How do you breathe when doing cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Uhh... just breathe. It's one of the few things our body does that we don't have to think or worry about. Unless you're dead. Or Richard Cheney. Or Bane.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I take deep, slow breaths through my nose, otherwise I don't seem to get enough oxygen. If I don't focus on my breathing I tend to forget to breathe (how weird is that) or take too shallow of breaths and get a headache. I had to mouth-breathe during my last run due to allergies plugging my nose, and I found it unpleasant. Not to mention that I almost ate a few bugs. Whatever feels the best to you I think.

edited for spelling
  • ThatOneNerdyChick
    Options
    I use both nose and mouth. Today I am all stuffed up nose-wise, so it was mostly mouth breathing (I hate having a cold) The trick for me is to make sure I am completely breathing in, called diaphragmatic breathing, and completely breathing out. Taking short and quick breaths can very easily trigger hyperventilating for me, so I have to be very mindful that I am breathing fully.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Rapidly. :laugh:

Seriously though, I am unaware of any "proper" technique. I do try to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth as much as possible because that coincides with breathing patterns for weight lifting (in while relaxing the muscle out during the lift) so I figure if it's good enough when pumping iron it will probably work when hitting the aphalt.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I am a mouth breather. I have long believed that my nostrils are way too fricking tiny to draw in enough oxygen for me to survive on, unless I'm standing/sitting and not moving much.

For 'easier' cardio (not going 100%) I keep my teeth closed but mouth slightly open. For heavier cardio I have no problems with my mouth being wide open. I try to breathe deeply and slowly, instead of shallow and fast.

Me too!! I can breathe fine through my nose just sitting here typing on the computer but there is no way I can get enough oxygen when exercising. It sucks sometimes because my throat gets dry and I have to bring water with me in the really hot months.

The only time I have to concentrate on breathing patterns is when I'm running and then I do 2 or 3 "short breaths" timed with my footfalls. It also helps me keep my running pace even as going to fast doesn't allow me to breath as evenly.
  • lh1990
    lh1990 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    slow and steady when possible, but the trick is in controlled breathing. Take full breathe if you can, also in the nose out the mouth, esp when it's cold outside. But whatever works for you :)
  • Skylarfit181
    Options
    One does not simply breath through one's nose when the heart rate is up to 160 +, not to mention when it gets really close to your max -.- Simply not possible. When I take a break (e.g. during HIIT), I rise my arms behind my head and take deep breaths through the mouth. This fills the lungs with oxygen a bit faster.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    When I run and get out of breath, I focus on breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth, slowly.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    My cardio is on the rower and thats one or two breaths in at the recovery and breathe out during the drive.
    Mouth im afraid. Helps with the rythm.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Your body is designed to inhale through the nose and out through the mouth, but do what works for you as everyone is different and working in different environments.

Nose hairs are the bodies first line of defense in catching foreign material - a natural filter screening allergens.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat. Just breathe

Yep, this ^^.

Or else you'll pass out. :sick:
  • Apothys28
    Apothys28 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I learned at a young age from a Soccer coach to breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. This helps to prevent cramps. which I believe to be true. When I'm running and I feel a cramp coming on I take deeper inhales through the nose and after a minute or so the cramp goes away.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    this-exercise-video-will-take-yo.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    this-exercise-video-will-take-yo.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

TOTALLY bought this book and did these moronic exercises back in the 90s.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I breathe in and out through both my mouth and nose when I'm doing most cardio. I breathe as slow and steadily as I can. I mainly run, so I focus on keeping it even: breathe in for 4 paces, out for 4 paces.

Pilates and yoga usually have specific breathing patterns with the exercises.

I breather in and out of my mouth and nose at the same time when I'm running....I have no idea how many paces I take, but I do try to keep the breaths slow and deep.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm worried about people who don't know how to breathe while doing cardio....like how are they gonna sustain a marriage and the special breathing tactics that are involved in that?
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    In through the nose and mouth out through the mouth. I thought everyone knew that.
  • Skylarfit181
    Options
    During intense cardio? I'd like to see that :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    What is the correct way to breathe while doing intense cardio?
    Do you breathe through your nose, or do you breathe through your mouth?
    Also, I know that certain activities like yoga, lays specific importance on breathing patterns. Is there any such pattern i need to follow while doing cardio?

Thanks !!
    The correct way is what works for you. I normally don't even think about it. Maybe you're over thinking a little
    ^^ my thoughts.

when running, i think i mouth breathe. but i'm not sure, as i don't pay attention and just zone out. whatever i do it's very natural and gets me the oxygen i need.

in yoga, in and out through my nose. that actually took some time to get used to and for it to feel natural. but, having been practicing yoga for years now it's pretty natural in class, and can actually have a calming effect on me.
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Very hard if I'm doing it right, :bigsmile:

I do notice that when I start off I seem to breath heavier than after I have been doing it for a while. I take lots of deep breaths as I'm getting going.