3-6pm Hunger Attack

Options
I've found that from 3-6pm everyday I am starving and could probably eat non-stop. I've had this huge hunger urge at this time frame for as long as I can remember. I eat breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, and dinner. Its just so hard during that time period to feel full. Just wondering if others have this or any recommendations on more filling snacks. I usually go for some fruit or a 100 calorie type of bar.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Could you open your diary to see what you're eating? I find that with some foods, I don't feel satisfied for more than a couple of hours.
  • loram11
    loram11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hit that same craving at 3:00 too. I usually have an apple and a 100-calorie Smartpop popcorn. Fills me up, healthy and is very satisfying.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    100 calorie Greek yogurt.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary. You are undereating by quite a bit.
    This is why you're starving.
    Eat a lot more.
  • Targetx130
    Targetx130 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do you think I should eat more for lunch and the 'afternoon snack' and this may help subside that 3 hour a bit?
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter where you put them, just eat more calories. maybe try tacking on 100 to each meal.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Do you think I should eat more for lunch and the 'afternoon snack' and this may help subside that 3 hour a bit?

You need to eat more in general. You're hungry because you're not eating enough. I'm guessing you're probably feeling tired and groggy that time of day, as well.

It would be wise to figure out how much you really should be eating for your size and lifestyle. Start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1
  • dawnmitchell6766
    dawnmitchell6766 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Just looking at your diary, it looks like you're eating a lot of processed food (especially in the morning). I would try increasing your protein - it will help your blood sugar levels, and because it takes longer to digest you will feel fuller longer. And, if you are accurate with your logging, I would agree that you aren't eating enough calories.

Some snack ideas for extra protein - lunch meat, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt.

Hope that helps. I know I get huge cravings at 4pm when I get home from work and my kids get home from school and they are snacking. (back away from the goldfish crackers! lol)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I suffer from the 3-6pm Nap Attack. :yawn:
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You eat as much in a day as I eat at breakfast. EAT MORE!

Try almonds....eat peanut butter with your apple slices, trail mix....eat some cheese.
  • Targetx130
    Options
    I'll work on adding more into my daily intake and see how that goes.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Same struggle here. So yesterday, I decided to try splitting my lunch; eat half at lunchtime and the other half with my afternoon snack. It sure worked quite well so I did it again today. As I write this at 5:16pm, I'm still feeling really full. I'm thinking about adjusting the 50% split until I do feel a little hunger when dinner is served. Maybe this kinda thing will help you too!
  • taryninoly
    taryninoly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too sometimes IF I don't eat enough protein at breakfast. Try an egg over toast with coffee or 2 eggs with a little feta (no toast). I try to keep my breakfast in the 300 cal range. That usually sets my day off to a good start - I am able to make better food choices throughout the day.
  • Targetx130
    Options
    Both great ideas with the splitting of lunch and a bigger breakfast. During the week I usually grab a banana or a cup of grapes to eat on the drive in.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Both great ideas with the splitting of lunch and a bigger breakfast. During the week I usually grab a banana or a cup of grapes to eat on the drive in.
    Have your banana with 32 grams of peanut butter. :love:

Really though, I used to stick to 1200 and couldn't figure out why I was always dragging and hungry. Then someone had the "you're not eating enough" discussion with me. It changed my life.
  • cylence82
    Options
    I think most people with a normal daytime schedule get that hunger around 3pm. You should eat something more filling earlier in the day to keep that hunger at a minimum, and do not go crazy snacking. A little will go along way if the rest of your diet is adequate. I usually go for fruit, almonds, or a protein bar for that 3pm attack.