Do any of you feel guilty on cheat days?

Options
13»

Replies

• gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I eat more on Sunday's, I used to feel bad until I realised it didn't appear to impact on my weight. So I will continue to eat more on Sunday's - guilt free. If it doesn't affect your objective then why not?
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days anymore. I found that if I keep my regular diet at 80/20 then I don't need a cheat day. On the rare occasion that I go out to eat at a restaurant, I simply log it and move on. Usually I'll not eat or only eat a light snack the rest of the day because I know I'll be eating a lot of calories at the restaurant.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, sometimes I spank myself

That's more fun if you have someone else do it for you.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Since I'm changing my lifestyle and not dieting, there really is no such thing as a cheat day. I eat as healthy as possible and if I don't make good choices one day I don't feel guilty about it. I just try to do better. By striving to change my lifestyle I will already be accustomed to eating healthy so when I reach my goal there will be no going "off" the diet. I'll continue to eat the same as I always have. I don't know if I like the word "cheat". Indulgence may be a better term.

^^this
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    no guilt here. I have a cheat meal just about everyday! sometimes twice a day!
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Only if i got super over the top but my cheat days barely effect me most times. I figure as long as i didn't gain i'm good. Mind you i'm stuck holding steady at th emoment.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I do, only when it's more than one meal or one day. I think I'm over the guilt and try to just enjoy what I'm eating.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If you really can't get over the guilt, maybe try calling it something positive like a re-feed day.

You're in control of how you talk to yourself and your own feelings. You don't have to feel guilty about eating. That's counterproductive, in my opinion.

This.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When I feel guilty I usually find that having some Ice Cream makes me feel better.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    YES! This. I basically eat what I want when I want in moderation; 80/20 like you say. This is what I do and I like not having to assign it all to one meal/one day out of the week, I think this makes the most sense.
    I don't do cheat days anymore. I found that if I keep my regular diet at 80/20 then I don't need a cheat day. On the rare occasion that I go out to eat at a restaurant, I simply log it and move on. Usually I'll not eat or only eat a light snack the rest of the day because I know I'll be eating a lot of calories at the restaurant.
  • ballardf
    ballardf Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi. As a diabetic even my "cheat meals" have to be closely monitored. I will say since joining MFP my glucose levels are the lowest they've been in 7 years and I don't take insulin. I tried the whole "cheat" thing and it's just not something I can handle yet.
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days, ive had 7 in a row! BAD
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat." I either save up calories before a higher-calorie day or I eat less for a few days afterwards. I usually have a day where I eat around maintenance every week and the deficit I create on the other days takes care of it. I also try to build in room for foods I love every day, just smaller portions of them than I might want. I make sure I hit my macros, and then the leftover calories are mine to do with what I want.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If it's planned, it's not really a "cheat day" is it?. Not a fan of the words, for all the reasons mentioned.

I just log everything I eat and ten evaluate where I stand as far as my calories are concerned. I average my calories out over a few days or a week, and any "setback" is really minimized, or eliminated.

And really, on those occasions that I just blow through my calories for the day, I almost always end up eating right around my maintenance calories. So really it's not a cheat day, it's a "pause" day. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

But I'm not a fan the every Friday is a cheat day, or whatever. I like to stay flexible.

But feeling guilty? For enjoying a good meal and a couple drinks? Nope never.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Dear OP - I think we'd need to know a little more about your background in terms of your relationship to food in order to best answer this question... For example, do you generally feel guilty about eating? Do you obsess over particular foods or food behaviors? Do you restrict and binge and feel shame over that?

When people have an unhealthy relationship to food in the first place, the concept of "cheating" or "over-indulging" can really take them over the edge. If you already felt bad about eating as is was, or if you binged a lot and felt shame from that, then "purposeful overeating" can be counterproductive.

When I lost my weight, I never did cheat days because I'd already had a severe problem with overeating most of my life. I was working very hard to learn the lesson of eating in moderation, and the thought of overeating even one day a week kind of "triggered" me back into wanting to overindulge, if that makes sense. The act of overeating, period, was such a familiar feeling to me (and not in a good way), that even doing one day "every now and again" produced a strong desire to return to my old ways of being out of control. So I decided it was not for me.

I worked very hard to untangle my eating dysfunctions and I'm happy to report that now, on maintenance, I do let myself have a "moderate" cheat day, lol. (Sounds boring, I know). I might eat 400-600 calories over, but I at least keep the tally in the back of my mind so that I don't go absolutely bonkers. But again...I'm guarding against the *feeling* of being out of control and counting the calories just helps me keep that feeling in check.

My guess is that if you are feeling guilty about a cheat day, then there is probably something going on underneath that points to some deeper issues you have with shame and eating dysfunction. If I were you, I'd look into that, either through talk therapy, books, or a 12-step group of some sort. Hope that helps.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's why I don't do it any more! If I want something, I exercise a bit more for it (or at least for part of it) or eat less of it to fit into my day. I've realized a few bites has the same effect as a huge amount of whatever it is I want.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Nope, no guilt for me. I try to make sure every day is a delicious food day. Pastries, pie, ice cream, pizza, hot wings, etc. I can make ALL of it work if I really want to. I remember turning down a dounut at work one day and my friend was like "good for you! You can't eat that. Way to stick to your diet!" Ummm no. Right now just isn't the time for a donut. Doesnt mean I'm living off of lettuce and flogging myself if I even glance at butter for the rest of my life.
    I had pizza yesterday, and will have pizza again today. There may be the random days where I eat over my calorie goal but I probably just land at maintenance if anything. Which for me is 1,900. It's my birthday tomorrow and between food and booze I'll probably be around 3,000 cals on Sat and 2,000-3,000 cals on Sunday. It's my birthday weekend so I refuse to even blink an eye at those numbers. I will just have to dance my butt off for 4 hours :D