BCAA's - Favorite Brand?

Options
Hey, guys!

I started weight-lifting earlier in the year & now I'm ready to take it up a notch... I understand that BCAA's can help me maintain muscle mass - especially when I'm watching my calorie intake & working out in a fasted state. I have a friend who sells Advocare & swears by the Catalyst product. But, that Advocare stuff is so overpriced!!! Anyways, I'm just curious to know if anyone has a BCAA brand that you swear by....? (Has anyone tried the Advocare Catalyst? Is it worth the price?)

Thanks a TON!!! :)

Replies

• cvarilek
    cvarilek Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know someone that sells it and takes I think 9 a day. She swears by them.....And I can tell you just by looking at her it must work! VERY fit and tone( previously overweight and frumpy) also She's a beast when I've seen her workout. I know she uses some other products but I would have to ask her for sure what it all is.
  • kkneezle
    kkneezle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use Xtend by Scivation and really enjoy it. Lemon Lime Sour and Strawberry Kiwi are both great but have read raving reviews about the Mango Nectar flavor (currently on backorder). Here is a link to Bodybuilding.com where you can check it out: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sv/xtend.html
    Personally I haven't tried Advocare's BCAA but seriously doubt it is worth the money when you compare the products (servings, taste, cost, etc.).

Hope you like Xtend :)
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Unless you're waiting to eat until hours after your workout, it's likely you don't need BCAA's. Have you read through the leangains guide?

If you do decide you need them, definitely go for the powder. Taking all those pills gets old REAL fast. I like the Promera Sports brand. Their mandarin Gluta-Blast is so frickin' delicious.

Edited to add I've also heard good things about Xtend by Scivation.
  • dancedivine
    dancedivine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Unless you're waiting to eat until hours after your workout, it's likely you don't need BCAA's. Have you read through the leangains guide?
    Now, what exactly is the leangains guide? It sounds like something I need to read....

Oh, And thanks so much for the info, guys!!!! :)
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Now, what exactly is the leangains guide? It sounds like something I need to read....

Oh, And thanks so much for the info, guys!!!! :)

Oooh, have fun reading this entire website. :) One of the best guides to fasting/lifting in the fasted state.
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
  • dancedivine
    Options
    Thank you, @Menix8!!!

Also.... Does anyone know anything about this brand? I like the fact that it's marketed for women.... NLA for Her - Her Aminos:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3G3VSY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AD2IKBEYOULXA
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't sell Advocare, but I do like the product (Catalyst).
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The brand I'm most familiar with is Scivation's Xtend. There might be other good brands but this is why I like Scivation.

- Clear label displaying exact amino quantity, doesn't hide behind a "proprietary blend" bull-****
    - Leucine is 3.5grams, which is good because 3grams of Leucine is required for muscle-protein syntesis. What't the point of taking an amino drink with 1.5gms or 2gms unless you take multiple servings and it becomes cost-ineffective.
    - Flavors are pretty bomb, lol
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition's brand.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition's brand.

+1 for ON.. love their amino energy! i drink mine during my workouts
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Xtend by scivation is the best I've had! But I use bcaas twice a day and $23 bucks for a months supply plus my other supplements, I had to find a better price point. I've been using Optimum Nutrition BCAA's and they work just as well. So does Dymatize 50:50 bcaa. You get more for your money and those are brands I trust.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I just started Cellucor's BCAA - watermelon flavored. It tastes like a Jolly Rancher. I do think I have less muscle soreness, but I haven't been using it long to know if it's doing anything else.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Xtend Scivation. It's the OG of BCAA's. cheap, tastes good.

If you train fasted, then yes, BCAA's are a good idea. Make sure whatever BCAA mix you use has at least 3g of Leucine. Leucine is easily the most important amino and the one proven to trigger protein synthesis. 3g is the amount proven by clinical studies.
  • dancedivine
    Options
    Thanks, guys!!! I just put in my order for Scivation Xtend Nutritional Supplement, Mango Nectar. Around $24 on Amazon & free two-day shipping... You can't beat that! ;)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Xtend Scivation. It's the OG of BCAA's. cheap, tastes good.

If you train fasted, then yes, BCAA's are a good idea. Make sure whatever BCAA mix you use has at least 3g of Leucine. Leucine is easily the most important amino and the one proven to trigger protein synthesis. 3g is the amount proven by clinical studies.

Yup. Honestly, I don't know why anybody would take multiple servings throughout the day. If you're taking a Whey supplement not to mention eating lean protein sources, you're getting plenty of amino's in the protein. I think before and maybe during training is the optimal time for these. During training is debatable because MPS is shut-down during a contraction anyway.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I take Advanced Genetics' Ammo-8
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i like BPI's BCAA's
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    MusclePharm Amino 1 in Cherry Limeade is amazing! There is a brand Bodystrong I think that is relatively cheap and its not too bad but I prefer MusclePharm.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bumping for ideas since I'm in the market too!
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    All the BCAA's you'll ever need are in meat of any kind. Supplement makers market this crap for pure profit. Spend your money on quality food.