What do you do with a sweet potato?

Options
1235»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A lighter Thanksgiving recipe (from Weight Watchers)

Peel & slice sweet potatoes (1/4" thick). 4 Layers....sweet potato slices.....apple slices. Top with salt, small dabs of butter, apple juice concentrate mixed with clove (or cinnamon) brown sugar, and a liberal sprinkle of candied ginger. Cover with foil and bake 1/2 hour, then uncover and bake an additional 1/2 hour. I like to use tangy apples, the ginger gives it a nice bite.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    First, thanks for all the bombdiggity ideas like these^!

Second, I haven't tried it yet, but I saw a breakfast version of a baked sweet tater topped with Greek yogurt, granola, nuts, and real maple syrup. It looked tasty.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    i eat an enormous sweet potato just about 4-5 times a week. i love them.

i have 2 signature preparations. please feel free to tweak at your discretion, but do NOT bastardize my wonderful recipes with things like soy cheese, cauliflower, or shiritaki noodles (though idk how those would come into play)

the first one is what i call the "sweet potaco"...
    i bake the sweet potato (wrapped in foil) in the oven until done. during that time, i prepare taco meat....ground beef, spices, cholula sauce, salsa...
    once the pertater is done, cut it in half and open it up, fork mash, top with a mound of the beef, sprinkle generously with a shredded mexican blend, and add sour cream, guac, jalepenos, and more cholula.

the second, i refer to as the "pulled porkato" (aka shredded porkato)
    there are 2 ways to do this one. one with leftover pulled pork from the crockpot or smoker, and the other with thin sliced pork tenderloin.
    bake the potato the same way, and during that time heat up the pork.
    cut the potato, split and mash it, then top the potato with a mountain of the meat, add shredded cheddar, caramelized onions, bbq sauce and go to town.

you are welcome.

MARRY ME.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes, I usually eat them mashed with a bit of cinnamon and butter, or roasted with herbs and spices but recently one of my favorite ways to make em is in the form of a casserole.

I take about two medium sweet potatoes and slice em up thinly and toss them in olive oil, fresh oregano, salt, pepper, minced garlic and chipotle powder until evenly coated. Then I place them in a round glass baking dish, cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or till fork tender.

Then I remove the foil and add a bit of heavy cream and put the dish back in the oven for about another 20 minutes.

So yum as a side with a big *kitten* steak!

Another thing I've tried recently is sweet potato and black bean taquitos.

In a large bowl take cooked sweet potato dice it up and toss it with corn, black beans, and cheddar cheese. In a separate small bowl mix together cream cheese, salsa, chile powder, cumin and salt/pepper . Pour over the sweet potato mixture and toss until well combined.

Preheat your oven to 375 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Working one at a time scoop up 1/3 cup of the mixture and place it on the lower third of a tortilla of your choice - spread it out in a log shape and roll up tightly - place seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the filling is used.

Brush the taquito lightly with olive oil using a pastry brush or your finger..whatever you have just make sure that ish is coated.

Bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden.

Serve with guacamole, salsa, or a fresh pico de gallo.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Very cool drepublic!!

I like to add a bit of mashed chipotle in adobo and a little butter substitute. No transfats...
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

So yum as a side with a big *kitten* steak!
    Is that cut from a rump roast?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Brush the taquito lightly with olive oil using a pastry brush or your finger..whatever you have just make sure that ish is coated.

i would pay upwards of $5.99/min to hear you whisper things like that to me over the phone....HNNNNNNG!
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options

i would pay upwards of $5.99/min to hear you whisper things like that to me over the phone....HNNNNNNG!

Back off Skully....she is MINE