124»

Replies

• KrazyKenny1967
    Options
    Northern suburbs, my home place!!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Do it the same way you'd do it anywhere else. The worst thing that's likely to happen is you'll be brushed off or given a dirty look. So what? The same thing could happen to you on the street.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend trying to talk to someone while that person was in the middle of reps or something along those lines, but I'd wager you know better than that anyway.

Disclaimer: I am generally not so busy that I'm incapable of stopping and answering a "hello" while at the gym, so maybe my opinion means a little less.
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    I met someone I wanted to be friends with at the gym. My problem is me and my hubby had just finished working out, and I had "Graduated from Meathead academy". Yeah, so I have no idea what her name is, or even what she really looked like because I was so thoroughly exhausted. When I am 75% done, turns out I can't write, or remember basic things, besides walking (mostly) straight.

So I would maybe throw that in for your consideration. :flowerforyou:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I find that I talk to people mostly in the locker room (I guess by people...I mean women).

It's easier to talk there, b/c you aren't disturbing people who are trying to workout. I've talked to strangers from everything about their workouts. my workouts, clothes, make-up, the showers,the scale...etc.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Might I say that if someone decides to take offense because you said Hi to them at the gym they are not a person worth knowing.

Feel free to say HI to whomever you choose. If somebody acts like HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME? I very much doubt they are of value as a human being or a friend and if you ever DID have the misfortune to get into a conversation with them their vanity and nastiness would bore you in a very few minutes.

Although accidentally interacting with a nasty person is unpleasant, just remember: Nasty people tend to be miserable and unsuccessful in every aspect of their lives. That's why they are so nasty.

Just be yourself, feel confident that eventually you will find YOUR people even in Chicago! And reach out. If some individuals do not respond properly, that is THEIR problem.
  • SusuAtta22
    SusuAtta22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would think that the best way to make friends at a gym would be to join one of the fitness classes if they offer them. Those groups tend to be the most social at any gym I've been to. Otherwise people only really seem to talk to the people they come with, so maybe you can get a friend or coworker to start joining you up at the gym. Personally, I like to workout solo and know there are others like me, so don't be too discouraged if some people don't seem receptive to you.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Gym-GIFS.gif
    I laughed way too hard at this :laugh:
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    God I love stirring the pot.. It sure makes these message boards a lot more exciting. To my point, I am not talking about a full on conversation like we are having coffee at Starbucks together but at the gym.

For instance I was wearing a Milwaukee Tools teeshirt to the gym and a pretty girl asked me "Hey are you from Milwaukee?" and we talked for literally 2 minutes (No I am not from Milwaukee in case anyone really cares, it just happen to be a shirt I was wearing) But I thought it was nice for her to just be friendly and break the ice where speaking to a stranger at the gym is sometimes frowned upon. I am an open book feel free to talk to me, but like I said this isn't Starbucks so make it brief and friendly and I will gladly accept your kindness.

But if you dont have time to appreciate nice gestures like that, I feel sorry for you. Make time in your day to appreciate!
    I agree with this! If I did approach someone, it would only be for a short 30 second or 1 minute conversation. Like I said, I am from Michigan and went to Michigan State, so by default I have a lot of MSU tshirts and hoodies that I wear to the gym. I've had conversations with people about football/basketball, since everyone's either a Northwestern or Wisconsin fan around here.

That's, in all honesty, probably my best bet at conversation starters right now.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Might I say that if someone decides to take offense because you said Hi to them at the gym they are not a person worth knowing.

Feel free to say HI to whomever you choose. If somebody acts like HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME? I very much doubt they are of value as a human being or a friend and if you ever DID have the misfortune to get into a conversation with them their vanity and nastiness would bore you in a very few minutes.

Although accidentally interacting with a nasty person is unpleasant, just remember: Nasty people tend to be miserable and unsuccessful in every aspect of their lives. That's why they are so nasty.

Just be yourself, feel confident that eventually you will find YOUR people even in Chicago! And reach out. If some individuals do not respond properly, that is THEIR problem.

^^this -- go for it, OP.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I think it'd be easier to go elsewhere and make friends. I mean, whenever I'm at a gym most people keep to themselves. They have music playing on their ipod, they're busy working out. They didn't come to the gym to socialize... I'm not saying you won't find friends at the gym, but don't expect too much.
    You could try to catch a convo with someone leaving the gym :)

Try local group activities like a dance class. :) Good luck on making new friends in your city