Ultimate weight loss calculator

Options

Replies

• shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    That's great. I would be so proud of myself if I accomplished that...I'm not too tech savy.

Thanks for sharing:)
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    Love it! Have bookmarked. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • walker306
    walker306 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yep…bookmarked this one too! very nice!
  • Targetx130
    Targetx130 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Very cool calculator!
  • 141622j
    141622j Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    UPDATE! Ok, so now it has:

Extended 7 day zig-zag calculator

5:2 Diet calculator (i.e. with 5 high cal and 2 low cal days, based on your calorie needs)

A function that enables you to put in a goal weight (or your desired weight loss in lbs) and your intended daily calorie intake, to show you how many days it will take to reach your goal

Descriptions of the activity level options, to make it clear what category (sedentary, lightly active, etc etc) you best fit in.

Ideal weight range, rather than one number.

A ‘clear’ button to delete all input to start over.

Still working on a metric version! Thank you so much for all the lovely comments!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    How are your deriving your BMR and TDEE figures? My average BMR is 1479 (based on an average of 5 online BMR calculators) and average TDEE (sedentary) is 1775. Your calculator indicates a BMR of 1203 and TDEE of 1444 - a good 20% variance.
  • arljduke
    arljduke Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great idea! The only thing is, I entered sedentary and no goal. Your program said to lose 2 pounds per week I'd have to eat 705 calories/day. That seems awfully low. I'm 5'4". ???
  • 141622j
    141622j Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey @arljduke

Looks about right to me, unfortunately. To lose 2 lbs a week, you need to create a deficit of 7000 calories a week. (1lb of fat = 3500 calories.

So you have to burn 1000 more calories than you consume every day. Which is tough if you're short-ish and sedentary (like me!). I feel your pain :)

Hi @Calliope610,

My BMR formula is the standard Harris–Benedict equation

FOR MEN: (6.25* w) + (12.7*h) - (6.76*a) + 66,
    FOR WOMEN: (4.35*w) + (4.7*h) - (4.68*a) + 655

and then for TDEE multiply by the activity level factor:

"Sedentary" = 1.2
    "Lightly Active" = 1.375
    "Moderately Active" = 1.55
    "Very Active" = 1.725
    "Extremely Active" = 1.9

EDIT: But I was making some changes behind the scenes today, so if you ran the calculation while I was working on it you might have gotten a weird answer - could you try again?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh it's better :D

But on my iPad the ads are pushing the answer boxes out of line so eg feet is on line 2 and inches on line 1
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It looks just like the IIFYM.com calculator, which is my favorite.

Nice job.
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT!!! Perfect!! Gonna bookmark, thank you!
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    it was very helpful to get an idea of what might be possible. Thanks for making it
  • givemewillpower
    Options
    This is incredible!
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It gives me a lower calorie count than IIFYM and MFP give me, so now I'm wondering if I should lower my calories again.
  • Linda_wright75
    Linda_wright75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great tool! Thank You.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I clicked on the help determine my frame size and it took me to the determine your activity page. there was nothing there about frame size.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Looks good! Just one tweak that I found:

When I click on "click here for help picking your frame size", it takes me to the activity level page.
  • carrie_lou
    Options
    I love this! It couldn't come at a better time. I started MFP not ever giving a care as to what I ate or ever counting how much and never knew that there was an issue with how much i ate and have been over weight my whole life. I have recently been told by one of my friends who has been caring enough to watch me complaining each day that I may not be eating enough and that my metabolism may have stalled. Your calculator gives me better numbers (I hope, because I'm always being given a different one) and I can go by a more accurate number to reach a goal to finally look the way society says I should and hopefully feel better about myself. THANK YOU!
    Karen
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Wow The calculator has a wonderful format and interface- Nice Job!

A grammatical comment- I don't like the " very severely "indicator- It doesn't sound good to me. I clipped below from random internet. If you change it; I would assume you verify with reputable sources.

Maybe - morbidly obese ( I know its an awful word) morbidly underweight Or potentially morbid? or even *seek medical attention?

Morbid obesity is a medical term describing people who have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40, or of 35 to 40 with significant medical problems caused by or made worse by their weight. BMI of 40 amounts to approximately 100 pounds above ideal weight.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like it! I left a comment on the page. I was a programmer for many years. If you need help testing changes or debugging I will be glad to be a guinea pig.
    Thanks