What's the worst diet/fitness advice you've received?

Replies

• Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Catherine 1979- Cleansing was an actual ritual in my house growing up... if anyone is familiar with castor oil my mom had my siblings and I drink it to cleanse our system (yuck).
  • Exercise will hinder weight loss. Coming from a co-worker who doesn't work out and just changed her diet to cut out all sugars. Can't say it's wrong for her since shes lost 80+lbs in a year, but yeah, to each their own success.
  • I was told just this week that I shouldn't eat bananas because they have too much fat.......

I eat bananas all the time and I've lost over 50 pounds, so I'll keep enjoying them :)
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    I was told just this week that I shouldn't eat bananas because they have too much fat.......

I eat bananas all the time and I've lost over 50 pounds, so I'll keep enjoying them :)

Too much fat??? Bananas are higher in carbs and sugars than most other fruits but there is no fat in them (thats from the Chiquita website). Maybe that person was confusing fat and carbs???
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    About 80% of it.
    Eh, maybe 90%. The most dangerous thing is when somebody takes one tiny bit of information, even if factual, and applies it in the broadest sense possible.
  • All fat in foods is bad for you. Try to eat mostly fat free foods. I am learning that you do need some fats and they are not all created equal! Have you ever looked at the ingredients on some fat free things like cream cheese? I would much rather skip the processed junk and stick with a little of the fat in a light version.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Oh EASILY the Lemon Detox Diet. A few girls I knew (worked with) decided that they would ignore the "detox" element and try and make it a lifestyle habit!!! Yeah OK, so 3 meals a day of ONLY lemon juice, maple syrup, pepper and whatever else goes in... No food AT ALL.

Well yeah, they dropped about 15lbs in a week but they could barely hold their heads up, hardly got any sleep and after that week binged on anything they could get their hands on. Gained back every, single pound.

Funnily enough I was watching re-run's of The Office yesterday and it was featured... Made me laugh because it really was portrayed as utterly ridiculous - and it is!!!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    a few years ago i was in the gym and this guy wanted to use the machine i was using.. so he asked to get in with me and he was like "man you dont have enough weight on here big man" so he packs the weight on and when i get back on it i'm struggling and he's like "come on you go it" so finnally i get it moving and i'm feeling good. well for the next week my chest felt like it was split in half lol i'll never do that again lol
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    fad diets, atkins etc...

Sorry to correct you, but Atkins is not a fad. It is a lifestyle changing plan.

The worst advise I have ever received from a doctor was to go on a low fat, high carb eating plan that was 1,000 calories.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I just can't endorse any Atkins kind of plan. I'm afraid I'm with her on this one.
    To each, their own.
    :drinker:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    "Try a cleanse.

Take herbal supplements to lose weight."

I really think these are worthless. You starve yourself on a cleanseand basically loose water weight. I think the human body is efficient enough. Also, most herbal supplements really haven't been proven to help you lose weight. If they worked, don't you think doctor's would be prescribing them rather than giving people nutrition and fitness or surgery pamphlets?:-P

Shannon
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    One word: soy.
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    DOG food builds muscle BTW i didnt try it:noway:
  • DOG food builds muscle BTW i didnt try it:noway:

WTF?! :noway:
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    DOG food builds muscle BTW i didnt try it:noway:
    Whoa! I never heard that one! That's nuts!! LOL Thanks for sharing!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    I dont know if this is bad but someone once told me to wrap my stomach ang legs in plastic wrap befor exercise,it just reminded me to much of leftovers.
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    I dont know if this is bad but someone once told me to wrap my stomach ang legs in plastic wrap befor exercise,it just reminded me to much of leftovers.
    That's actually not bad advice its like wearing a sweat suit
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Oh EASILY the Lemon Detox Diet. A few girls I knew (worked with) decided that they would ignore the "detox" element and try and make it a lifestyle habit!!! Yeah OK, so 3 meals a day of ONLY lemon juice, maple syrup, pepper and whatever else goes in... No food AT ALL.

Well yeah, they dropped about 15lbs in a week but they could barely hold their heads up, hardly got any sleep and after that week binged on anything they could get their hands on. Gained back every, single pound.

Funnily enough I was watching re-run's of The Office yesterday and it was featured... Made me laugh because it really was portrayed as utterly ridiculous - and it is!!!

I know, I can't believe this is still a thing. I know a bunch of women who've done it. Use your head ladies, seriously! Plus, it sounds putrid, would never try it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    "There's 10 to 15 lbs of waste in your intestines and colon". I forget who said this.

So talked to a gasteroenterologist and mentioned this:

His quote: "If you have 10 to 15 lbs of waste hanging around in your bowels, you're sick and need medical care. If you have THREE pounds of waste that isn't being flushed out by normal processes every day or so, there's something wrong. Waste is toxic, the body doesn't leave it in there, ever, unless there's a problem."

The only thing that flushes do is clear out waste faster than it normally would, causing it to prematurely exit your system, robbing you of nutrients that you need, and it also flushes out good bacteria, stressing your body and making it harder to maintain healthy function.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    "Eat chicken and take this pill"

I was a vegetarian at the time. Oh and btw to the chickie at the Vitamin Outlet... thanks for f'ing up my head about food.

All better now.

:D
    ~Sheryl
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Worst advice: "Get weight loss surgery, you will lose weight faster that way."
This discussion has been closed.