Discouraged, disgusted and don't know where to start

Options
It's taken a lot for me to even post this, but I'm so discouraged and disgusted with myself. I don't even know where to begin.
I pretty much let myself go, I stopped caring about what I ate, my new boyfriends eating habits have rubbed off on me and because of that I've gained almost 20lbs in the last year. I have problems with self control I have a hard time staying motivated with eating healthy and exercising a few times a week.
Clothes aren't fitting like they used to I hate the way my body looks in the mirror or in photos. I feel so unattractive. I've always been a little more on the heavy side but I was always healthy I was thick curvy and I loved my body. This summer I didn't even go to the beach. I've lost some confidence And I don't know where to start with any of this or how to make myself stay on track

Replies

• bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Same issue here with my husbands eating habits. I was doing fairly well and just gave up. I have previously lost 100 lbs before and am going on that journey again. Feel free to add me. Don't be discouraged or disgusted it happens and you can get through it!
  • JenR_
    JenR_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We all start somewhere, and you can start today :) When I started, I complained the entire first week about logging my food, but I stuck with it and once the results started coming, it helped with motivation. Just take things one day at a time, and know that you're not going to be perfect, but you're learing along the way and you'll get stronger and healthier as you keep going. And know that you're doing this for you - never forget that you're worth it. You can totally do this :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, YOU are responsible for yourself, therefore you need to decide YOU want this. Second, eat at a deficit = lose weight. Third and most important, give yourself a break.
  • oviedojen
    Options
    I believe just wanting to start is taking the first step to changing your life! Ask yourself - What are your fitness goals? Do you want to lose 20 pounds by Christmas? Are you looking for a workout routine that fits your lifestyle? Do you need guidance with eating, portion control and healthy recipes? I think by defining your goals will give you a clearer point of where to start. As JenR says below, once you start and you begin seeing results, there's your motivation right there!

I was in your shoes! My husband was 70 pounds overweight and because I wanted to lose 20 pounds he got on board too. Our eating habits were awful. He was a fast food junkie. I never cooked because we didn't live together. We ate out a lot, ordered pizza, drank soda and at a lot of frozen dinners. But, we loved fitness and sports. We had just become stuck! Our motivation was our wedding. He lost 50 pounds and I lost the 20 pounds! GREAT! Then we got married and I gained 10 back and he stayed the same. I had lost confidence again and he had just pooped out. So, I like you woke up one day depressed and unhappy when I looked in the mirror. So we started our fitness and health journey again! Just like that! And we are seeing results again and that motivates us!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Start by logging what you eat, setting a realistic goal for calorie intake, and every once a while, read the message you posted to remind yourself why you are doing this.