Thinking about joining a gym?

Options
So I have already lost 10 lbs (current weight 139 lbs) and would like to lose about 10 more. But I'm also wanting to tone. A lot of people on here have said that they think I should lift weights since I don't have much to lose.

So, since it is starting to turn cooler (at, least where I live), I am considering joining a gym. So a few questions...

Since I have never done any of this before, what should I do? Should I start on the treadmill and go from there? From the treadmill, what all should I do? Leg presses? Elliptical? Just standing and lifting weights? I don't know what all to do or how long to do them or how much weight I should do, either. So I'm pretty much completely lost.

I'm 5'6'', 20 years old, female, and weigh 139 lbs. So if that helps, maybe you could tell me how much I should start lifting? I don't have much muscle at all - as sad as it is, I can't even complete a full push-up. I have decent stomach muscles, though, and can walk as long and far as you want me to.

Help?

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    The elliptical and treadmill won't get you where you want to be. Join the gym. Make sure they have a squat or power rack. Do strong lifts or some program that involves progressive big lifts. Hit your macros and correct calories everyday. Be consistent.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You lost your weight. You look great. Don't stress about being on the darn treadmill and elliptical. Creating cardio goals can be great for health and maybe burning extra calories is nice so you can eat some cheese cake, but now weights will help you transform your body. Maybe try reading a book because it's possible to waste a lot of time and money in the gym if you're not really training your body. I don't follow the program, but New Rules of Lifting for Women is a fun, easy read. I think the program sounds pretty good too.
  • summer92008
    Options
    That's what I want to do is tone - but I just have no idea where to start. I'm not even sure which machine does what! I just hate to go in there with all of these guys and girls who are pros at it and little ole me walks over and starts with the least amount of weight possible. I just feel like it will be a little embarrassing and that others at the gym will think I'm a joke.

Also...I have a pic up of how my body looks. Is there a general rule in which I can figure out how long it will take my to get toned? Just tones and firm - not muscular.
  • juliepickett7
    Options
    whenever i feel intimidated by a machine at the gym, i just remind myself that every person in there had to have a first time too. go get 'em, killer!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people think. There will be people in there who are a hundred pounds over weight, some really fit, some people knowing what they're doing, and some not knowing at all. The more you focus on yourself, the better form you will have and that is really important. If you've never done any kind of weight training before, you should read, try a trainer out for a little, or attend some classes at the gym. Even if an instructor isn't a true trainer, they usually give you tips about keeping your core engaged, flat back, etc. They'll also be doing the exercises along with you. Then you can use the same technique when you're out on the weight floor alone.

There is no rule about how long it will take you to get "toned", though I don't really like that word. I've been weight lifting while losing for 3 and a half to 4 months and those are my results.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I suggest trying P90X. I've had great success with it and I lost 15 lbs my first round. Save your money and time, workout at home. Gyms will cost you $375-$600 a year, monthly payments of $40-$60. Plus you will fork out the first and last payments on your first visit. P90X costs $120 and you have it forever. You will gain muscle and lost weight. Don't hurt yourself lifting heavy weights.

Let me know if you want more info.

Coach Dustin

*No no
  • summer92008
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people think. There will be people in there who are a hundred pounds over weight, some really fit, some people knowing what they're doing, and some not knowing at all. The more you focus on yourself, the better form you will have and that is really important. If you've never done any kind of weight training before, you should read, try a trainer out for a little, or attend some classes at the gym. Even if an instructor isn't a true trainer, they usually give you tips about keeping your core engaged, flat back, etc. They'll also be doing the exercises along with you. Then you can use the same technique when you're out on the weight floor alone.

There is no rule about how long it will take you to get "toned", though I don't really like that word. I've been weight lifting while losing for 3 and a half to 4 months and those are my results.

Are the results in your profile pic from the other one you have in a bikini? How often do you go to the gym? May I ask what you're lifting (if that even makes any sense, idk lol)
  • arditarose
    Options

Are the results in your profile pic from the other one you have in a bikini? How often do you go to the gym? May I ask what you're lifting (if that even makes any sense, idk lol)

Umm...the one of me in the bikini at the smaller weight was taken like a month before my profile pic. I was a little heavier in the bikini pic and hadn't had quite as much progress on arms and abdomen.

I go to the gym 5 days a week, if I do 6 then the 6th day is just something fun like zumba or some active rest with yoga. I lift upper body twice a week and lower body twice a week. It's hard to go into detail about what I lift but my important things are Lat pull, low row, high row, bicep curl, chest press, tri-kick back (pushups, I know it's not weight lifting) as well as additional accessory work. Bottom-bar bell squat, dead lifts, lunges, bulgarian split squat, hack squat, etc.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I also don't want to go too much into detail because I'm not a professional and definitely don't have it all figured out. I work with a trainer and am still learning :) Some other people on here know a lot better.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    push ups can be weight lifting :) Put plates on your back, wear a weight vest or put weights in a backpack and wear it while doing them. It really increases the intensity. I just moved up to BW + 30 and it is really making my chest stronger :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    push ups can be weight lifting :) Put plates on your back, wear a weight vest or put weights in a backpack and wear it while doing them. It really increases the intensity. I just moved up to BW + 30 and it is really making my chest stronger

Ooh right! I don't know how I forgot about that. That's my next goal. Sounds fun.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The weight plates on your back can be a bit tricky if your form is off in any way because they can slide off but once you figure it out it works well. 2 plates is even more of a balancing act LOL
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm going to die. I really look forward to this though.
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just started Jamie Eason's 12 week program and loving it.... great way to build up strength! It's free and tells you what to do on what day and how to do it. :) Good luck!
    I think a personal trainer is best but free is in my budget.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Body weight resistance training is as legitimate as pushing around iron, both are good. Bodyweight training includes things like pushups, crunches, squats and on. There are many books on it, one is "You Are Your Own Gym". If you cannot do a full pushup (I can't right now) or a full squat, there are modifications.

On the other hand, joining a gym is good for the social motivation. Being in a venue where everyone is exercising encourages you to exercise. Often the distractions around home are insurmountable, thus the number of home exercise machines serving as clothes racks.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, go in with a plan. The suggestions of New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Lifts are great suggestions. Bodybuilding.com has set plans that more or less try to gear towards your fitness level and fitness goal -- when I started out I tried one of the 12 week programs, the Lee Lebrada one.

If you've never used the machines or free weights before, Youtube has many videos of how to properly use them. There's nothing worse than just aimlessly wandering around not knowing what to do, or half-heartedly performing an exercise, or not knowing how to use or adjust the machines, believe me I know.

I believe one rule of thumb was (correct me if I'm wrong), if you can perform 10 reps without much exertion, you need to go heavier. If you can barely do 5 reps, you need to lighten the weight load.

Good luck!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I use Stronglifts because it's easy and free (you can find everything online and there's an app). I would suggest looking at it and then having a trainer help you figure out the form for all the exercises. Or do the New Rules. Or ask a trainer to put together a simple compound lifting programme for you using barbells & dumbells.