New here, really looking for non judgemental support

Options
2»

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options

1. Weightloss is 80% diet and only 20% exercise and that exercise stuff can wait. I didn't invent this ratio. Its seems to be the latest right view. If you start worrying about exercise at this stage of your journey you may well injure yourself. that said any type of movement is good. Have a go at washing the windows. But i bet you won't feel like doing that if you are depressed. I have always found it hard to do any exercise when i'm depressed. Anyway housework or gardening is a great way to get exercise.

2. You will find it easier to eat less right from the start of your journey if you reduce your carbs a lot.

3. YOu can get yourself into an optimistic mode of mind if you can just start and get a little bit of a result.

6. Don't be in a big rush to get this weight off. Its just not going to all come off in a short time. Accept this and be patient. You will have more success in the long term if you do it for the long term. And tailor your eating style for the long term. If you think about it in this way you can cultivate your commitment and keep making good choices.

If boredom is an issue, and it probably is if you can't do much, then you need to find some stimulating activities to help you avoid boredom eating.

I agree with this. Depending on your personality for some people the cold turkey approach is best, but for most a gradual approach works best eg replacing all soda pop with diet and soon after that moving to water! Lots and lots of water! With that step alone you are likely to lose a massive amount of weight! And the water helps with the skin, which is important when you lose lots of weight!

Eventually as the weight drops (and it will) exercise becomes a more viable option! But as people have said, even for those of us that exercise hard, nutrition is 80% of the work in weight loss!

Initially the rate of weight loss may be very high, but will slow down to eventually 1 or 2 pounds a week ( though that may be when you hit 200 or more lost). The thing is to keep at it when the weight loss slows or stops altogether! This is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change for life (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1454303-2-years-of-maintenance-130-pounds-lost)

Pop by the success stories forum whenever you need some motivation!

The fact that you are here tells me that you will do this, and I look forward to reading your story on the success stories forum! Make sure you take full body pictures throughout your journey! They often tell you a lot more than what the scale is saying!

The journey begins...
  • Tambam40
    Tambam40 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I will support u. I do Over eaters anonymous it a 12 step program. I understand the way food take a hold of u.:smile::wink:
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hey Megan. I was close to 400 pounds when I started. It's hard, but believe me it's damn worth it. Feel free to add me. I am completely non judgmental. :)
  • VincentRParker
    VincentRParker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, awesome comments and advice. I, too, would recommend focusing on diet at first. As someone else said, 80% of it is what you eat. Cutting out carbs, especially simple carbs, can make a huge difference. No doubt. And even seeing a little change will help keep you motivated. You got plenty of advice and lots of invites, so really I just wanted to say hi, you can definitely do it, just keep it slow and steady. Good luck! Though, you don't need it because you can and will do it.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to sugar and I look at it as a problem just as tragic as alcohol or drugs. I have a compulsive side that makes it extra hard not to binge, when I don't allow myself a sweet snack from time to time. I hear people talk about quitting sugar. I would really like to do that but I just don't know where to start (short of just not buying sugary foods). Sugar is everywhere! Even in my snap peas, carrots. and stir fry peppers. I have tried sugar free "stuff" but with all of the Sorbitol, my system can't deal with it. I like your idea of joining up with Over Eaters Anonymous. I will have to try and find a group near my home.
  • RebekahAwesome1
    Options
    Hi Megan, I'm new here too, as in this is my first day lol. Just signed up this morning and started with the Wharton clinic 2 weeks ago. feel free to add me, I'm not judgmental at all. (except maybe toward myself, I find I am my own worse enemy.)
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this Megan! I'll send you a friend request and we can encourage each other. I was 502lbs when I started, and if I can change my life I know you can to! I personally started with changing the way I ate. I cut way back on calories and stopped drinking sugary drinks like soda, juice, and sweet tea.

Message me if you need to talk!

You got this!
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I will support u. I do Over eaters anonymous it a 12 step program. I understand the way food take a hold of u.:smile::wink:

I was going to suggest this or another type of group meeting or even talking to a therapist. The mental stronghold food has over some of us can be more tougher than counting calories. In my case, therapy uncovered some very painful memories that I was hiding with food. As hard it was at first to face these memories, I am in debt to my therapist, and I am now able to have a healthy relationship with food.
  • xael1234
    xael1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with mobility at first as well. I bought a $20 pedaler, it's just the bike pedals and you can sit on couch chair wherever and use it. When I first started I could only do 4 rotations before I was out of breath,, wheezing. That was August 1st. I can do 10 minutes now and my walking ability has improved so much.
    Even if you just stand for a little bit, don't overdo, but anything you do that you haven't done in awhile is exercise for your body and you will start to notice a difference.
    I'm here if you need encouragement or to vent ect
    God Bless
  • xael1234
    xael1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    oh and also what the poster above said. I started counselling when I started this journey. I was emotional eating to deal with a lot of things in my past and my life and anxiety came back fast. She is helping me through it because I DESPERATELY do not want to go back to old patterns
  • kalinbeima
    kalinbeima Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Megan, we all start somewhere and that your at the point where you want and are committed to being healthier is an accomplishment itself. I'm about 3 weeks in and the support MFP friends brings really helps stay motivated through both good and bad days. You can do it and we are here to help! Be honest with your tracking and I totally agree with Skyleesmommy (she's a great friend to have btw) about the TDEE on fitnessfrog.com. I sent you a friend request and anyone else can add me toot:)
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Megan, you are such a beautiful young woman. My heart was hurting when I read your goals. I remember wondering if I was going to make it to 30. I didn't believe I was. I really thought I was going to die. My highest weight was 400lbs, and I suffered with a host of health problems stemming from complications of PCOS. You've taken the most important step of your life- you've reached out for help.

It doesn't matter how many times you fall, as long as every time, you keep on getting back up. God knows this isn't easy. If it was, we'd every one look like Marilyn Monroe, but it's worth it. What matters is that you work towards YOUR personal best. Every day. You take it day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute. You don't have to give up things that you love and enjoy, it's about learning how to eat responsibly, and making things work in the right portion sizes.

I'm a firm believer diets do NOT work. Changing your lifestyle does. That's why I never cut out Reese's cups, Mountain Dew, Pizza, or anything else I liked- I just didn't sit down and eat the entire bag of Reese's Cups at one sitting, or have an entire pizza, I have a slice or two. I don't drink a large Mountain Dew except on a RARE occasion, I drink a small. You get the picture. I incorporated things I liked as well as eating a balanced, healthy diet of other things I liked- fruits (LOVE me some fruit) veggies that I enjoy (no, I do love them all) but the ones I do love, I rotate in meals, and good proteins. I'm not hungry. I don't starve myself. I don't eat "nuts and twigs" (that's what I call food that's just nasty).

I try new things out, and I look at my friends diaries or recipes here and there for inspiration or ideas maybe for something I might want to do for myself or family.

Even if you're unable to move or walk, you'd be surprised at some of the things you can do sitting! This is something you may be interested in! It's something you can watch on the computer, and do right along with the instructor. It's "seated" exercises. Everything is done from your chair! No standing is required!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vPJKAG0mknI

And another thing that you might enjoy, is Chair Yoga! I absolutely LOVE yoga! And with Chair Yoga, these are poses that are done from your chair! It tells a little more about it on this website, and has some instructional DVD's available.

yogajp.com/chairyoga.html

I hope this helps out some, and know that we're rooting for you!
  • Dumbbell69
    Dumbbell69 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Never judge, feel free to add me
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Hi Megan, welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou: You've made the first and possibly the hardest step by coming here, acknowledging you need help and asking for it! There have been lots of useful suggestions already but I would definitely second roping in those around you to help. You say you can't get to the doctor's so I assume someone else does your shopping for you? Ask them to help you and to not bring unhealthy things in to the house anymore. Surround yourself with healthier choices, but then here comes the hard part - YOU have to make the commitment to eat those healthier things. You say you won't eat it if you don't like it, well, it's time to change those tastebuds my lovely! Keep trying different foods, there are loads and loads of yummy, lower calorie, less fatty ones out there, you just have to find the ones for you! One step at a time, cut out things slowly, don't go mad. Switch to diet soda or water, drink LOTS of water. Go onto fun-sized chocolate bars instead of full-sized ones. Don't worry too much about exercise just now, but perhaps start with walking round the room, then walk to the end of the garden, then the street... CariJean64 gave some good ideas too.

An most of all, good luck, you've started the first day of the rest of your life - make it a healthy one! Hugs to you.
    +1 add me 2!