Weight Loss Plateau help - found this 'help' online

Options
2»

Replies

• Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I broke a plateau by taking a 3 week total diet break. Ate at TDEE for a while. I think a prolonged deficit slowed my metabolism. When I returned to deficit the scale started moving again, albeit slowly.

I've been reading around the subject and have read similar advice. I think there was a study done where one group were put on a diet for a period of time (a month?), and then allowed to eat 'normally' for a couple of weeks. This pattern continued for the period of the study. At the end of the study this group had outperformed the control group which had dieted throughout. I'm not sure about the science of it but it sounds plausible to me.

I have struggled to get below 150lb for the last five years. I am now trying to get to this level again and then eat at maintenance calories for a while to see if it makes a difference.
  • Esco5556
    Esco5556 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's my opinion that one can't plateau. If you are at a calorie deficit than you will lose either weight or inches. We put so much emphasis on a scale that we often forget that we can loose 5 lbs of fat and the scale won't move. At the first sign of a plateau i start to take measurements. I measure everything because I don't know where it's comming off. It's a great motivator.
  • dopeylove21
    Options
    Over the last 3 weeks my weight seems to not be changing. I have actually double my time on the treadmill as well as added an incline. I did not lower my calories since I am only eating 1200 already. Nothing seems to be working for me either. At first it seemed as thoughmy clothes were still getting baggy, but not so much now:(
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating when weight stalls but I always found changing my workouts helped a lot, going back to circuit training always seems to kick start a loss again. ..also being more careful with what kind of calories I'm consuming ie I cut back on refined carbs a bit more.
    The best advice I can give you is don't give up ☺