Wheat belly

Options

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    you can read anything you want. but i think i am pretty sure when i see diarrhea.

One day I put my left shoe on before my right, and I got into a fender bender. I learned my lesson, I always put my right shoe on first now.

i'm shocked you were able to get on both shoes.

after literally years of her losing weight and not fitting-in with the pediatrician's recommendations for growth, we had to try something. after eliminating almost everything, we came to our conclusion. i'm not sure why that is difficult for people to understand, or why anyone would care if me or my child ever ate gluten again?
    Because if you found what works for you and your daughter, you should really investigate other possibilities. That's what I'm getting out of it, anyways. *shrug
    Options
    I knew the anti-grain hype had gone overboard when I saw "gluten free" deodorant tampons at the grocery store.
    Wait, what? LOL. Well I guess technically gluten could be absorbed through the.....OK never mind, I'm out.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I knew the anti-grain hype had gone overboard when I saw "gluten free" deodorant tampons at the grocery store.
    Wait, what? LOL. Well I guess technically gluten could be absorbed through the.....OK never mind, I'm out.

well, there ARE people who have celiac disease who CANNOT have ANY gluten in their system at all. not in lipstick (yes, it's there) not at all. the general public has gone overboard, i will admit, but for those who suffer from celiac, those products are very helpful and easier to find now.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I have no medical issues about gluten and/or wheat, so I keep eating it. If you want to try it out, go for it.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    LOL like wheat?
    I guess I'm not understanding the question. If my GI issues, which I've suffered from for a long time, have been solved by avoiding gluten, why would I over-complicate it? What's that saying....if you hear hoofbeats, it's more likely a horse than a zebra? I guess if I missed gluten-containing items, I might search out another possibility.

"Over-complicating" it could allow you to eat more foods without getting sick. Assuming you are allergic to something else rather than gluten, you could go back to eating breads and such if you wanted while avoiding your actual allergy.

As a simplistic example, say I'm allergic to cheese. Whenever I eat sandwiches with cheese, I get sick... but then I incorrectly blame gluten for my allergy. I stop eating sandwiches (and the accompanying cheese) I feel better and confirm my false assumption of a gluten allergy.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    I have no medical issues about gluten and/or wheat, so I keep eating it. If you want to try it out, go for it.

most people have no problems with gluten or wheat. my brother is a personal trainer and teaches pilates and he is super fit. he lost about 50 pounds and lost almost all body fat, he is super lean. he eats bread with no problem. he just maintains a certain level of calories per day. in fact, i don't think he could live without his Ezekiel bread!!! :smile:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    LOL like wheat?
    I guess I'm not understanding the question. If my GI issues, which I've suffered from for a long time, have been solved by avoiding gluten, why would I over-complicate it? What's that saying....if you hear hoofbeats, it's more likely a horse than a zebra? I guess if I missed gluten-containing items, I might search out another possibility.

"Over-complicating" it could allow you to eat more foods without getting sick. Assuming you are allergic to something else rather than gluten, you could go back to eating breads and such if you wanted while avoiding your actual allergy.

As a simplistic example, say I'm allergic to cheese. Whenever I eat sandwiches with cheese, I get sick... but then I incorrectly blame gluten for my allergy. I stop eating sandwiches (and the accompanying cheese) I feel better and confirm my false assumption of a gluten allergy.

well you are assuming that we don't know how to test for allergies or that we do not have professionals and dr's on board with figuring things out. of course i'm not an idiot. i'm not going to give my child a cheese sandwich and then if she throws up, never let her eat a cheese sandwich. it took over a year to figure everything out. trust me, i even had to notice minute details in bread ingredients to make sure the "gluten-free" bread didn't have dairy in it.
    Options

well, there ARE people who have celiac disease who CANNOT have ANY gluten in their system at all. not in lipstick (yes, it's there) not at all. the general public has gone overboard, i will admit, but for those who suffer from celiac, those products are very helpful and easier to find now.
    I'm just being cheeky :laugh:
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    the general public has gone overboard, i will admit, but for those who suffer from celiac, those products are very helpful and easier to find now.

The product I was referring to doesn't exist dear. It was just a joke.
  • leomcdee
    leomcdee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    LOL like wheat?

This is a terrible, terrible example. People don't give up eating one type of food when they have allergies, i.e. sandwiches. Gluten is in a LOT of stuff, and it's usually the only common ingredient. Unless someone is allergic/intolerant to lots of things, it's likely gluten is the culprit.

Also, there's gluten free alternatives, so if people previously ate cheese sandwiches, they could still do so with gf bread, thus confirming they are not intolerant to cheese.

Also, also: I'm speaking from experience of having a lot of allergies (but not gluten, strangely). Allergies are hellish and miserable. I can't eat nuts or apples. Hell, I can't even eat fruit salad and pick the apple out because the other food is contaminated. But hey, if I don't want my body to violently and painfully reject my breakfast, I'll give the fruit salad a miss.
    Options
    the general public has gone overboard, i will admit, but for those who suffer from celiac, those products are very helpful and easier to find now.

The product I was referring to doesn't exist dear. It was just a joke.
    ROFL....you bad!! :laugh:
    Options
    LOL like wheat?

This is a terrible, terrible example. People don't give up eating one type of food when they have allergies, i.e. sandwiches. Gluten is in a LOT of stuff, and it's usually the only common ingredient. Unless someone is allergic/intolerant to lots of things, it's likely gluten is the culprit.

Also, there's gluten free alternatives, so if people previously ate cheese sandwiches, they could still do so with gf bread, thus confirming they are not intolerant to cheese.

Also, also: I'm speaking from experience of having a lot of allergies (but not gluten, strangely). Allergies are hellish and miserable. I can't eat nuts or apples. Hell, I can't even eat fruit salad and pick the apple out because the other food is contaminated. But hey, if I don't want my body to violently and painfully reject my breakfast, I'll give the fruit salad a miss.
    Yeah, I'm not really getting his stance on this. He must be an engineer, because they like to take something simple and complicate the crap out of it. I know because I'm married to one :laugh:
  • leomcdee
    Options
    LOL like wheat?

Yeah, I'm not really getting his stance on this. He must be an engineer, because they like to take something simple and complicate the crap out of it. I know because I'm married to one :laugh:

Me too! Well, a software engineer, kinda the same thing right? He's also gluten and dairy intolerant. We're a nightmare to have over for dinner.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't think removing wheat from your diet has any scientifically proven benefits. Sure, some people may feel better and if that is the case, by all means abstain from wheat. The main problem is that wheat is in almost all processed products and makes our wheat intake much higher than it should be. I see nothing wrong with eating below the recommended amount of wheat per day. I have trouble getting enough fiber without eating wheat products.
    Options
    LOL like wheat?

Me too! Well, a software engineer, kinda the same thing right? He's also gluten and dairy intolerant. We're a nightmare to have over for dinner.
    ROFL. Same thing. Any type of engineer. I swear "over-complicate the hell out of everything 101" is a University requirement in any engineering program! Sure makes life interesting :smile:
  • chrisleibman
    chrisleibman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It was very hard at first... I am about nine months in to becoming gluten free and around 95% of the way there. I have to say that my digestion does feel a world better because of it. And that one change put in to motion others including no more fast food because gluten is in all of it, limiting dairy and deciding to only eat fish for meat. The better I do, the better I feel. I now eat a ton of veggies, fruits, legumes, nuts and fish (around 3-4 times a week). A lot of 'minor' health issues improved.

Some days all I want to do is pound down cheeseburgers and pizza but I don't and as time goes on it gets easier and easier. One thing I did notice though, is that the cleaner my diet is the more I suffer when I do have an occasional cheat which we all do. Seems my digestive system has become less tolerant of junk food and just cant process it any longer.

I read the book around a year ago and I think many of the claims are a little over the top. I did lose weight at first but it slowly came back as my body adjusted. At the end of the day it really wasn't a weight loss choice - it was a feel better choice.

One of the hardest parts about going gluten free for me was learning all of the other great alternatives there are out there to a gluten rich diet. I never knew I had so many food choices available to me because I was so focused on the basic, fast food, processed, poor diet so many of us fall in to.

After nine months I have learned so much and feel good about these choices so I'm back to MFP to control the calories and lose some weight! Best of luck to you!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    LOL like wheat?

Snap! You made me laugh! I work for 4 of them :sad:
  • leomcdee
    Options
    LOL like wheat?

ROFL. Same thing. Any type of engineer. I swear "over-complicate the hell out of everything 101" is a University requirement in any engineering program! Sure makes life interesting :smile:

Haha! So true!
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Someone didn't understand the question, I gave an admittedly simplistic example. Given the rampant number of misinformed self-diagnoses, I tend to take anyone's personal experiences and anecdotes with a dump truck of salt.

Non-celiac gluten sensitivity likely doesn't exist:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html

http://tinyurl.com/k3dl8vq
  • annassong
    Options
    What..... Gluten is in almost everything you buy prepackaged at a supermarket not just bread. Why over complicate things when what she's doing at the moment has solved it for her?