Apple cider vinegar

Options
I read online (I know a very dangerous thing to do) but I saw that it had many health benefits including higher energy and relief from allergies. Just curious who actually drinks this and if you noticed any improvements? I'm not wanting a miracle elixir, I'm looking for something natural to help with allergy relief and fatigue and if it helps with weight loss all the better.

Replies

• aubaby
    aubaby Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I drank two tablespoons in a cup of pink grapefruit juice before each meal. I think it did cut my appetite some but I did not see any greater weight loss. Grapefruit juice is supposed to do the same thing so, I don't know if it was the vinegar or the grapefruit juice. The vinegar is supposed to deliver improved liver function and do a host of other things. I stopped because my hair stylists told me that my hair was becoming resistant to color and that everything you consume ends up in your hair. Call me vain but I stopped to see if that is really the case. Will know next month. :smile:
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If it reads like a snake oil sales pitch it probably is.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Most of the benefits attributed to apple cider vinegar are completely bogus or at least unproven by science. The most laughable one is that it makes your blood more alkaline -- laughable because vinegar itself is acidic which is the opposite of alkaline and blood pH stays in a narrow range irrespective of what you eat.
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have on occasion put a splash in my water for flavor. I don't know if there are any real side effects from it, I haven't done it that much. I also read that drinking it can help kill/cure Candida yeast overgrowth in the digestive system. Again, have no idea if that is true or what.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm sure a lot of the claims are exaggerated, but I think I will try anything to get my allergies to lessen. Antihistamines and allergy treatments aren't cutting it.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I drink it for heartburn and acid reflux. Sounds crazy, but it works better than any over the counter stuff.... it would not make you lose weight though.....
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    No.
  • peacock567
    peacock567 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've used it mostly as a cleanse. After a week of drinking it my skin looks better then ever. It does work as an appetite suppressant, but I think thats just because its not the easiest on your tummy.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've heard people swear by it that it helps ward off colds!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can mix it with water and use it as a facial toner or use it to cleanse your scalp.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I drink it for heartburn and acid reflux. Sounds crazy, but it works better than any over the counter stuff.... it would not make you lose weight though.....

You drink acid.. to address acid reflux? :huh: So you are literally fighting fire with fire.
    h0DC4CAA0
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but did some research on this a while back for skin allergies. I found that to get the benefits (if there are any) you have to drink the cider vinegar that has the "mother" in it. You would probably find it in the organic/health food section in the supermarket or a health food store. I drank it for a while, but to be honest, I did not notice any benefit.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but did some research on this a while back for skin allergies. I found that to get the benefits (if there are any) you have to drink the cider vinegar that has the "mother" in it. You would probably find it in the organic/health food section in the supermarket or a health food store. I drank it for a while, but to be honest, I did not notice any benefit.

You ever grab a thing of vinegar from the back of the pantry that had a slimy/cloudy film on it? That is the "mother." You don't need to go to a fancy store to find vinegar with the fermenting body in it because good old regular grocery store vinegar already has the fermenting body in it, just to a lesser extent and the introduction of oxygen when you open the bottle encourages it's growth.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Fermented foods are good for your gut. I pickle a lot of different vegetables and use a lot of apple cider vinegar in the process, but I never heard of anyone drinking the stuff. That sounds pretty hard core.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

You drink acid.. to address acid reflux? :huh: So you are literally fighting fire with fire.
    [img][/img]
    Which is sometimes done ;) Ever heard of a fire break.
    At any rate, I have heard people claim, and I believe it is being investigated that ingesting a wek acid like vinegar or lemon juice may signal the body to shut down the proton pump therefore relieving the acid excess acid.
    I've never tried it. I'm too afraid to aggravate the situation. :)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The theory behind it is there is some acid in vinegar it's called acetic acid and it's not as strong or not as a potent acid as straight hydrochloric acid which is in our stomach. So we do need the acid, but what this does is lowers the pH, but not as strongly as stomach hydrochloric acid. So you still have enough acid to help with digesting the food, for sanitizing the food, but not too much acid so that you're causing heartburn symptoms or the reflux symptoms. The recipe for it is basically two to three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, which is about 10 to 15 milliliters in an 8 ounce glass of water.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Most of the benefits attributed to apple cider vinegar are completely bogus or at least unproven by science. The most laughable one is that it makes your blood more alkaline -- laughable because vinegar itself is acidic which is the opposite of alkaline and blood pH stays in a narrow range irrespective of what you eat.

The byproducts of metabolizing it are alkaline (just like with lemons) and can help your body maintain the proper pH. All foods affect your pH so it's not that hard to believe. Our body maintains alkaline reserves in order to keep the blood and other bodily fluids in the narrow range that you referred to.
  • desidieter
    Options
    I've heard you can mix it with water and use it as a facial toner or use it to cleanse your scalp.

I use it on my face whenever I have breakouts. ACV + bentonite clay face packs are seriously the best pore-cleanser/acne treatments I've come across.

I keep thinking about drinking it, because apparently it helps skin and hair when ingested (vs just topically), but I have no idea how true that actually is.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking one tablespoon of raw, unpasteurised, unfiltered ACV in a glass of water, twice a day for the past sixteen months. I always sip through a straw to protect my teeth enamel. It used to help me with my digestion, but no longer. I now use it as a facial toner and hair rinse. Mix 1 part ACV to 5 parts water for a clarifying hair rinse before you shampoo your hair. The smell will dissipate when your hair is completely dry. You'll get shiny locks, and a scalp that is dandruff free. As a toner, I mix 1 part ACV to 3 parts water. It works wonders for blemishes... if you can get past the smell!
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I put 2tbsp in a glass of water every day. ACV with the "mother". Very good for HBP and has helped bring mine down 10points.