense, treats - it's still the stuff we need to eat sparingly.