Can Not Loose Weight

Options

Replies

• una2282
    una2282 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hope she will be able to figure it all out, it's frustrating not seeing results for sure!
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of stupid comments from those obviously oblivious to the fact that the body becomes resistant to weight loss when it thinks its starving. Just because she weighs 220 pounds doesn’t mean her body doesn’t think she’s emaciating herself.

In any case, asking on a forum is not terribly intelligent as you're getting the advice from illegitimate sources. If you're having problems you should speak to a doctor and a nutritionist with a medical degree (not the idiot working at a health food store).

I'm legitimate. My parents were married. :tongue:
  • lcox363
    lcox363 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well by reading this thread, I am seeing that I myself have not been logging correctly either. I do not weigh my food and by not doing so thought that I was staying within my daily caloric goal. I have the same difficulty as the original poster whereas I work out 3x a week with a a trainer, log my food and am not losing. As a matter of fact, I lost 14lbs at the beginning of the year with a different trainer and when she left, I worked out by myself and gained it all back.
    I am now working out with someone else ( even more than before) and am not seeing any results.

While I do eat better (not the best) I do not weigh my food. I am definitely going to start though. My question is do I really need to weigh my fruits and veggies?
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options

While I do eat better (not the best) I do not weigh my food. I am definitely going to start though. My question is do I really need to weigh my fruits and veggies?

Yes. Especially fruit, since the sugar content can be high and packs on the calories. But once you get into a habit of it, it's not so bad. And after while, you'll get so good at it/used to it, you'll be able to start eyeballing food and knowing fairly close to the macro breakdown without weighing it. (all tho I still love weighing my food... it's nice being able to quantify your health/food intake with numbers)

Leafy green veggies I generally don't weigh, since their caloric content is extremely low. But overall, I'd just get into an initial habit of weighing everything at first.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Well by reading this thread, I am seeing that I myself have not been logging correctly either. I do not weigh my food and by not doing so thought that I was staying within my daily caloric goal. I have the same difficulty as the original poster whereas I work out 3x a week with a a trainer, log my food and am not losing. As a matter of fact, I lost 14lbs at the beginning of the year with a different trainer and when she left, I worked out by myself and gained it all back.
    I am now working out with someone else ( even more than before) and am not seeing any results.

I'm so glad at least one person was helped by this thread!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

YES! Weigh everything. It makes a big difference. I used to not weight my food at all. Then I came on here and that is all people said to me. So I started to do so and I couldn't believe how off I was with my guesstimates. I now even way items that do have a label, like peanut butter. It says 2 tbs on the jar and a certain amount of grams. If you weigh 2 tbsp of that peanut butter in grams it does not add up. It is actually more like 1 to 1 1/2 tbs per serving. Weigh it all no matter what, cause at the end of the day and week that food that you just guesstimated on adds up pretty quickly.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

I'm so glad at least one person was helped by this thread!

I ditto that!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I am gonna put this right here:
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/07/24/3549931.htm

I am not saying for anyone to do this, as it is unhealthy....
    But the idea that there is "starvation" mode or something.....is a bit far flung.
    Or you have a damaged metabolism......
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Seems he was part of a study also.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

YES! Weigh everything. It makes a big difference. I used to not weight my food at all. Then I came on here and that is all people said to me. So I started to do so and I couldn't believe how off I was with my guesstimates. I now even way items that do have a label, like peanut butter. It says 2 tbs on the jar and a certain amount of grams. If you weigh 2 tbsp of that peanut butter in grams it does not add up. It is actually more like 1 to 1 1/2 tbs per serving. Weigh it all no matter what, cause at the end of the day and week that food that you just guesstimated on adds up pretty quickly.

It really does add up quick. Here is a good example as to why foods should be weighed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • lcox363
    lcox363 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That video is a HUGE wake up for me because it is exactly what I do...guess.
    I am getting a scale this weekend and am going to start measuring everything. Within the next 2 weeks, I hope to see
    results on the scale!

Thanks for that.
  • MsWendyjc
    MsWendyjc Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yay on giving up smoking!! If you can do that you can do this :))

I gave up over 3 yrs ago now and like the rest put it on in weight .. one addiction sadly replaces another.
    Anyway Last year i was on MFP, I've been using MFP for a long time (old account) and i was working out every day, going to gym and cycling and doing Jillian Michaels via utube .. and on the go all the time but i couldn't get my weight to drop!

I was guestimating a lot and enjoying a drink on weekends
    and not being as series as i needed to be about taking control!

Eventually i gave up and a few weeks ago i cracked it big time and deleted my MFP account ... to start afresh!

And i decided to take heed to what many have said to me ...

Its about balance and control 80% what your eating,
    and the other 20% exercise ...

For the past 10 days now,
    I have been on a 1500 calorie plan and purchasing meals readily made to give myself
    more of an understanding on portion control and snack and meal ideas,
    which i will create myself once i am confident i have the right mindset..

I've lost 4kilo (8.8Ibs) in that time and feel great .. I'm not exercising everyday
    but i have been out cycling 3 times this week and ridden 35k (20miles)
    and I'm heading out again today because i have time ...

It's finding the right plan of attack for yourself and making sure your eating the right amount of calories to keep the balance ...

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    OP, a 6 ounce, lightly breaded veal cutlet is not 50 calories. Most bananas weigh closer to 200 grams. Grapes are deceptive and "1 cup" is misleading. You have to weigh them. You're probably eating double the calories in the fruit you consume. That adds up quickly.

And a breaded, pan seared veal cutlet that weighs 6 ounces is closer to 400 calories, plus the touch of oil you use to cook it. It's not 50. On veal cutlet day, I'd dare guess you ate twice as many calories that day as you counted.

There are things like that all in your diary. You really have to be more honest with yourself if you want this to work.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    OP, I suggest reading this. Even if you are weighing things it's entirely possible that you are using the wrong entries and that can cause logging inaccuracies as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Work on being more accurate and consistent in your logging for about a month and then see if that helps.

Thank you for posting this! :flowerforyou:
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    1300 calories with 60 minutes of exercise? that is not enough food so your body is going to be resistant to losing weight. Set your macros to 50% protein 30% carbs 20% fat at 1600 calories, that should do the trick
    Lol not losing weight at 1300 cals and you think upping to 1600, I don't care what macros you suggest, is gonna make her lose weight?

It very possibly could. I hit a major plateau a while back, and I was only eating roughly 1200 to 1300 calories per day, which in hindsight I know is not enough. So I followed some advice and reset my goals which raised my calories by about 500. Almost right away I started losing weight and have been losing steadily since. It sounds backwards, but it's true. You have to eat enough to fuel your body. Now, I'm not saying for certain this is her issue, but it was certainly mine. I'm sure I will get a lot of rude comments for saying this, but it's just my experience.
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    While I'm the last to believe in simple CICO - because published studies have proven that certain foods of equal calories and equal far/carb/protein can be metabolized differently (and the same food is metabolized differently from person to person).

But increasing calories to lose weight is pushing the boundaries of reality. I get athletes that aren't eating sufficiently, but once your body is used to a certain caloric intake - and that intake is one that keeps you balanced and mentally focused - increasing that number (assuming just larger portions of the same diet) cannot increase weight loss for someone that is overweight. Anecdotal stories don't cut it.

The body doesn't lose or gain weight linearly in the short term. Over time, you can see the trend line, but chances are if you are still overweight and not losing weight, you need to cut the calories further (medical issues notwithstanding). Increasing workouts may help, but it takes some time for the body to recognize what is short term vs long term.

1300 calories with 60 minutes of exercise? that is not enough food so your body is going to be resistant to losing weight. Set your macros to 50% protein 30% carbs 20% fat at 1600 calories, that should do the trick
    Lol not losing weight at 1300 cals and you think upping to 1600, I don't care what macros you suggest, is gonna make her lose weight?

It very possibly could. I hit a major plateau a while back, and I was only eating roughly 1200 to 1300 calories per day, which in hindsight I know is not enough. So I followed some advice and reset my goals which raised my calories by about 500. Almost right away I started losing weight and have been losing steadily since. It sounds backwards, but it's true. You have to eat enough to fuel your body. Now, I'm not saying for certain this is her issue, but it was certainly mine. I'm sure I will get a lot of rude comments for saying this, but it's just my experience.
  • kissle6
    Options
    I'm 5'6" at 132 lbs and 25% body fat. I eat between 110-125 grams of protein daily and eat 5 small meals a day. Think of your metabolism like a fire. You have to provide fuel for it to create energy. If you don't eat enough, your metabolism will slow down and your body will hold on to what little you provide it. Do not go below 1200, especially since it sounds like you're working out frequently. I have been there & done that and weighed 30 lbs more than I currently do!

Are you eating a carb/protein snack within 30 minutes of your workout to replenish your muscles? Like you, I workout 5-6 days a week with 4 of those being weight lifting (low reps & higher weight) and two consisting of HIIT (hi intensity interval training). Some great after workout snacks would be: greek yogurt with piece of fruit, 100% whole wheat bagel with tablespoon peanut butter, hummus with baby carrots, one small low fat chocolate milk, protein shake with banana, etc.

What about your sugar intake? I saw that you shop "the walls" of the grocery store, but keep in mind that even though a product says it's healthy doesn't mean it is. Even whole grain bread has added sugar. So watch out for added sugar to food.

Hope this helps somewhat. Everyone has offered some great suggestions on this thread!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    After reading all the comments, all I can add is that if you're truly eating at such a deficits as you state and still gained weight, something may be amiss with your metabolism.

I've known only one person in my life that this happened to. She was eating 1000 calories a day and jogging every day. She didn't lose an ounce in 3 months. Turned out her thyroid was way under functioning. Once she was put on thyroid hormones the weight really started to come off. She's also one of the only people I know of that has lost more than 50 pounds and has kept it all off for decades without having to work at it.

So, rarely-very, very rarely a person can have a medical reason for not losing weight. Maybe it's time to talk to your doctor.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost all my food. If I'm missing 30 calories from a banana hear and there I really don't think that is the real root of my problem. I use a Polar heart rate monitor, so I try and calculate my work outs as best as I can. Thanks for your help guys, just thought trying to post on one of these boards would help :/
    Ah. This is also the root of the issue. HRM's are INACCURATE at calorie burn readings when it comes to any anaerobic activity (IE lifting, yoga, etc.)
    Still, if you're only eating 1300 there should be some weight loss. The numbers don't match up. There an inaccuracy somewhere.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Just my experience. You don't have to believe it. All I know is that I hit a major plateau and was not losing for quite some time. I increased my calories as I was told they were too low, and I started losing again almost right away. I changed nothing else. Could it have been a coincidence? Possibly. But it was one heck of a coincidence then.