Cabbage Soup Diet..

Options
13»

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the cabbage soup diet that can comment on success rates??

Can you define success?
  • amyadell
    amyadell Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I followed it and had great results! Day two sucked... But then you get the potato and all is well again! ;D Fruit days are satisfying because of the natural sugar... Bananas are fun, and I made a DELICIOUS banana shake with a spoon of unsweetened cocoa in it... Then you start eating meats again and feel like a normal person... I didnt actually weigh myself but holy cow! I was SUPER impressed with the results!!!! Pants I could barely squeeze into, slipped up and zippered with ease... WITHOUT a muffin top!!! :D
  • amyadell
    amyadell Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try this version... I am eating it right now and LOVING IT!!! (Yes... It actually tastes good, unlike many other of the recipes!!!)I made a curry version, but easier to follow than the one listed here. I put my 5cups of low sodium chicken broth to boil, then added the cabbage right away (I find the cabbage is always under cooked otherwise). I then added 5 quartered small yellow onions, and four carrots shredded. Next, throw in a 15oz can of diced tomato and a cup of tomato sauce, about 6 tablespoons of wet minced garlic (no, it isnt overly garlic tasting in the big pot of soup). Lastly, I stirred in 2tablespoons of curry powder and placed 2 cinnamon sticks... Simmer away until you are happy with the veggies. I let it go almost an hour... The smell in the house is AMAZING!!!!!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised this diet is still around. I can remember this one back to the 70s.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Everyone's looking for an easy "fix." There isn't one. For some reason, the one piece of advice people seem most loathe to hear over, and over, is "Eat in a caloric deficit, and exercise more." I know it may seem that eating less and exercising more is a long path to a goal, but it's the only one you need.

Eating fad diets is a great way to establish disordered eating, negative relationships with food, and a cyclical loss/gain that will mess with your body, your mind, and your perceptions. Why not just cut out the fads, the cycle, and the hype, and do what is scientifically proven to be effective for the long-term?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A brothy veggie soup is a great start to a meal but you won't get the nutrients you need with such a limited diet. In weeks that I make a big pot of soup and eat it for lunch I do tend to lose weight. It keeps me full and if you make your own you control the sodium.

This!^

It's a side dish..............tha contains almost no protein and no fat.............it just gives you lots of fiber & sodium (depending on your recipe). You can get lots of fiber from other foods too....personally I like a salad (with dressing) & soup with protein for lunch.

No magic here..........you just reduce your calories overall by following this "limited" foods approach.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I tried the cabbage soup diet a few years, manage to stick it out for 7 days. I lost 10lbs, BUT as soon as I went back to eating "normal" food, I gained 15lbs back. I was miserable, gassy as hell, *****y to my husband, and just always in a bad mood because I was hungry for something else.
    I also did the lemon/cayenne pepper drink diet thing, I tried that, lost 15lbs and then started eating again, and gained quickly and got stretch marks from the fat gain. Then I quickly learned, there is NO quick way to do this, eat a little less, move alittle more, and succeed.
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did this for 5 days and lost 6 lbs :)

Went back to eating 1200 cals a day and kept it off x
    [ETA: ^ this reply scares me]

As far as the cabbage soup diet, I enjoy it with a side of green beans, a good slice of roast beef or two, and a roll. Mmm That's a good dinner. Oh, yeah, add a sweet potato and a salad, too.

As an alternative you can use your raw cabbage as a lettuce replacement in your sammich; it's a different texture but fun to try. My grandfather grows cabbage and uses it this way.

As far as gas, I'm a little boy at heart so it's bonus but I don't usually get gas from cabbage... then again I've never had the notion to eat only cabbage as a diet.
  • 12adrianna
    12adrianna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on day 4...and it sucks...just the tought of eating cabbage soup, bananas, and drinking skim milk today is discouraging me. I spiced the soup up a little by adding curry powder. If I don't lose a few pounds I will never subject myself to this torture again.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you want a boring eating plan and tons of gas - go for it.

Ha! :)
  • FemWeight
    Options
    Has anyone tried the cabbage soup diet that can comment on success rates??

I tried to to transition from all the junk food to eating a more clean calorie deficit diet and only did it for a week no more. It worked as a good cleanse however unless you really like cabbage I wouldn't even do it lol Sure I lost some weight but when I was able to eat again it seemed to come back and I felt pretty crabby while on it as well as my husband banning me from ever doing it again lol
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised this diet is still around. I can remember this one back to the 70s.

It made a comeback in the 90's. I remember my cousin doing it. I couldn't be in a car with her because she farted so much. She lost 8 pounds and gained it all back when she started eating regular food again.
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Tried it ....lost 5 lbs in one week.......havent touched cabbage since......2 years ago
  • FemWeight
    Options
    does the soup have meat and potatoes in it? is the cabbage a garnish? so many questions left unanswered...

NO meat and not potatoes only vegetables no starchy vegetables at that . Well at least the most common cabbage diet there is.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My mom tried it for a while, made me gag everytime I had to smell the soup (cabbage is blechy!!). She couldn't stick with it for the whole time, partly because she got tired of eating the soup and partly because I kept telling her it was NOT healthy to put your body through it.

For me, I prefer eating foods I actually like in proportions that are much smaller than I have in the past and making my body move more. And for long term weight loss and to keep it off I know that will work much better than cabbage.:wink:

"cabbage is blechy". On behalf of all the Polish people in this world, I raspberry you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Seems like a good way to reach your long term goals

^ This.

We'll be here waiting when you come back after you've started eating real food again and regained all the weight.

Edit: Just maintain a calorie deficit. I swear it works.

This^

There's no magic in the Dolly Parton diet, Cabbage Soup diet, 7 Day Cleanse......whatever they are calling it now days.

This diet has been around for DECADES......if it were magic.....wouldn't we all be thin already?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I am on day 4... and it sucks... just the tought of eating cabbage soup, bananas, and drinking skim milk today is discouraging me. I spiced the soup up a little by adding curry powder. If I don't lose a few pounds I will never subject myself to this torture again.
    So why are you doing it now?
    Why aren't you making lasting changes in how you eat?
    Don't diet, don't make a temporary change, because when you go back to eating normal foods you'll regain the weight you've temporarily lost.
    Eat less of foods you like, move more to burn more calories. Keep it up for a lifetime.
    It really is that simple.
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Everyone used to do the cabbage soup diet in the 70's. Its more or less just a standard liquid diet no different my mother used to swear by it. Im guessing the big weight loss is lack of solid food matter in the bowels and flushing the system of stored water? My mother never really lost weight on it. Soon as she went back to eating after 5 days of the cabbage soup everything went right back. (Not to mention boy did it make her stinky lol)
  • highcarbveganzombie
    Options
    No. If you want to eat some soup before your meal to eat less overall I think that's fine, but no to just the soup. Eat at a calorie deficit and you'll be just fine. :)
  • Chrizzle21
    Chrizzle21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love soup and cabbage. I think it is very easy to be mesmerized by the idea of a quick loss and I have fallen for this as well (hello, atkins induction); however I cannot seem to wrap my head around the idea that limiting your diet so much is going to make a lasting, positive, impact on your health and weight loss journey.