Coconut Water?

Options

Replies

• doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I love it and usually drink about two a week. They are great to drink after a work-out to replenish your body with electrolytes and potassium (helps reduce muscle cramping). I get mine from regular grocery stores in the specialty drink aisles. O.N.E is the brand
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is great for you for the reasons stated above. Just don't forget it still contains calories, so don't go overboard. I use to drink them instead of water, looking back now I regret all of those wasted calories that I was clueless about.

I like mine plain, a lot of people like the flavored ones ((yuckkky imo))
  • robotsex
    robotsex Posts: 1
    Options
    Coconut water is great for you. It's even more hydrating than water, but it will get the bowels moving if you have too much. As for people saying it's gross. I thought the same thing when I tried drinking it from a can. Then I went and bought and actual coconut and had it fresh and changed my life. Get a young one (white with a pointed top) that looks good, cut off the top, then decide if you like the flavor. I am obsessed with everything coconut and I have no idea how people choke down that Vita coco crap, it's awful! Also they add sugar to it. You should never decide if you like something or not based on having a crappy processed version they dump extra sugar into.
  • ciarotheray
    ciarotheray Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you're not won over by the taste, I find mixing in a little pineapple juice is yummy.

Okobay does an ice-lolly of coconut water and pineapple juice that some organic markets sell, its also awesome!
    http://www.okobay.com/product/coconut-water-ice-pineapple/

on the health front, it does feel very refreshing and hydrating. never made me sick :/
  • cm985
    Options
    It's good, but not all of them taste the same.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it (as long as it's chilled).

Some days I get a good 25% of my calorie intake from it - it's heavy, filling water! I can do a full day of dance classes just drinking that and not feel tired or hungry at all. Miracle stuff.

I worry a little about the added sugar, although it claims there isn't a lot, but I drink a full litre of the stuff most days, sometimes more.

It also helps me reduce my diet coke intake
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you like it drink it. If you don't don't Personally I think it tastes like someone has soaked old socks in water for years and then want to call it refreshing. I'll stick with other things that taste good I'm sure they'll be another faddy miracle drink soon maybe sea water ;-)
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of its taste. I wish I was.
  • radimage
    Options
    Mixed in smoothies, it's great! It's supposed to be 'the perfect hydrater.'

Whatever THAT means...LOL!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Use it in cooking. It's what Korma Curries, are based on. Can't see how anyone could enjoy drinking it, unless it was fresh.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Love Vita Coca coconut water. Doesn't affect my bathroom visits....?!
  • sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It tastes horrible but it can cure heartburn and other digestive issues. I choke a cup down about once every other year to stop a gastritis flare up.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love coconut water. I usually drink it after hot yoga and it's amazing.
  • tomrick
    Options
    Its taste isn't great if drunk straight -- but it's not a strong enough taste to be unduly unpleasant. But, it's my go-to liquid for my fruit smoothies -- frozen berries + coconut water + a scoop of Secure + 2 tablespoons of flaxseed. Makes a tasty drink and the coconut water is not only less caloric than fruit juice but also provides electrolytes -- whatever they are ; o )

Requires a decent blender (thanks to the flaxseed). But, if you don't mind a smoothie that is a tad less than smooth, it's good. Berry smooth you might say if you're into terrible and not-so-clever puns. (For me, the worse the pun, the more the fun.)
  • TheFrugalFatass
    TheFrugalFatass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it was absolutely gross! Tastes like mold and copper pennies to me. :P
  • heyitskaydee
    heyitskaydee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    http://foodbabe.com/2014/07/15/how-to-buy-the-healthiest-coconut-water-and-avoid-the-worst/

I LOVE COCONUT WATER
    especially after long runs, I crave it!

Read the above for info on picking the best!
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have vita coconut water sometimes, I like it and find it gives me an energy boost of sorts, I just feel better after drinking it. I do not have it that often but I have liked it when tried it. Never gave me an problems. In India I had fresh coconut water right out of green coconut with a straw stuck in it. They were so cheep out there and had several a day again with no problem. Think i got a taste for it out there as was cool and refreshing in the heat.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Coconut Water Changes Its Claims
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/dining/coconut-water-changes-its-claims.html

"When coconut water broke into the American market 10 years ago, it was billed as a miracle drink able to fight viruses, kidney disease and other ailments like osteoporosis. Global sales now reach $400 million a year, and many consumers believe that the beverage has a wide variety of health benefits. But they may be unaware that the drink’s marketers have sharply scaled back their claims.

Young and Green

Not to be confused with coconut milk (the milky-white liquid made from coconut meat), coconut water is the clear fluid from young, still-green coconuts, packaged in angular Tetra Paks, as well as in bottles and faux coconut shells.

An Acquired Taste

The flavor is an unusual mix of salty and sweet. The typical coconut water has 30 to 70 milligrams of sodium and 9 to 12 grams of sugar per 11.2-ounce container — saltier but much less sweet than most fruit juices. The same amount of apple juice has 10 milligrams of sodium and three times as much sugar: 33 grams.

Essential Elements

The minerals in coconut water are what prompted the early claims of curative power, but their amounts are quite modest and they are widely found in other foods. A banana, for example, has 422 milligrams of potassium, compared with 660 milligrams in a typical container of coconut water. The water’s big three minerals are potassium (19 percent of the daily recommended intake), calcium (4 percent) and magnesium (4 percent).

A Sports Loss

Vita Coco, a leading brand, once boasted that it had 15 times the electrolytes — substances like sodium and potassium that are lost in sweat — in sports drinks. Then a 2011 class-action lawsuit contended that some of the mineral sums on its packages were exaggerated; as part of a settlement, Vita Coco agreed to stop saying that it rehydrated better than sports drinks. “We don’t try to compare ourselves to much of anything anymore,” said Arthur Gallego, the company’s publicist.

One Last Comparison

These days, coconut water’s big rival may be plain old water. How do they compare? Scientists are still wrestling with the question, and while their findings vary, water is starting to look just fine for most people. A 2012 study (funded by Vita Coco) in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition found that neither coconut water nor sports drinks were better than water in hydrating young men after hourlong workouts.

So What’s the Appeal?

Coconut water taps into a “deep consumer vein,” Tom Pirko, a beverage industry analyst, wrote in an email. “It is not seen as a ‘manufactured’ concoction, but rather the issue of Mother Earth.” And it seems poised to become just the first in a wave of natural waters; already for sale are bottled waters from maple and birch trees, barley, cactus and artichokes, with their own exuberant promotions.

More Than a Drink

Meanwhile, coconut water flows on. Best-selling cookbooks are using it as an additive in soups and smoothies. And it’s not just for drinking: Dial has released a soap and a body wash that use coconut water as a hydrating agent — and as a powerful image on the package."
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I pour about 2 oz in my 20 oz water bottle, and fill up with water, and a squeeze of lemon. When it's diluted, you can't taste the yuckerz...