What is so wrong with guesstimating?

Options

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options

For me, weighing is a tool that makes the whole weight loss journey easier, not harder. It takes the guessing out of the equation. I literally don't have to think about it any more after cooking.

^^Ditto this. After maintaining a 5lb range for years, and estimating a lot, I had difficulty maintaining last winter and didn't understand it. Bought a $14 scale, and wow. So much easier. Never realized how much effort all that estimating was.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

For me, weighing is a tool that makes the whole weight loss journey easier, not harder. It takes the guessing out of the equation. I literally don't have to think about it any more after cooking.

^^Ditto this. After maintaining a 5lb range for years, and estimating a lot, I had difficulty maintaining last winter and didn't understand it. Bought a $14 scale, and wow. So much easier. Never realized how much effort all that estimating was.

Really? You find weighing easier? I guess I have to give it a try :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    As long as you are happy with your progress. Stick with it. I never bothered to buy a food scale but that is because I am cheap.

29509743.png
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with it if it's working for you. It just doesn't seem to work for many people on here.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. There isn't anything wrong with it and don't believe anyone that tells you that. It's all about finding that right balance for you and what is ultimately sustainable. I know I won't weigh everything I eat for the rest of my life, so I'm not going to practice that now...I'm going to get into a habit that will work for me. For some people, weighing everything is what they feel they have to do and certainly their dairy is more accurate but that doesn't mean it's what you have to do if you are successful your way.

I measure somethings, weigh somethings and just estimate others. I still loose weight just fine. I always estimate stuff like broccoli...I mean 25 calories a cup? Ok so if I have a 1.5 cups it's 37 calories? big deal. Not worth my time to worry about (plus extra veg is always good!). I count stuff like grapes and just log a medium banana if that's what it is. I do weigh things like meet, cheese and pasta whenever I can. That said, a food scale is one of the most important things to have in your kitchen in my book but it's up to you how much you find you need to utlize it.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If I am estimating some amounts and still losing am I still doing it "wrong"? I never tried counting calories in the past, it seemed too complicated. I started using this app to get an idea of how many calories I was eating daily. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it is.

I do measure some things, but shared meals, I guess. I think when I have less to lose I may need to be more accurate.

I am getting a little overwhelmed and actually that isn't something I want to do for the rest of my life, but I will if it helps me learn portion sizes.

I think people take different approaches to this. I prefer to take the "least amount of effort possible" approach and then tweak as needed. So yes, I estimate. I didn't want my weight loss to interfere with my lifestyle. I didn't want to pass up invitations to eat out, or to go to BBQs. I didn't want to have to prepare my meals separately or agonize over weighing every piece of meat before cooking. So I estimate more times than not. When it is convenient for me I will measure out of curiosity, but I don't weigh and measure as a rule, I use it more as a reality check. If this is to be a life long change then it has to fit in my lifestyle in the least intrusive way possible. Otherwise it will end up just being a fad for me that I will completely abandon when I lose interest and take on a new hobby to obsess over.

So, I think if you are losing and are happy with the rate of loss, then keep doing what you are doing. As you get closer to your goal, your weight loss will slow down. If you start to feel stuck, then do a portion control recheck, by weighing and measuring for a spell. If I have a party to go to (I find parties the toughest to estimate, because I can usually find a reasonable equivalent for restaurant food, but home cooked meals at someone else's home is tough) I give myself more cushion room by eating less the days surrounding it. I assume that I will probably eat and drink a days worth of calories at the party and let it happen without guilt. Usually my weekly average still falls in my target range, and if it doesn't I don't fret if I see a gain or no change (i'm on maintenance now so no change is my goal), because I know the reason.

The big difference for me now isn't that I completely changed my eating habits, but that I am more mindful about it. Which meals are worth the extra calories and which aren't? Convenience meals that I turn to because I don't want to put in the effort are usually not worth the calories, but a nice night out with friends and family almost always is. I have made similar changes with my finances in the past couple of years and I have been much happier as a result. I have no problem spending money and calories on things that are important to me--but learning to pay attention so that I am better able to identify what is worth the calories or money was the key.
  • stephiejean37
    stephiejean37 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I estimate and have lost 50 pounds so far, but I also overestimate. And try not to hit my calorie allotment ever, and I actually don't eat back all of my exercise calories, only half usually. So far it has worked for me.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I agree, keep doing what you're doing until it doesn't work anymore. If at some point your weight loss slows down or stalls, and it will, go back to strict weighing and measuring to check yourself. Last night I eyeballed myself a "4 oz" glass of cabernet. Then I raised my skeptical eyebrow and pulled out the measuring cup...6 oz. Never hurts to double check.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i love weighing and measuring my food. its so easy for me. estimating actually seems like more work to me. if i weigh it i don't have to think about it, the scale does.

and another word about estimating, i use to estimate my oatmeal using a measuring cup. on a whim i thought, meh, ill weigh it. a serving is suppose to be 40g of dried oatmeal. My measuring cup scoop was 70g. almost double! a difference of 110 calories. If you don't think that will make a difference on your weight gain/loss you're in for a surprise.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Some people look at an 8 ounce steak and think it weighs 3 ounces. lol and there is a big difference in calories. but if you're good at it, and you're losing weight then meh.
  • enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with guesstimating is it doesn't give you an accurate picture of your calorie and macro intake.

That being said, if you're losing, and guesstimating is working for you at the moment- more power to you!

I would say if/when you hit a plateau, get out the measuring cups and food scale. Knowing your intake is being logged 99% accurately may help you identify some places where you were over/under guesstimating and could be the key to a plateau breakthrough.

Good luck!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight and you're happy with your progress, keep doing whatever it is you're doing.

But be aware that as you get closer to your goal, the accuracy will matter more. If at some point you stop losing, or slow down more than you think is appropriate, take another look at what you're doing to look for areas you can improve.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If it's working, don't worry about it. When you plateau and/or get closer to goal, you may need to start measuring properly.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you I wouldn't change it. Try to measure what you can. I have always measured food as far as TBS, cups, etc. to determine serving sizes for things that come with multiple servings like oatmeal, dressing, etc. For meats I look to see how many ounces are in a package, like a tube of ground turkey has 16 ounces so if it looks like I had 1/4 of the package I log 4 ounces. It has worked great for me. If I eat at a restaurant I try to find the calories from the restaurant and if I can't find it I log something similar.

I have seen people on here say that you need to weigh all of your food... even when bread comes in a package at 100 calories a slice some people would say you need to weighta slice to confirm the weight matches what the package is claiming. To me, that's overkill and I wouldn't want to live that way. A few extra pounds would be worth not getting THAT obsessive about food, although my "estimating" method is working just fine.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    This is just about what I've been doing and so far so good. I totally agree that it does take a while at first to get used to the size of a real "portion", and also that keeping a deficit buffer is a good idea just in case a guesstimate is significantly off. That's what I use my exercise calories for: I enter them as exercise so I get to log the workout and then delete them as a miscellaneous-calorie snack so the two cancel each other out, but if I go a few over at the end of the day I know I'm really covered. I've been losing about a pound a week, right on track. It can be done; just be honest and realistic (and check yourself occasionally).
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For the easy/hard aspect... Its easy for me. Food scale is on the kitchen counter. I put a plate/bowl/whatever on it, hit the on/off button. Scale comes up to 0 weight. I put food in/on and see the weight. Tare if I'm adding a different food. I do the same thing at work when putting food together for lunch. I did buy a 2nd scale to keep in the office.

I still go with the if it works/keep doing it mantra. But if you have a food scale, use it from time to time. Just to get used to it, learn portions, etc. as has been mentioned.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i love weighing and measuring my food. its so easy for me. estimating actually seems like more work to me. if i weigh it i don't have to think about it, the scale does.

and another word about estimating, i use to estimate my oatmeal using a measuring cup. on a whim i thought, meh, ill weigh it. a serving is suppose to be 40g of dried oatmeal. My measuring cup scoop was 70g. almost double! a difference of 110 calories. If you don't think that will make a difference on your weight gain/loss you're in for a surprise.

I hear what you are saying about not having to think too much. I enjoy weighing when it is convenient, and since my scale is on the counter where I prepare my food a lot of times it doesn't take much effort. But it is easy to get obsessive with it, to the point where you pass up things you normally wouldn't because you can't weigh it (like eating food someone else prepared). Or if you forgot to measure something pre-cooked and now you need to serve yourself and you know the weight of the food cooked is much much different than raw (like meat or pasta)--this is especially true when you are cooking for a family with the hopes of some leftovers, so servings ends up being fuzzy at best. This could lead to burn out and giving up all together.

I think weighing and measuring doesn't have to be tedious and time consuming, but it is easy to become obsessive. That is why I think it is better to use it as a recheck, as a way to get a handle on your portions and a tool to help you become better at estimating rather than as a rule that must be followed with the precision of a scientist is more effective for most people for long term.

However, if you are estimating and not getting the results you expect or want then that means you need to weigh and measure to get back on track. I think that being good at estimating requires an occasional reality check.

I also noticed that the opposite of your oatmeal example is sometimes the case. I have been eating my 1 cup of yogurt according to the label (using my measuring cups), but when I actually weighed it I found that 227 grams was much more than my typical 1 cup measurement. So it works both ways. It is good to have this information.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My mum used to bake a lot, so she could literally put knife to butter get so many ounces, water in pan almost pin point perfect, so for her was a very accurate guess, now me, no chance, my judgement skills on sizes are terrible.

So as the saying goes, if it works, don't fix it, when it breaks, back to the old drawing board. :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If I am estimating some amounts and still losing am I still doing it "wrong"? I never tried counting calories in the past, it seemed too complicated. I started using this app to get an idea of how many calories I was eating daily. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it is.

I do measure some things, but shared meals, I guess. I think when I have less to lose I may need to be more accurate.

I am getting a little overwhelmed and actually that isn't something I want to do for the rest of my life, but I will if it helps me learn portion sizes.

Two things spring to mind:
    -if you're losing weight then you're probably estimating fine.
    -I wouldn't look at your past efforts as some kind of positive experience - otherwise you wouldn't be here, would you? :)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Two things spring to mind:
    -if you're losing weight then you're probably estimating fine.
    -I wouldn't look at your past efforts as some kind of positive experience - otherwise you wouldn't be here, would you? :)

No, they weren't positive. I think it was because i had no plan, was too restrictive, and didn't know how to correct for problems. And, I don't think I am as good as some people at judging amounts, I just have a buffer. When my weight goes down I will have to be more careful. I meant my recent experience using this app this month has been positive. From the responses I am getting it seems like I need to get a scale. I already know I can't judge a tablespoon of peanutbutter and that adds up.

So, I want a digital that tares and weighs grams. Is there anything else i need to know? My husband will want to buy the cheapest one.,

Thanks for all the input. I read the sticky on weighing and I will re-read but if there is anything anyone can add that would be great