University Gym Has No Barbell

Options
I got back to university for the year and discovered that the only barbell in our gym area is completely filled with giant meatheads. I really don't feel comfortable there and instead go to a different area within the gym that is far more female friendly. I really don't feel comfortable anywhere near the other room and the one I use has no barbell.

So my question is how can I do weighted squats without one? I was doing 50lbs before coming back to school and I'm 130 lbs. Are one legged squats a valid option?

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Barbell squats are a great exercise but they aren't the only good exercise for hitting your legs. Goblet squats, weighted lunges, leg press machines and the like all lead to gains and they don't require a barbell. Work with what you've got and if you later decide you really want to do barbell training, find a gym with a barbell or buy your own.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Just get in there with the guys - they're probably nice helpful guys.

If not, goblet squats, split squats etc.
  • b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a
    Options
    Go deal with the meatheads, it'll be worth being able to use a barbell.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Another vote for going to the boy's side of the gym. You can do substitutions but the barbell is invaluable, in my opinion.
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do other leg exercises so that's not an issue, I just really enjoyed doing squats.

I have gone over before and unless it's almost empty it's not an option. I feel way too uncomfortable and from my experiences over there, they're not really "nice helpful guys."

Thanks for the goblet and split squat suggestions!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Giant meat head here... go put your big girl panties on and learn to lift. Those people are significantly nicer than almost ALL the people in aerobics classes- and also the cardio equipment.

There are great substitutes- but they will never take you as far as working with a barbell.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and go anyway.

Don't let "meatheads" from stopping you from using the equipment your tuition and fees are paying for.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just move a barbell to use it and put it back when you're done?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Agreed..just go in there and do your thing. They're too busy worrying about themselves to care about you. Get your work on!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just move a barbell to use it and put it back when you're done?

Depending what she wants to do with the bar, no she can't - not safely anyway.
    Or it could potentially be against the university rules to do as such
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ... that the only barbell in our gym area is completely filled with giant meatheads.

The barbell is filled with meat heads?

#1. Sweet bigotry.
    #2. How is the barbell filled with meat, or anything else?
  • Terri6627
    Options
    I do lift, the other gym has everything except a barbell. I know I'm being a wimp about it.

And nope, the two areas are actually in different buildings that are connected by a tunnel. It's not like I'm refusing to go to one area of a room. I just prefer to work out in the female friendly area and would rather do all my exercises there than walk for three minutes to go do a set of squats in an area where I feel super uncomfortable.
  • Terri6627
    Options
    ... that the only barbell in our gym area is completely filled with giant meatheads.

The barbell is filled with meat heads?

#1. Sweet bigotry.
    #2. How is the barbell filled with meat, or anything else?

Haha oops. The only area with barbells in our athletic facility is filled with people who could break me in half and the only females I've ever seen in there are varsity athletes. Better?
  • Terri6627
    Options
    I enjoy how everyone is assuming all I do is cardio and Zumba. Nuh uh. When I'm at the gym (every other day), it's a cardio warm up and the rest is all strength exercises. The other days are when I do cardio.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    A lot better. Meat head is pretty derogatory.

Honestly, I'm not in the best shape, and there's a lot of dudes at my gym who have finely sculpted bodies. (Many are fitness competitors.) I'm not going to let that stop me from getting my burn on. Know what the result was? I'm making friends with them.

People are gregarious creatures... guys are pretty damned up front too, I think you might be projecting a little, eh? If you aren't comfortable, you aren't comfortable. However, the only time you grow in a lot of situations is by going outside of your comfort zone.

Food for thought. I'd go squat, and if anyone has anything to say, ask them to spot get a partner and spot the bar.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I just prefer to work out in the female friendly area and would rather do all my exercises there than walk for three minutes to go do a set of squats in an area where I feel super uncomfortable.

There is no such thing as a female friendly area outside of bathroom requirements at a gym.

It's just a room with equipment in it.

Secondly- ONLY doing squats a the squat rack the barbell is just silly- I can do 3/4 of my workout there - or even all of it depending on the plan- way more work can be done there than whatever other section of your gym you have.

Just go do the thing- staying away from it is only going to make you feel foolish when make it over there and realize it was all in your head.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a meathead section. Meathead is such an ugly term.

I hear they sell the big girl panties at Sports Authority. Get a pair and go pick up a barbell.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Coming from a fellow college girl who was scared out of her mind to enter into the "forbidden guy zone", I feel where you are coming from. It's true that it is intimidating, but eventually you are just going to have to suck it up and go. Yeah it may be awkward the first few times you go in and yeah a few of them might stare, but you honestly just have to get over it.

I know it's scary, but most things worth doing in life are. So get in there and do it!
  • Terri6627
    Options
    Just go do the thing- staying away from it is only going to make you feel foolish when make it over there and realize it was all in your head.

I have been over there and I have worked out there before, as I've already said. I felt very uncomfortable, as did my workout partner (who is male fyi) so we decided to go to the other area. That's it. As a result I wanted exercises I can do instead of barbell squats.

I'm aware that I shouldn't care and I should be able to use that gym. However I'm uncomfortable and I am working on that. So everyone telling me to just go over there, I know. I'm working on that. All I wanted was an exercise to replace the one I lost from my previous workout routine. I now have that. So thank you but this is getting off topic.

I'm also aware I should not have said meat head, will not happen again. I'm just used to women only gyms so being stared at by people while working out made me highly uncomfortable and not likely to think well of the people who did it.