Way OT, but I need some input....

Options

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Here's what I'll say.

95% is not 100%. I had ideas when I was in my early twenties that have not stuck. One of those choices was to not have children, and in my late thirties, I'm still at peace with that. That being said, there are lots of other things I was "sure" of in my early twenties that I can't believe I ever thought now. But about the kids, I wasn't "there with that" and I'm still not. Just not for me.

What she said. I was 100% at 23; I'm 100% sure now that I don't want them. That doesn't mean in 4 years, I won't change my mind. However, if it will help the cyst not return, I would go ahead and get the tubal sterilization. You can always adopt.
  • tilly6277
    tilly6277 Posts: 202
    Options
    I decided at about your age to not have kids and after years of being on birth control my husband took the big step up and got a vasecomy. We are both 31 and the doctors never even questioned it when we told them we do not want children. I have a wonderful niece that I can have when I want her and when MY time allows and when I have had to much I send her home. Kids are great, they just are not for me.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    just a though - what if your DH does the procedure?
    Did you think about that?
    isn't it less invasive on the whole?

It has been something we talked about as well. Has the same chances of reversal. And, naturally, he's afraid to have anyone touch his "jewels" with a sharp instrument. :laugh:

A few of you have mentioned IUDs. I have researched that as well. For the most part, they sound like a blessing, but they actually have been know to cause much heavier, much longer periods as well as uterian (sp?) issues. And for a woman who has never had a child, especially a natural birth, they cervix would have to be "broken" and the IUD is actually less likely to stay in place for a woman with no children.

I am very grateful for all the shows of support and input of ideas. This is an "unbiased" area for me. I can't thank you guys enough. I will continue to research and discuss with DH and I will keep you guys posted!
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... the only real experience I have in this area is a close friend from grade school. Married young, had 2 kids, got her tubes tied. All done. Until she got divorced.... married again to a wonderful guy with no kids.... he loves her 2 boys like they were his own but I know her single biggest regret has been to not have a baby with her 2nd husband.

Not sure how relevant or helpful that is, but I guess my point is the same as everyone else's. If you're not 100% sure - WAIT.

Of course I have another good friend who's been convinced for years she doesn't want kids. She's 30, still sure. I'd tell her go for it. I mean she's REALLY SURE. Doesn't even like other people's kids. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Fab140
    Options
    I decided at about your age to not have kids and after years of being on birth control my husband took the big step up and got a vasecomy. We are both 31 and the doctors never even questioned it when we told them we do not want children. I have a wonderful niece that I can have when I want her and when MY time allows and when I have had to much I send her home. Kids are great, they just are not for me.

Thank you, you said it perfectly.

And, Kirsti, the doctor would, but only after having the consoltation with DH and I. He wants to be sure we're sure. :flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Options
    Hmmm... the only real experience I have in this area is a close friend from grade school. Married young, had 2 kids, got her tubes tied. All done. Until she got divorced.... married again to a wonderful guy with no kids.... he loves her 2 boys like they were his own but I know her single biggest regret has been to not have a baby with her 2nd husband.

Not sure how relevant or helpful that is, but I guess my point is the same as everyone else's. If you're not 100% sure - WAIT.

Of course I have another good friend who's been convinced for years she doesn't want kids. She's 30, still sure. I'd tell her go for it. I mean she's REALLY SURE. Doesn't even like other people's kids. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    At 23, I'd wait.
    Not that your decision isn't valid. That is not the case AT ALL.
    But many decisions we make are very valid for the time period but we may not feel the same down the road. A few years can pass and seems like eons. You may never want kids, which is a great life choice, but knowing you still have the option to twenty years down the road, if you wanted to.... I dunno. I'm only 27 myself, and still so young (although I feel so old).

I'd use an IUD or even a tubal (which can be reversed).

BTW, what does 'tubal sterilization' entail??? Will THAT screw with your hormones like menopause would? Will they remove the ovaries?

I would also have to say that an IUD is the way to go. There is a non-hormonal version available called "Paragard" and then there is a version that uses a small amount of hormones to control fertility called "Mirena". Both are an awesome choice and are long-term! I have a Mirena and I love it. They're just as effective or even slightly more effective than getting your "tubes tied". Plus, they are completely, 100% reversible.
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    i didn't want kids when i was 23 either, and i thought for sure i would never want them, just wasn't my thing. now that i'm older things have changed a lot and i really look forward to being a parent someday. just something to think about, ,you never know what might change in 5 or 10 years
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was a 26 year old newlywed when I was diagnosed with uterine cancer so my imput on this might be a wee bit skewed :huh: Several things come to mind for me.......there are examples of men like my brother who had a vastectomy after their second child was born, only to have it reversed 3 years later and went on to have five more children (still think they turbo-charged him when they undid it). Then there's examples of women who had a tubal ligation, only to have a little surprise pop up a couple of years down the road (personally know someone that happened to). An option that you might also want to consider is ~ if you decide later that you do indeed want children, then adoption is something to consider.
  • Fab140
    Options
    I was a 26 year old newlywed when I was diagnosed with uterine cancer so my imput on this might be a wee bit skewed :huh: Several things come to mind for me.......there are examples of men like my brother who had a vastectomy after their second child was born, only to have it reversed 3 years later and went on to have five more children (still think they turbo-charged him when they undid it). Then there's examples of women who had a tubal ligation, only to have a little surprise pop up a couple of years down the road (personally know someone that happened to). An option that you might also want to consider is ~ if you decide later that you do indeed want children, then adoption is something to consider.

And adoption is something that I believe in totally. (It'd be nice if more celebrities adopted from our own over filled foster homes, but don't get me started)

As for the surprises, that is something the doctor talked about (sounds to me that someone upstairs was making a few decisions of his own......lol)

I think more talking with the DH will be in order.
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor about the reversal if you were to get a tubal ligation. When I had mine done my doctor used what they call Hulka Clips. Which are totally reversable if I had made the decision to have them undone if I wanted to have another baby.

here is a link for it.

http://www.tubal-reversal.net/tubal_ligation-tubal_ring-tubal_clip.htm

Good luck on the cyst removal. :flowerforyou:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I'm going to vote for the wait option.

You've got your whole life ahead of you to make the RIGHT decision for you. If by any chance you were to have a "surprise" that could be the best part of your life.

Have you seen the movie The Waitress? lol this may have something to do with this, but the girl was pregnant by her awful husband and she really didn't want to have anything to do with the baby, but once it was born, it was her whole world.

Good luck on your cyst! :flowerforyou:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I've been on just about every form of BC there is from the diaphram to IUD.

I cannot handle BC pills - the hormones throw my body SO out of wack!

The copper paraguard IUD made me bleed SO heavily for 3 weeks of of the month and I cramped up - no good.

I LOVED Mirena IUD - it made my periods lighter, and I never knew it was there except for some very light cramping around TOM. The hormones are localized to your uterus, so my body was fine (NOT like on BC pills, where it is systematic). I had it for several years, removed it and conceived DS #3 within 7 months and now hubby has been tied!

I'm so glad to be done with BC options. I agree with the other posters - I would wait a few more years before getting your tubes tied. But I have a friend whose daughter had her tubes tied at 18, and she never regretted it. You'll know what you need to do when the time comes to it. Hugs :flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I really appreciate all the well wishes and input.

I will let you know how the removal goes and where "the baby maker" stands when it's all said and done. I'll have my talk with DH, but ultimately, it comes down to what I want and how I feel.

:flowerforyou:
    You're the best!!
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. :flowerforyou:

As some of you may already know, I have been suffering from an ovarian cyst for awhile now. It's about the size of my actual ovary. So, after many appointments, the doctor is finally going to go in and remove the dang thing.

Here's the part I would like some input on: My husband and I are 95% positive that we do not want children. I have made sure that I am not just hopping on the bandwagon with him by playing with babies and children and hanging out with mothers and mothers to be. I know that it is something I do not feel would fit into my life. This being the case, I have requested tubal sterilization. (Birth control hormones drive me CRAZY. I guess I have enough hormones!! :tongue: )

What I am wondering, are there any people out there that have decided to not have children at a younge age and what regrets do you have, if any?

(NOTE TO THE FAB MOMS AND POPS! I respect you and your decision to have children :flowerforyou: In no way am I trying to tork off the great parents here. Just trying to solidify my own decision and preparing for any future issues.)

Thanks so much!
    M

May I ask how old you are? Keep in mind that a lot of doctors will not actually do that procedure if you are under 30 for the reason that people change their minds. The would definatley do it if t were hazardous to your health not to but I have always been told that if you are under 30 they won't do it. I have also heard that some are more likely to do it under the age of 30 if you already have kids. Just something to think about in case you get your hopes up and they say no.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options

Thank you, you said it perfectly.

And, Kirsti, the doctor would, but only after having the consoltation with DH and I. He wants to be sure we're sure. :flowerforyou:

I would be sure you ARE sure before ligation.

I had an IUD for years, no problems. I had it put in when I was 18. That was in 1972. I'm sure they have gotten better. I had the old version:laugh: The only problem was the insertion caused a lot of cramping. If you do get an IUD you can ask for a mild relaxer like Valium or something similar to mitigate the cramping when the cervix is dilated. (They didn't give drugs at all in 1972; but it should be standard procedure now, I would think.)

The hormones wreak havoc with me, too. At 14 I knew I didn't want kids. At 54, I have no regrets. Oh, and no kids. :laugh:

Good luck whatever you do. Listen to your :heart:

Cheryl
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    My brother who is only a year younger than me married a woman a couple of years ago. She got pregnant when she was 18 and had her tubes tied afterwards and now that she is married to my brother she would like to have another one. That was over 12 years ago taht she had that done. Now they have to save up to have them implanted in her. Like some of the other ones said before I would wait because you are still young and you very well could change your mind but if you really want to have it I had a different procedure done and absolutly loved it. I am 32 and have 3 kids. My oldest is 10 and my youngest is 13 mths. My doctor told me about ESSURE. IT can be done in the doctors office and it only took about 15 minutes to actually have it done. They inserted these little springs inside my tubes and then tissue grows around it. 3 mths after having it done I had a special xray done to make sure my tubes were blocked and they are. It was so much cheaper than having surgery. No hospital stay, no going under the knife, no being put to sleep. The only thing I had was a valium and my mother in law drove me home. Very simple procedure and I would recommend it if that is something you really want.

Connie
  • msce2
    msce2 Posts: 35
    Options
    After I had my 2nd child, I asked the doc about getting it done, and they refused. They said I was too young. I guess people who are in their early 20's are more likely to regret their decision.

Would your hubby be open to getting a vas? My cousin's DH had one of those and I hear they are more reversible than the tubes being tied. They now have a beautiful almost 2yr old daughter. Just a thought.

Best of luck whatever your decision is!!!!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm hesitated to weigh in on this one but it appears that all but one person who replied to you made the decision to have children or been happily surprised. I suspect that those who were unhappily surprised would never really step forward. I only met one women in my life who admitted that she should not have had children. I've met dozens upon dozens who should not have had children but did.

I'm 46 and I don't have children. That was a choice I made years ago. I've always enjoyed being around children but never wanted my own. I don't regret my decision. Now, I do have days. My sister married and had children very young so our lives have been very different. There are days (maybe a couple a year) when she envies my life I envy hers. Nothing says that you'll never think about it and wonder "what if". That's just natural. But, even when I have those days, I'm comfortable that I made the right decision.

Raising a child is the hardest and most selfless thing that you can do. I greatly admire the men and women who do it well and do it because they love it. I admire those who do it well, even when it doesn't make them happy but they recognize the responsibility. I don't recommend the latter. Raising a child should be joyous not a burden. I also have a lot of respect for those who decide not to have children. I don't have respect for those who have children and raise them irresponsibly or don't raise them at all. It's criminal, in my opinion.

I think there are too many people in our society who have children when they don't really want them. I think they convince themselves that they are supposed to want them and that's what "people do."

With that said.....the fact that you are asking our opinion indicates that you aren't really sure right now. Think it through before making a final decision and really examine what is driving your decision. In addition to examing how you feel about raising children, think , if you should change your mind, does that child needs to come from your own body. There are options like adoption or fostering. You need to understand if the other options are viable for you. That could very heavily influence your decision as well.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Well.....the only advice I can give, is to wait....
    When I was 19 I swore up and DOWN that I didn't want kids.
    When I was 22 I got pregnant and it just changed my world and I'll gladly have more!! lol
    I'd get an IUD (those can last 5 yrs I believe) and I'd wait it out a while and if you still feel the exact same way at 30, than go for it
    Also, I'd just like to point out that my friends have said (at a younger age) they didn't want kids at ALL, then when they tried to get pregnant when they were much older and couldn't they were devastated.....so yeah, just be careful before making anything *permanent*

=o)