The office debate

Options
Muddy_Yogi
Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
Ok it is really just me and my co-worker and I think I know the answer but since he is debating with me...I wanted to ask the forums and he promised to go with the result we are given. LOL

He says that if you survive mainly on a diet of soda.....2000 calories a day (Lets say this is below your maintenance just for this debate) You will lose weight because it is a liquid.

I said if you ate 2000 calories of Peanut butter every day and nothing else you will lose as long as it is under your maintenance calories as well.

He disagreed. Is there a difference between 2000 calories of PB and 2000 calories of Mountain Dew (only in regards to weight loss not health benefit...)

Replies

• Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This debate does ignore the joy factor, as in I'd love 2000 calories of PB right now but the thought of drinking 2000 calories worth of Mt. Dew or any soft drink in THAT amount......just...I mean...I think I'm gonna throw up....
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out. You are correct, your coworker is incorrect. If you are in a calorie deficit, your body will lose mass. And as such, you will lose weight.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    My diet soda has 0 calories.

It doesn't matter if you are getting your calories from a liquid or not. Calories are calories.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I also drink diet soda, but I can tell the question is regarding regular soda.

Basically, the question is: If one consumes at a deficit, can one gain weight with some types of food/drink and lose weight with other types of food/drink?

Answer: I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that a deficit is a deficit regardless of where it comes from... thus if 2,000 calories is a deficit, then that person will lose weight drinking soda, or will lose weight eating PB... doesn't matter, s/he will lose weight.

*As instructed, I'm ignoring the macronutrient and micronutrient issue and don't actually expect anyone to eat like this.

Edited to be more clear.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Mountain Dew and peanut butter diet. I haven't lost any weight, but I poop a lot.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Mt Dew has caffeine and gives you diarrhea = greater weight loss in the short term
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You would probably lose more with the peanut butter as your body requires more energy (will burn more calories) digesting that then it would a liquid that is already in a very simple format (sugar).

So in this case if 2000 cals put you in a deficit of say 250 cals/day with the pop (meaning your maintenance would be 2250), then the peanut butter would put you in a deficit of closer to 300 cals/day as the increase energy from digestion may increase maintenance to 2300.

So if you ate about 2050 of peanut butter you would lose the same as 2000 of pop, as both would give you a deficit of 250 cals below maintenance. It is the deficit that matters, not necessarily a fixed input, and macros and format of food, will affect the total cals burned for the day.

I would go further and say because it is liquid it takes less energy to break it down and be absorbed much easier and faster than a solid or semi solid.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    diet soda has zero calories so how would he be getting 2000 calories exactly?

Calories are calories no matter the source
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    In for the peanut butter diet.
    Options

diet OF soda, not diet soda.
    I had to read that again too.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The person only drinking the Mountain Dew will die from malnutrition. The person only eating peanut butter will die from dehydration.

Lose / lose. :tongue:
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Mountain Dew and peanut butter diet. I haven't lost any weight, but I poop a lot.

Sign me up. Is it a beachbody thing ?
    Options

Sign me up. Is it a beachbody thing ?
    Uh oh. You uttered the magic words. Expect your in-box to be flooded shortly :laugh:
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

edit: Binky beat me to it.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    This debate does ignore the joy factor, as in I'd love 2000 calories of PB right now but the thought of drinking 2000 calories worth of Mt. Dew or any soft drink in THAT amount......just...I mean...I think I'm gonna throw up....

This!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    The bacon and bourbon diet worked for me
    Mt. Dew and peanut butter must be for minors.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Options
    The person only drinking the Mountain Dew will die from malnutrition. The person only eating peanut butter will die from dehydration.

Lose / lose. :tongue:

LOL well yes, and no one said they couldn't have water. So possibly the pb person is the winner for at least a little while!
    Options
    You would probably lose more with the peanut butter as your body requires more energy (will burn more calories) digesting that then it would a liquid that is already in a very simple format (sugar).

So in this case if 2000 cals put you in a deficit of say 250 cals/day with the pop (meaning your maintenance would be 2250), then the peanut butter would put you in a deficit of closer to 300 cals/day as the increase energy from digestion may increase maintenance to 2300.

So if you ate about 2050 of peanut butter you would lose the same as 2000 of pop, as both would give you a deficit of 250 cals below maintenance. It is the deficit that matters, not necessarily a fixed input, and macros and format of food, will affect the total cals burned for the day.

I would go further and say because it is liquid it takes less energy to break it down and be absorbed much easier and faster than a solid or semi solid.
    IF this is the case (and from what I've read on here, it's not), wouldn't the difference be negligible? So minute in fact to not even make a difference? 50 cals seems like a lot for your body to expend on digesting the difference between soda and PB. Genuinely curious.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Options

IF this is the case (and from what I've read on here, it's not), wouldn't the difference be negligible? So minute in fact to not even make a difference? 50 cals seems like a lot for your body to expend on digesting the difference between soda and PB. Genuinely curious.

I agree...I'm curious as well!