Question...what would you do?

2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Aw.

Just seems a touch entitled to me, she can fix that though, if she wants.

I'm not sure why you're saying the original poster is 'entitled' if she said the dogs tried to bite her dog. And I'm being serious - do you think she's overreacting?

absolutely. Add in some projection, and an inability to respect her neighbor enough to communicate with them, and you have a perfect storm of awesome.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    If I read that right the neighbor's dogs ran across the street to rush at OP and her dog. That is a safety issue for them. Instead of saying the OP is entitled, why not focus on the poor training of the other dogs? I hope something is able to be worked out so that no one or animal is hurt.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Not all dogs run after and up to people...

You're right, some wheel up in their little carts to greet people.

Simply put, it's a normal dog behavior the OP is freaked out about. Sweet.
  • Not all dogs run after and up to people...

It's not normal. That's the point.
    Let's just agree to disagree on this one mmmkay?
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    @dbmata I'm sorry but these dogs that were rushing me were not friendly..
    Anyone who knows dogs know that they run after things. They run up to things. They can be jubilant and boisterous.
    Not all dogs run after and up to people, nor should they, if they are properly trained. Dogs are not people. If a dog approaches me jubilantly, short of the owner yelling "don't worry, she's friendly", I'm not taking the time to observe the dog's signals to interpret if the dog just wants to play. The dog should be under the control of the owner at all times.

I agree, the owner should be in control. Yes dogs love to run up to people/dogs, but they should still have some manners. If a dog comes sprinting up and practically collides with my dog, she's going to get her back up - and rightly so. It's rude. And for an owner not to recognize this is an issue.

The dogs ran out once, and she called them back - this is totally forgivable as it may have been unexpected. For her to allow it to happen a second time is not. She should be watching her dogs and correcting their behaviour. If she can't control them off leash, they should be put on a leash.

I agree with the others that you should talk to her without the dog. If she doesn't work to resolve the issue, call bylaw and report her. At least that way if something happens in the future there will be a record of your complaints.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

It's not normal. That's the point.
    Let's just agree to disagree on this one mmmkay?

it's 100% normal for dogs to run around.

TRAINING makes it NOT normal. TRAINING should be done- but TRAINING is to manage an animal in an unnatural state.

It's 100% normal for a dog to run up/around new and different people.
    If a neighbor asked me that, I'd make it a point to be out and the dogs out from 3:30 to 4, because none of my neighbors have the right to impact my life like that.
    Yuuuuppppppp
    I'd probably invite all my dog friends over and have a dog play party.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member

[/quote]

So what you're saying is that you should just not be afraid when a dog comes running up to you because every dog that does that is sweet and cute and just wants to "greet" you or "play"? There's never anything aggressive about that sort of behavior?
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Let's not forget that the OP is entitled to go for a walk without being nearly assaulted by vicious dogs time and time again. From how I read it, it's not like the dogs are just barking and being obnoxious from a distance - I think we all know that this is unavoidable, normal and acceptable dog behavior (albeit irritating). They're barking, snarling, and rushing the OP and her dog with behavior that indicates that she and her dog are at risk; I'm not sure what part of America this is okay in. I'd really like to know what I am missing that faults the OP.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    So, I want to thank you all again for the advice and criticism (sometimes it is good too, but I really was just trying to find a solution to exercise safely and not piss anyone off, that's all). I have found a good solution. I am going to take a different route. I decided today that I would try and find a safer way to go and after a really long walk I found a route that completely avoids going past my neighbors house and only goes by a few fenced in animals who do not seem aggressive or like they could jump a fence. It's a longer route but it feels safe and its better for me to walk further anyways. This way I don't have to have an awkward conversation with my neighbor and I am getting more exercise. I am however going to look into getting some mace as there are many pit bulls and loose dogs in our small rural community. Initially, I didn't want to change my route due to this problem, but I think the one I have chosen is relatively stray free. Thanks again.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I am however going to look into getting some mace as there are many pit bulls and loose dogs in our small rural community. Initially, I didn't want to change my route due to this problem, but I think the one I have chosen is relatively stray free. Thanks again.

DO NOT GET MACE TO USE ON A STRAY/FERAL DOG. If a dog is ABOUT to attack you, you will not have 1. time 2. aim to hit them in the face. You WILL get some in your own lungs/eyes and be slightly impaired. Even if you hit the dog square in the face, you risk making him angry, confused, and more likely to flail at you/bite. Dogs who are maced DO NOT stop approaching/biting their target.

I come across loose dogs all the time. I also go to a dog park where some people bring aggressive and bully dogs. I've witnessed many dog on dog fights and dog-bite-human fights (fingers, nipped). You seem to think that all of the dogs are running around looking for a fight. Most rural dogs have seen people before. You're interesting because of your dog, but only if you let yourself be. Unless you're in imminent danger (dog bearing down on you/your dog, hackles up, whites of eyes showing, tail stiff, back low), just keep walking. Ignore the other dogs and keep your dog from staring them down.

Here's how to safely deal with stray dogs approaching you: http://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Safe-when-a-Dog-Approaches-You
    Here's how to handle a dog who is attacking you: http://www.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Dog-Attack
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    nothing to report. we don't have leash laws either. I keep my three on leash (ironically, I have a pit bull mix and two huskies) and just try to make the widest circle I can with them -_-

don't bother talking to them about it, everyone who lets their dog run loose unattended "has the FRIENDLIEST DOG EVER" and if YOU have a problem its DUH, YOUR mean dog causing it.

I found another hour/area to walk in (although my favorite is when I walk out my front door to find a dog IN MY YARD and im STILL in the wrong for telling it to go away....)
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    She has dogs rushing people as they go by, she leaves them unattended and unleashed, she tells a small child to "shut up", she doesn't apologize the second time around and let there be a second time, voiding the first apology and apparently is "off" enough for this poor girl trying to innocently walk her pet seek advice on a completely unrelated forum. It just sounds like the precursor for an episode of COPS.

....nevermind
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member

Poor dog socialization too. Most owners properly socialize their dogs, a few don't, and do things like hold them and prevent them from properly greeting other dogs.

Dogs that run straight at another dog are not "well socialized". A direct approach is very rude in dog language (an arced approach without direct eye contact is a polite dog approach). We don't all have labs. Also we're talking about one little dog being approached in a rude manner by three larger dogs. I don't think her concerns are an "entitled" point of view, rather she is concerned about the safety of her dog, like any good dog owner would be. It's not "entitlement" to expect to be able to walk down a public sidewalk without having off leash dogs running up on her. The neighbor may be within her rights to have her dogs off leash in her own yard, but not if they are not well trained enough to stay in their yard. The second they are cross the property line, that neighbor is a bad dog owner.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    There have been lots of comments. I will leave it at that. You are the one who is there and has deal with the situations, and the consequences. I recommend, before anything else, you go talk to your neighbor. Try to do it when things are chilled out and she isn't trying to watch her three dogs and child in the yard. Taking dog treats would be a nice gesture, I suggest that they be in a sealed, store bought box so that there is absolutely no question of your good intentions. See what you can do to work things out and see if you can socialize the dogs, preferably one dog at a time at first, and then build to multiple dogs at once. You can tell her when you usually want to walk your dog as a courtesy, though not as trying to change her behavior or limited her - that is disrespectful. Hey, disrespect usually ends up going both ways. :-) Frankly, at this point, she probably already knows when you walk your dog. A little respect and cooperation often goes a long way. Good luck. Hopefully, it never reaches the point where the police get involved.
    That is rarely a good thing.