How much have people managed to lose in a year?

Options

Replies

• Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What sort of calorie intake was everyone on? I am for 1300 a day at the moment although I must admit to only eating about 400 in the day and snackig on healthy stuff in the evening when I get most peckish! & I'm on homemade vegetable soups (no fat just veg, stock, herbs and more veg) for lunch and dinner & I get my protein at breakfast with eggs and drink milk in my tea, so I'm hoping I'm getting enough of everything my body needs.

I lost it all eating around 2,400 calories a day. (I'm 5 foot 9) I just couldn't take eating at such a deficit as many do... I always felt like crap. So I burned it all through vigorous cardio and weight lifting instead.
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What sort of calorie intake was everyone on? I am for 1300 a day at the moment although I must admit to only eating about 400 in the day and snackig on healthy stuff in the evening when I get most peckish! & I'm on homemade vegetable soups (no fat just veg, stock, herbs and more veg) for lunch and dinner & I get my protein at breakfast with eggs and drink milk in my tea, so I'm hoping I'm getting enough of everything my body needs.

I lost it all eating around 2,400 calories a day. (I'm 5 foot 9) I just couldn't take eating at such a deficit as many do... I always felt like crap. So I burned it all through vigorous cardio and weight lifting instead.

It ranges between 2200 and 3000 for me. Depending on what I eat that is healthy and my exercise behind it.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    35lbs in about 7 months
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I've lost 39 of the 45 lbs I set out to lose, and at this point the last 6 lbs don't matter as much as getting my body fat % to where I want it to be. I've never had an MFP daily calorie goal less than 1500, and with exercise I've eaten anywhere from 1700-2200 calories per day. Right now I eat 1900 calories to lose.

It is highly doubtful that you are getting enough of what your body needs with that eating plan, not to mention that you will lose a huge chunk of muscle along with fat by eating so little. You may lose weight but you probably won't be happy with how you look in the mirror.
  • Calleigh33
    Options
    I lost about 55 lbs in 6 months. I'm down to 110-113 , depending on the day / time. I'm almost to my goal weight. 10 or 20 lbs should do it .
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I lost about 45 in a year. 30 of it was no calorie counting and just hard work and portion size control. you should meet your calorie goal and to lose weight i recommend you do cardio in between bodyweight exercises. Example - High knees, 20 wall push ups, run in place, 20 vertical pulls, step side to side and pump arms, shoulder press with cans or weights.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I lost about 55 lbs in 6 months. I'm down to 110-113 , depending on the day / time. I'm almost to my goal weight. 10 or 20 lbs should do it .

Huh? You're trying to get to 93 lbs? :huh:
  • Calleigh33
    Options

[/quo

It's actually 90 lbs . :D Why ? What's it to you ? Something wrong with my goal ?
  • Bethanyannmariah
    Options
    I've lost 39 of the 45 lbs I set out to lose, and at this point the last 6 lbs don't matter as much as getting my body fat % to where I want it to be. I've never had an MFP daily calorie goal less than 1500, and with exercise I've eaten anywhere from 1700-2200 calories per day. Right now I eat 1900 calories to lose.

It is highly doubtful that you are getting enough of what your body needs with that eating plan, not to mention that you will lose a huge chunk of muscle along with fat by eating so little. You may lose weight but you probably won't be happy with how you look in the mirror.

What, 1300 is to little? Or just what I'm eating? I'm getting plenty of fruit & veg so is it my protein I need to up? I've got some nuts and seeds I'm planning on having as a snack tomorrow, but couldn't believe how high in calories they are!
    I'm basically trying to avoid pasta, bread and general junk because they are the things I used to binge on!
  • kgeyser
    Options

What, 1300 is to little? Or just what I'm eating? I'm getting plenty of fruit & veg so is it my protein I need to up? I've got some nuts and seeds I'm planning on having as a snack tomorrow, but couldn't believe how high in calories they are!
    I'm basically trying to avoid pasta, bread and general junk because they are the things I used to binge on!

Unless you open your diary and give us some stats, I really can't comment on your macro breakdown and whether you are getting enough of anything. I do know that only eating 400 calories is not good, even if you do snack in the evenings. Of course, if you aren't weighing, measuring, and logging your food, the whole conversation is moot anyway because it's impossible to determine how much you are eating.
  • Shell521
    Shell521 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In one year I went from 153lbs to 112lbs, so 41lbs, then in the span of two years I gained it all back PLUS 20 more. I started working out and eating better just a few weeks ago on Sept 2, after a trip to the dr, who was concerned with my weight as much as I was, and since then I have lost 9lbs. I Have a LONG way to go lol but for me, the first time, it took a year to lose 41lbs. You probably can lose anywhere between 30-50lbs before your wedding. Congrats and good luck!
  • Bethanyannmariah
    Options
    How do I open my diary?
    Typical day is:
    Breakfast 1 egg, wholemeal toast (1 slice) and tomatoes OR fresh fruit with fat free natural yogurt.
    Lunch: homemade vegetable soup (just loads of veg with stock and herbs)
    Dinner: homemade vegetable soup (with different veggies)
    Snacks: fresh fruit, or handful of nuts (but I tend to forget to snack during the day) I always have a lot of calories left in the evening so I drink low cal hot drinks/ packet soups or if I've eaten far too little that day a low cal dessert (170 cals).
    In all honesty, apart from the weekends when I go on very long walks so eat back my calories and eat out for lunch that's what I eat.
    Will my body go into starvation mode even being so overweight? Do I prevent this by staying at 1200+ cals
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Too broad a question. Everyone has taken a different approach, therefore, you will get as many answers. What you want to know is how much can YOU lose. Everything being optimal; appropriate calorie restrictions, best food choices 80% of the time, an exercise routine for additional calorie reduction, but moreover, to change body composition, you could lose 10-15lbs per month healthfully.

Try the calculators on www.IIFYM.com to find you BMR, and TDEE and discover the Macros you should stick within.

Next educate yourself on heavy lifting, HIITs, Plyos, etc. for best results in the exercise area.

Last, learn to live by the 80/20 rules. You'll be happier, therefore should end in the best results
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am male and older than you, but lost ~75 lbs the first year. BF% went from 40 to 22%. Most of that time on 1800 calories without exercise, 1200 for the first 3 months.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

[/quo

It's actually 90 lbs . :D Why ? What's it to you ? Something wrong with my goal ?

Nope not at all....
  • kgeyser
    Options
    How do I open my diary?
    Typical day is:
    Breakfast 1 egg, wholemeal toast (1 slice) and tomatoes OR fresh fruit with fat free natural yogurt.
    Lunch: homemade vegetable soup (just loads of veg with stock and herbs)
    Dinner: homemade vegetable soup (with different veggies)
    Snacks: fresh fruit, or handful of nuts (but I tend to forget to snack during the day) I always have a lot of calories left in the evening so I drink low cal hot drinks/ packet soups or if I've eaten far too little that day a low cal dessert (170 cals).
    In all honesty, apart from the weekends when I go on very long walks so eat back my calories and eat out for lunch that's what I eat.
    Will my body go into starvation mode even being so overweight? Do I prevent this by staying at 1200+ cals

Under diary, go into Settings and you'll see the option at the bottom of the page to make your diary public.
  • Flookbird
    Flookbird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've lost just over 5st since January and gone from a size 20 to a 12. I accredit much of that to Weight Watchers! I found it really easy to follow, initially online and then at meetings to get the extra push to 'gold' membership. Now I'm maintaining. I've lost weight before but from reading the forums on the WW website and here I've learnt loads so hoping this will be the last time.

I know people on here say why pay when MFP is free, but I have a lot more confidence in WW than I do in MFP for that initial weight loss stage. MFP us proving good for me for maintenance though.

WW taught me about how much of what foods I could eat in a very simple way - counting calories on here is much harder IMO.

As for exercise, I started off getting a dog! I was just walking him for the first few months. After 6 months I got a fitbit and started monitoring my activity and trying to increase it gradually and that's worked really well. Now I'm on to maintaining, I've started swimming most mornings and that is helping to maintain my weight while eating more and changing my body shape. But I lost lots without any vigorous exercise. Bear in mind that as long as you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose. WW helps you do that gradually without much exercise. The smaller you get, the less calories you'll burn, so the more you'll need to exercise. My advice is to be active in a way you enjoy - if you go straight into slogging at the gym then - a. You'll lose weight easily just by eating less for now and b. You'll end up resenting it and stop.

Good luck with your journey - you can do it!
  • Flookbird
    Flookbird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ps re starvation mode - there are lots of posts on here on this but it's on the whole a myth. You won't stop losing or gain overall on a calorie deficit. But you will stop your body getting what it needs if you eat too little. You can still lose on more calories than 1200. When I started WW I was 15st 11lbs and had 33 daily points, plus free fruit/veg , plus 49 weekly points which equalled around 1800 cals a day. I was losing 8-10lbs sticking to that. Hope that helps.
  • Bethanyannmariah
    Options
    Ps re starvation mode - there are lots of posts on here on this but it's on the whole a myth. You won't stop losing or gain overall on a calorie deficit. But you will stop your body getting what it needs if you eat too little. You can still lose on more calories than 1200. When I started WW I was 15st 11lbs and had 33 daily points, plus free fruit/veg , plus 49 weekly points which equalled around 1800 cals a day. I was losing 8-10lbs sticking to that. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the great advice! And congrats on your weight loss, feeling inspired! :)