Can Not Loose Weight

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    with all that exercise, liable to have a lot of muscle mass, which weighs twice as heavy as fat does.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Muscle is more dense, not heavier
    Heavier is just another way of saying that an object is denser!!

smart_guy_shaking_head_no_md_clr.gif
    Lol, if something is heavier by volume than another object it is denser. Shake your head all you want but, physics!

So if you have a pound of muscle and a pound of fat in front of you, would you say the muscle was heavier?
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I would definitely look at upping to 1600. Even if only for a couple days. Your body will hold onto everything it can if it thinks it's starving!! If it is starving, it will start eating muscle, which will hurt your metabolism even more.

I think this is a myth, no?

If she was under weight or close to ideal weight, then yes... but at her weight, eating 1200 calories a day, is not under eating enough to impact her metabolism. Something else is going on here.

Even if you had a really severe thyroid disorder, at the worst case would be up to -10% slower BMR.

If I had to guess, guesstimating on your diary entries are wrong/inaccurate.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    with all that exercise, liable to have a lot of muscle mass, which weighs twice as heavy as fat does.

Lol, if something is heavier by volume than another object it is denser. Shake your head all you want but, physics!

So if you have a pound of muscle and a pound of fat in front of you, would you say the muscle was heavier?

One is not heavier than the other.

You just said " a pound of muscle and a pound of fat"
    A pound is a fixed measurement....

You will have more fat in front of you than muscle though......that is density
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

I wouldn't try to determine if one was heavier if the only info I had was the weight of the two items. When you comparing weight you are comparing by equal volume. It's kinda how it works if you want real data.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I wouldn't try to determine if one was heavier if the only info I had was the weight of the two items. When you comparing weight you are comparing by equal volume. It's kinda how it works if you want real data.

:huh: :huh:
    You don't have to determine which was heavier.
    They are both 1 pound......
    Their weight has already been established.

The amount of space they take up is different.

So muscle is more dense than fat.
    Equal weight in muscle and fat having been established.....the fat will take up more space than the muscle will.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of stupid comments from those obviously oblivious to the fact that the body becomes resistant to weight loss when it thinks its starving. Just because she weighs 220 pounds doesn’t mean her body doesn’t think she’s emaciating herself.

In any case, asking on a forum is not terribly intelligent as you're getting the advice from illegitimate sources. If you're having problems you should speak to a doctor and a nutritionist with a medical degree (not the idiot working at a health food store).

Umm, ok. :huh:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I see a lot of stupid comments from those obviously oblivious to the fact that the body becomes resistant to weight loss when it thinks its starving. Just because she weighs 220 pounds doesn’t mean her body doesn’t think she’s emaciating herself.

It doesn't become resistant to weight loss.....
    The body just slows down the metabolism.....
    You will still lose weight if you take in less calories than you need....that's all.

The equation is constant, the variables will change.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

Equal weight in muscle and fat having been established.....the fat will take up more space than the muscle will.
    Yes absolutely, but the flip of that equation is also true. If you have 1cubic inch of fat and one cubic inch of muscle which will weigh more? The muscle, because it is denser. Thus muscle, by volume,(which is implied) weighs more than fat. Shrug*
  • erinc4444
    Options
    I quit smoking 4 years ago and also gained about 26 lbs. Everyone I know gained when quitting smoking, they say the toxins/chemicals in cigarettes speed up your metabolism when you quit you gain weight.

You did a great thing (hardest thing to do is to quit smoking), there is a light at the end of tunnel after about 12-15 months my body adjusted to not having the cigarettes and I was able to take off the weight. The weight gain/loss timeline was about the same for 2 friends and a sister (all in late thirties to early forties) Looking back the weight gain/loss and struggles was worth it because I am no longer a smoker.

Best of luck to you!
  • MityMax96
    Options

Yes absolutely, but the flip of that equation is also true. If you have 1cubic inch of fat and one cubic inch of muscle which will weigh more? The muscle, because it is denser. Thus muscle, by volume,(which is implied) weighs more than fat. Shrug*

Ok, I get where you are coming from now....

I did not read the post in that manner

But I am doubting that OP has replaced fat for muscle, even w/ all the exercise she has done....
    Kinda hard to put on muscle while in caloric deficit and to be female on top of that.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

hugs* someone gets it! I swear it makes me a bit crazy that people don't see the inverse equation as true.
  • MityMax96
    Options

hugs* someone gets it! I swear it makes me a bit crazy that people don't see the inverse equation as true.

:wink: :wink:
    Not that I didn't see it as true....
    I just wasn't getting the angle you were coming from......since we were speaking based on 1 pound of each being in front of us.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the replies. However, if you are not losing weight, then you either (1) need to pay a visit to the doctor to have your thyroid checked or check for other problems or (2) you are eating more than you think you are.

Most times it's the latter. Often times we underestimate calories in and overestimate calories out.

You say you log your food. Do you weight your portions? Do you log every single thing you put into your mouth? Do you log your exercise? If so, where do you get those estimates from?

If you were truly eating 1300 calories you would be losing weight. Eating more, while still staying in a calorie deficit is to properly fuel your body only, not to lose weight. You want to have energy to do whatever you do, including those wonderful workouts. :smile:
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

In any case, asking on a forum is not terribly intelligent as you're getting the advice from illegitimate sources. If you're having problems you should speak to a doctor and a nutritionist with a medical degree (not the idiot working at a health food store).

Aye yai yai
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

:wink: :wink:
    Not that I didn't see it as true....
    I just wasn't getting the angle you were coming from......since we were speaking based on 1 pound of each being in front of us.
    Ok I see. The reason I refused to answer her question is she gave me 1lb of each thinking she could prove muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. Because she was looking for weight comparison but gave the weight and nothing else made her argument circular and invalid.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

here we go again....

Anyway, I think we all are (including the OP) agreeing she hasn't been properly logging in her food. She's not starving :laugh:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • Negative_X
    Options

This piece of information is tossed around way too much, generally by people who aren't losing weight and are looking for an excuse. (it's right up there with people self diagnosing themselves with a thyroid disorder as well) It take months and months of severely underrating severely to impact your metabolism, even more so if you're already severely obese.

The original poster of this thread, is 220 pounds at 5 foot 4. She is pretty overweight. 1200 calories a day, is appropriate.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Wow first post insults the OP and everyone who responded to her. And some poor guy working at a health food store. Nice.
  • Negative_X
    Options

Read:

http://www.fattyfightsback.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html