Can Not Loose Weight

Options

Replies

• LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    with all that exercise, liable to have a lot of muscle mass, which weighs twice as heavy as fat does.

and you sound fit n healthy so why worry about a few pounds.....
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost all my food. If I'm missing 30 calories from a banana hear and there I really don't think that is the real root of my problem. I use a Polar heart rate monitor, so I try and calculate my work outs as best as I can. Thanks for your help guys, just thought trying to post on one of these boards would help :/

All we can all really do is make guesses and suggestions. Your best option is to see a nutrition expert or a doctor. Print your diary, schedule an appointment and go talk to someone who does nutrition and weight lose for a living. Or talk to a doctor to see if the weight gain has a medical reason.

Random generic people online only can guess and make suggestions of things you can do which, tbh, you don't seem to agree with which is fine but nobody is being unhelpful. Our best guess is as good as your best guess as to why you are gaining and not losing. Obviously something is not working or something is inaccurate since you are gaining weight but we are not going to have a magical answer to your problems.

Good for you for quitting smoking! I know it all seems discouraging but don't give up! I really suggest going to a medical source for help on this.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    OP claims to have logged accurately every day and all of you believe her?

Check her diary. A month or more is incomplete or missing. OP, the key is consistency and accuracy. Merely owning an account on MFP is not enough; you have to put in the work. Your logging is the problem. Good news, it is a way easier fix than having rounds of blood draws and doctor's appointments.

This. In the beginning it was a little tedious and of course I had to deal with comments from people that I was obsessive about how much I was eating. After so many tried-and-failed attempts at weight loss for years, it's the only thing that worked though. It took me a long time to lose the weight but over that time I've become pretty intuitive to what 2 tbsp of PB looks like, what a 100g banana looks like (small!) etc. I've maintained for over a year by using what I've learned when I was losing. I still plan most of my meals for the week. I definitely go out to eat every now and then too. It's about balance.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Check her diary. A month or more is incomplete or missing. OP, the key is consistency and accuracy. Merely owning an account on MFP is not enough; you have to put in the work. Your logging is the problem. Good news, it is a way easier fix than having rounds of blood draws and doctor's appointments.

QFT

OP you are getting the answers that you need here.

Log everything you eat everyday
    Weigh and measure all of your food
    Stay consistent

If you are not losing, then you are eating more calories than you think.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    with all that exercise, liable to have a lot of muscle mass, which weighs twice as heavy as fat does.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Muscle is more dense, not heavier
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    OP, a 6 ounce, lightly breaded veal cutlet is not 50 calories. Most bananas weigh closer to 200 grams. Grapes are deceptive and "1 cup" is misleading. You have to weigh them. You're probably eating double the calories in the fruit you consume. That adds up quickly.

And a breaded, pan seared veal cutlet that weighs 6 ounces is closer to 400 calories, plus the touch of oil you use to cook it. It's not 50. On veal cutlet day, I'd dare guess you ate twice as many calories that day as you counted.

There are things like that all in your diary. You really have to be more honest with yourself if you want this to work.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    OP, Also, I believe someone already suggested it, but take measurements. You may have lost inches.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

^QFT
    and +1 more

I will admit, personally, to not doing weighing...and I definitely "guesstimate"...but I'm still seeing the numbers dropping pretty consistently.

I had a plateau for about 2 weeks but it started moving again..and that plateau coincided with poor logging..connection? Perhaps :tongue:

At any rate, I agree with others saying make sure that you are consistently/accurately logging everything. If you THEN don't see any movement..it might be time to see what doc thinks.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

and you sound fit n healthy so why worry about a few pounds.....

NO.

Not sure how you get your math that it's twice as heavy. ..smh.

But I'm going to severely doubt OP is gaining muscle. Let alone enough muscle to stall any potential weight loss in a supposed deficit. Muscle gain doesn't happen by accident.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Yes You Can.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Yes You Can.

Like the little engine that could!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Over the past year I have gained 30lbs back.

Fact. Too many calories. Whip that logging into shape and the rest will workout with or without exercise.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

Heavier is just another way of saying that an object is denser!!
  • Vortex_ConQueso
    Options

smart_guy_shaking_head_no_md_clr.gif
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost all my food. If I'm missing 30 calories from a banana hear and there I really don't think that is the real root of my problem. I use a Polar heart rate monitor, so I try and calculate my work outs as best as I can. Thanks for your help guys, just thought trying to post on one of these boards would help :/

Checking out your diary it looks like you weigh very little of your food and rely mostly on cup measurements. Cups are for liquids, not solids. You're missing calories with most of your entries and are likely eating a lot more than you think you are. It works the same for everyone. If you're in a deficit you lose, if you're in a surplus you gain, if you are staying the same you're at maintenance.

Start weighing ALL your food and use cups only for liquids. Barring a medical condition, the scale would have been moving downwards at a nice clip if you were truly eating 1300 calories.
  • KaraB1987
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for their help/input!! Much appreciated!!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

No...not the case.

Weight is weight....
    a 1 pound rock and a 1 pound bag of feathers is still 1 pound.
    a 1 pound rock (or rock in general) is gonna be more dense than a feather or a bag of feathers.

So in order for me to get to 1 pound with rocks
    I need LESS of them to achieve 1 pound....they are more dense
    But with feathers, I will need a lot of them to get to 1 pound. they are less dense
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for their help/input!! Much appreciated!!

Try weighing, measuring and logging everything correctly for 2 weeks. I bet you'll see a difference :smile:

Good luck to you!!!
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

smart_guy_shaking_head_no_md_clr.gif
    [/quot]
    Lol, if something is heavier by volume than another object it is denser. Shake your head all you want but, physics!
  • fitnessman77777
    Options
    When I read your post the fact that it all began going downhill after you quit smoking really stood out to me. You then saw immediate negative results and have been trying to gain back ground ever since. May I suggest to you something absolutely wild? If you change your focus you will change your results. You still continue to see those numbers in your head even though you quit stepping on the scale. Free yourself from the negative energy that flows through your memories from the quitting cigarettes stage of your journey. Your mind is powerful and your body reacts according to its beliefs. Begin to focus on wellness and what it felt like to lose fifty pounds that first go round. Stay fixed on wellness and visualize yourself in peak physical state. Hope for it with joy and fuel your vision with action.
    To your success,
    Will I Am

Follow me @ gotencouragement.gr8.com