Ultimate weight loss calculator

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I think this is an excellent tool.....:bigsmile:

That being said, 128 has never in my experience been the standard weight for 64"....120 has been. Also, someone with a small frame should weigh less than one with a large frame at the same height. Can you adjust for this? :flowerforyou:

For me, I was at my best shape at 115. That is low for some folks, but when measured against 128, there is a 13 lb -> 2 to 3 size in clothing - difference. :frown:

At 120, I would look gaunt and I'm 5'4.

That's the problem with the tool - there's no one size fits all ideal weight for people.
  • 141622j
    141622j Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey @Paige682, @DMRinehardt

Thanks for the feedback! A couple other people have said the same, so what I'm going to do is change it so that it'll give a range of weights e.g. "Your ideal weight is 120lbs to 140lbs" so that it's less prescriptive. I'm also planning on putting something in so you can specify your frame size, (small/medium/large) so that the ideal weight & calorie recommendations will be a bit more accurate - I just have to figure out the maths for it! I will post when it's updated in a few days.

Really appreciate you guys taking the time to check this out and tell me what you think. This is kind of a fun project for me to practice my coding, but I'm really happy that people are finding it useful. Thanks!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    To calculate the zig zag, make sure you have entered your Intended Calorie Intake Per Day in the Weight Loss Goals section at the top.

Or it could be that I have just been making a couple of changes under the hood, so just try again :)

Got it! It works now. (I guess I should read instructions, eh?) Thanks! :)
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Nice to see a girl techie for a change. Make sure you have some copyright/patent protection for your design. Would be a damn shame to lose this calculator to a pirate-techie.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for checking it out! I am still trying to figure out the best way to give a metric conversion option, but it is on my to-do list. Are there any other features/calculations that you'd find useful?
    LBM loss over time while weight is reduced.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Really, really like this calculator very useful ????????
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Love it! Definitely getting bookmarked!! Thumbs way up.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for checking it out! I am still trying to figure out the best way to give a metric conversion option, but it is on my to-do list. Are there any other features/calculations that you'd find useful?
    LBM loss over time while weight is reduced.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

LBM or BF as a matter of fact?!
    Would be a good option / info however conditional to how much you are on track with your macros and nutrition / activity levels IMO - hence let's say a bit more "advanced" than standard info provided.
  • iamdee28
    iamdee28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome calculator! Cant wait for the metric version. I would love it if we could somehow put in exactly how many calories we burn per week too to help with accuracy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    That's really awesome.

I like how you can put in any number, too.

"To reach your goal in 90 days, you will need to eat -130 calories a day." LOVE IT!

Very cool. :)
  • dizzysmile
    dizzysmile Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is great, thanks!! :D
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    thank you for this! It says I am actually underweight!
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Hated it. When I entered my stats, it said "One person at a time please".
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi

I really like it and it seems accurate in comparison to other stats in my head

However constructive criticism

I really dislike the your ideal weight part. ...that's misleading and in my view dangerous ...an ideal weight is a range and must take in different body types,musculature etc ...your calculator says my ideal weight is 20lbs lower Thani would ever feel comfortable ...I am fit and strong ...my ideal weight is absolutely not a BMI of 22... I would look ill

You need to change this to a healthy range
  • MrsJuli4B
    MrsJuli4B Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love this, I'm a big fan of calculators and numbers.
  • lolly715
    Options
    I think you need to work on your minimum thresholds. It gave me a calorie requirement of under 1200 (I'm short) which is widely considered the lowest you should go on a regular basis. This was just the "lose 2lbs per week" setting, not even setting an unrealistic target. But right now, it's very easy to have it come up with some unhealthy/dangerous calorie goals.

It's a good start though.
  • 141622j
    141622j Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @rabbitjb

I just picked a BMI of 22 because (in theory) it's right in the middle of the healthy range - but I appreciate what you're saying about different body types etc, so I'm in the process of figuring out how to change it to a weight range :) Thanks for the feedback!

@lolly715

I understand what you mean,but I'm unwilling to put a minimum threshold on there because, well, that's just the maths, and I think it's interesting to see things hypothetically. But I don't want people to run off and eat dangerously little, based on the calculator.. i'm not sure. I think I will just put a note on there, explaining that it's generally accepted that very low calorie intakes aren't great long term.
  • jaebennetti
    jaebennetti Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    excellent!!