Excited but scared

Options
Hello there! My name is Eric. I came across this website and thought it might help to find people that have similar struggles and weight loss goals. :) I'm 47 and weigh 380 pounds. My goal weight is 250 pounds. losing 130 pounds is overwhelming to me right now, so I'm going to try and concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other and avoid thinking of the total weigh loss goal. I'm a emotional eater and food has been my best friend, comforting, stress relief, fighting boredom etc. My weight loss journey starts now. (Deep breath). :)

Replies

• jeep2961
    jeep2961 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Major change is always scary in the beginning, but taking that first step can be empowering, sounds like you have the right attitude of one step at a time. Take a look at the success story blogs, a lot of people started right where you are now and reached their goals just that one step at a time :-) You took the first step, the most important one to take, wishing you the best of luck on your journey !!
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck with this, your first step.
    I found logging everything I eat is the only way I stay in control. It's a pain sometimes but if you don't, and you're like me, you'll find yourself forgetting that little bit of bread and butter , or small innocent looking bar of chocolate and then wonder why you're not losing.
    Add me as a friend if you like and let us know how you're getting on.
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Good for you Eric! Hopefully, like the rest of us, you'll find this site and the people here really supportive. Good luck! You can do this :happy:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi Eric, I started at 333 pounds and you'll be amazed at how quickly the time passes. As you say one day at a time. A couple of links that may help you Good Luck and just concentrate on the big picture and the Doohickey will take care of itself

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have the right attitude. Just concentrate on getting things right 1 day at a time. And, most importantly, on picking yourself up after you screw up and continuing. You will be amazed at where you find yourself a year from now!
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Welcome and congrats to you for making the first step to being healthy. Five big things helped me. One, to log everything in your food diary (everything). Two - having a great group of friends on MFP (we encourage each other along the way). Three - drink WATER. It helps get rid of water retention and sodium your body is holding. Four - getting a digital scale. My old scale was so inaccurate. My digital scale was only $25 and weighs up to 450 lbs. I got it at the drugstore. So, a half decent one is not necessarily expensive. Five - try to stick within your daily calorie allowance. Welcome to MFP. You can do it :). And like you, I take things one day at a time and if I do overeat on a day, I know there's always tomorrow (a new day). Take care :)
  • RollTideLisa
    Options
    Good luck with your journey, and congratulations on taking a first step!! My motto is 1 pound at a time, don't mind the bigger numbers so much, or they can be overwhelming! Lose one pound, repeat...You are more than welcome to add me if you like, I will always try to be supportive. Good luck!!
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts about logging every bite that passes your lips. I also recommend buying a digital food scale (they are less than $20.00) because it will subtract the weight of your dish so you only weigh your food. It is so much easier to log in the ounces or grams rather than try to guess if that potato or piece of fruit equals one cup.

You don't have to change everything today. If you eat 4 doughnuts everyday and cut back to 2 doughnuts - that is progress in the right direction. If you have to eat 2 doughnuts everyday for the next month before you can cut back to 1...still progress. It takes a lot of years of some pretty bad habits to gain a lot of weight (I know) and trying to change them all at once is too overwhelming for most people. So my point here is that baby steps are just fine. Would you consider logging your food for a week or two before you even start to restrict your calories? That way you can get a visual of what exactly you are doing, and once you have the information you can make a plan that will work for you.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hello there! My name is Eric. I came across this website and thought it might help to find people that have similar struggles and weight loss goals. :) I'm 47 and weigh 380 pounds. My goal weight is 250 pounds. losing 130 pounds is overwhelming to me right now, so I'm going to try and concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other and avoid thinking of the total weigh loss goal. I'm a emotional eater and food has been my best friend, comforting, stress relief, fighting boredom etc. My weight loss journey starts now. (Deep breath). :)

I am going to guess I was close to your weight when I started. I did not own a scale at the time but was a 54" waist. I was not on MFP but managed to lose enough on my own to get motivated. I joined MFP and about 2 weeks in of logging my food went to the local department store and stepped on a scale to see I was 306 lbs and about a 46" waist, maybe closer to a 48" not sure 100%. I have been on MFP 165 days now, lost 71lbs (now 236) since stepping on that scale and am a 37" waist.

I share this not to beat my own chest but to show you that the numbers today mean nothing. Do more today than you did yesterday and when you wake up in the morning ask yourself "am I going to undo the good I did yesterday". It will come off. Everyone is different and different things work for different people. Find what is working for you and stick with it. I was an emotional eater to. I guess I still am except now I recognize it and avoid the triggers that I know of.

Please feel free to add me,
  • katiedoo82
    katiedoo82 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    best of luck in your journey!! you certainly seem to be in the right frame of mind and have the right attitude :0) your heading excited but scared somes up the start of every morning! excited at the new day ahead but scared I wont succeed in eating healthy etc. But every day is a new beginning. Good luck in your journey... .you can do this! :wink:

p.s. don't get overwhelmed by the 130.... set small goals.... and do something nice when you hit those goals -- non food related treats... and it makes the journey all the more worthwhile.....

:happy: