Cream of Wheat is crap, right?

Options
So. I did a little research on this yummy breakfast item, and came to the conclusion that it is really just crap on top of crap. It is refined grain to the max-basically like refined white bread. It is not like oatmeal in that it is a simple carb that breaks down to sugar in the body right away vs. oatmeal which is a complex carb and it keeps insulin levels more moderated over time while it is being digested.

So what do people think? Should I get rid of the cream of wheat breakfast kick I've been on or what? I usually make it with water and add about .5 to 1 TBSP. of pure honey to it for sweetness.

Please help!

Cream of Wheat lover.

Replies

• Lucindawinward
    Options
    I don't think so. It is fortified. Think of it as a "flavor" and add some milled flax seed and protein powder along with your favorite fruit. It is a filler, but no worse than other things. It is still pretty natural and if you liek the taste, then think of it as a peice of toase instead of the main part of your meal.
  • sharonmac
    sharonmac Posts: 119
    Options
    I love it too!!! One of my favorites. I dont think you should get rid of it. Eat it once in a while
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Try OAT BRAN or STEEL CUT OATMEAL or reg Oatmeal. if you like the texture like cream of wheat. It is all refined crap your right. Get off it and eat something heathier
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    IMO ~ I think it's disgusting. :bigsmile:
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I LOVE cream of wheat! I don't eat it terribly often, but when I do, it is soooooooooooooooooooo good!
  • Ayre
    Ayre Posts: 15
    Options
    I just had to laugh. The first and last time I tried to eat cream of wheat turned into an "exorcist" like moment. I was about three months pregnant, green as a frog, and absolutely starved. Made it, exited it, and last time I ate it. I know...TMI, but I just had to chuckle. :):laugh:
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oat Bran is a healthier option to Cream of Wheat and the taste is similar. Give it a try, I love it!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    48 grams of carbs is pretty high. How about some eggs and a lean protein meat , so you won't be hungry by 9am?
  • bucky17h
    bucky17h Posts: 120
    Options
    steel cut oatmeal is great and lowers cholesterol if you need that
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Moderation is everything. Just don't have it every day! It's a decent option, probably not worse than toast. It is VERY high in iron.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Oh yea, its crap. It's white goo people often feed to babies. Does it even have any fiber? Any whole grains? If not then toss it. If you like mushy cereals let All-Bran sit for 10 minutes, YUM! Cereal does have sodium but at least All-Bran has fiber and is filling.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I just had to laugh. The first and last time I tried to eat cream of wheat turned into an "exorcist" like moment. I was about three months pregnant, green as a frog, and absolutely starved. Made it, exited it, and last time I ate it. I know...TMI, but I just had to chuckle. :):laugh:

Oh god, thanks for the Exorcist visual reminder. Not cool since I'm unofficially emetophobeic (fear of vomiting, more so extreme anger is projected at others who do it and I just avoid barfing myself for decades at a time). Not cool I'm very mad at you* :(

** Just joking, I'm not really mad, Super grossed out though.
  • Jo_Bird
    Jo_Bird Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I read it is good in vitamans A, B and iron. But, it doesn't have fiber, isn't good for diabetics and in general helps store food and wouldn't be the cereal to choose if you are watching your weight or promoting a healthy heart. Low in calories but, overall nutritional value pretty low. I would give it 2 stars out of 5. If you like warm cereal in the morning and want a replacement, I would do oatmeal. If oatmeal seems not as yummy let's get it there by adding blueberries, cinnamon and walnuts. Hope this helps. Sorry about your cream of wheat. I hate when I find out one of the foods I thought was a good choice lets me down.
  • jeebsah
    jeebsah Posts: 39
    Options
    You should try cream of rice, it taste similar to cream of wheat and is free of cholesterol, gluten and fat
    it also has calcium, iron, protein. Or oat bran might be another alternative to cream of wheat also. I personally can't take too much wheat.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    @heathersmilez- I'm pretty sure my mom has that, if she barfs, it's time to take her to the hospital. She'd rather die than to puke.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I loooove Cream of Wheat! I eat it all the time with fresh blueberries....yum!
  • DeAsh
    DeAsh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love Cream of Wheat on a cold day! It's not as filling as some other things, but it's not my every day breakfast. It's also one of my comfort foods - my mom fixed it for us when we didn't feel good.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Cream of Wheat is junk.

I am not an oatmeal fan (can't get over the texture), but if I was, I would eat Irish steel cut oats. Unrefined, wholesome, and if you like oatmeal, scrumptious.

Try McCann's.
  • incircles_lp2
    incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone! I think I'll stick to something like oatmeal/steel cut oats for breakfast from now on. I love all oatmeal! It tastes great with Trader Joes dried wild blueberries! Yum!
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    They have a new whole grain version out....I haven't tried it but you could look into it. It's not 100% whole wheat but does have a lot more fiber than the original.