Alternatives to water?

Options

Replies

• bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    no. you're giving yourself an excuse to go back to bad habits.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    add lemon, mint, and cucumbers (its delish)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I drink decaf Iced Tea, Crystal light, Propel and Kirkland (Costco) Vita Rain Zero has 3 flavors and vitamin enhanced water I love this a lot.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

How on earth is drinking a zero, or almost zero, calorie beverage that you enjoy a bad habit?????????????????
  • ALC131
    ALC131 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Didn't expect so many replies, thank you everybody - extremely helpful!

I stopped drinking coffee because I was using full fat powdered milk and having 2 sugars each pop - not very healthy. I dislike it black with nothing so I think it's better to leave coffee out.

I was literally drinking probably 4-5 cups of coffee a day, 6-8 330ml cans of full fat coke and no water at all (in pure form!) - so I just cut the crap, water is good and that's what I've stuck to so far.

I think I'll stay off the coke because I think I would probably slip back into old habits with it, I'm happy with water - I just need to spice it up a little occasionally!

Additionally I'm staying off alcohol because I'll end up with a fat greasy kebab if I get drunk, I always do and then I'd go crazy at my self!
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Didn't expect so many replies, thank you everybody - extremely helpful!

I stopped drinking coffee because I was using full fat powdered milk and having 2 sugars each pop - not very healthy. I dislike it black with nothing so I think it's better to leave coffee out.

I was literally drinking probably 4-5 cups of coffee a day, 6-8 330ml cans of full fat coke and no water at all (in pure form!) - so I just cut the crap, water is good and that's what I've stuck to so far.

I think I'll stay off the coke because I think I would probably slip back into old habits with it, I'm happy with water - I just need to spice it up a little occasionally!

Additionally I'm staying off alcohol because I'll end up with a fat greasy kebab if I get drunk, I always do and then I'd go crazy at my self!

I think that's a good choice in that case. I personally drink clean mineral water mostly during the day and a coffee (but without any sugar added)....and I was joking with vodka :-).
  • tziol
    Options

How on earth is drinking a zero, or almost zero, calorie beverage that you enjoy a bad habit?????????????????

It may be a bad habit when drinking excessively because of ingredients it contains i.e. aspartame and I think its better to choose more healthier alternative if possible but at the same time not to exaggerate by thinking that it will do some harm if drunk from time to time.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    @tziol....

There's nothing wrong with aspartame or sugar.
  • sofaspud
    sofaspud Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    On one of the food programmes on TV they recently had some type of water (either soda or tonic water) to which they added Bitters to flavour them...............and NO I'm not on about Boddingtons or John Smiths - Angostura Bitters, Orange Bitters and A.N.Other which I forget now. Although I'd check alcohol & calorie content before drinking gallons, but I suspect as you only use a few drops that both would be minimal - but don't trust my judgement on that.

It was the Food & Drink programme (with Michael Roux) so may be available online??

I haven't tried them but the presenters seemed to like them.

You could also try the fruity herbal teas, either hot or cold.

Even just having fizzy water rather than stlll can seem like a totally different drink if you fancy a change.

Good Luck finding something you like!!!!
  • tziol
    Options
    @tziol....

I'll leave the dispute about aspartame to experts :) as there will probably be divided opinions. To my knowledge high excess of it is bad. With sugar, of course, your body needs it...but it is very easy to exceed the amount you need, which in consequence will have bad effect on you if exceeded often.
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi! A fellow UK resident here! Our choices seem rather restricted compared to across the pond! I drink Green Tea and here's a radical idea- for a change from my chilled water I sometimes have it hot! It rings the changes!
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I bought an infusion cup. There is an insert in the middle of the cup that I fill up with frozen fruit. It not only flavors the water, but it keeps it nice and cold. I just keep filling it all day, and the flavor lasts and lasts. You can change up the kinds of fruit each day so you don't get bored!!

Hope this helps!!

~Skye :flowerforyou:
  • northbanu
    Options
    @tziol....

I'll leave the dispute about aspartame to experts :) as there will probably be divided opinions. To my knowledge high excess of it is bad. With sugar, of course, your body needs it...but it is very easy to exceed the amount you need, which in consequence will have bad effect on you if exceeded often.
    Nope, no divided opinions about aspartame. The experts are all in agreement. It's the fear mongers and clean eating goofballs that have the issue. As for sugar in excess, all things in excess are detrimental. Consuming to much water and oxygen have caused a fair amount of deaths.
    </highjack>
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I like the mouth feel of something fizzy. When I crave that I drink seltzer. I like it plain, and I also like to flavor it with a little lime juice or lemon juice. A little goes a long way. No sweetener required! Works with plain water too.

Note: There is a difference between club soda and seltzer. Club soda has sodium; seltzer doesn't.
  • tziol
    Options
    @tziol....

Nope, no divided opinions about aspartame. The experts are all in agreement. It's the fear mongers and clean eating goofballs that have the issue. As for sugar in excess, all things in excess are detrimental. Consuming to much water and oxygen have caused a fair amount of deaths.
    </highjack>

If there are no divided opinions then simply google about it and you will find out different opinions from experts. Of course, consuming too much of everything can be bad even the oxygen :-)) but this is something really outside from the discussion about diet. Is it easier (or even possible) to exceed the amount of oxygen you need during your daily lifestyle :-) or is it easier to exceed amount of sugar you need. If that wouldn't be true, we all would eat chocolates, cakes with no limit because we love it :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    BEER!

Whaddo I win?

giphy.gif
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    @tziol....

</highjack>

If there are no divided opinions then simply google about it and you will find out different opinions from experts. Of course, consuming too much of everything can be bad even the oxygen :-)) but this is something really outside from the discussion about diet. Is it easier (or even possible) to exceed the amount of oxygen you need during your daily lifestyle :-) or is it easier to exceed amount of sugar you need. If that wouldn't be true, we all would eat chocolates, cakes with no limit because we love it :)

How about we continue to give the OP ideas for alternatives to plain water and keep the sweetener debate for another thread. If you have something you like to drink other than plain water, mention it without the judgement of others' suggestions. OP seems smart enough to figure out for himself where he wants to go regarding sweeteners, both artificial and natural.
  • alyssareyans
    alyssareyans Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Propel Water is awesome. There's tons of flavors and zero calories. It's what I get whenever I'm feeling I just want something with flavor.
  • northbanu
    Options
    @tziol....

</highjack>

How about we continue to give the OP ideas for alternatives to plain water and keep the sweetener debate for another thread. If you have something you like to drink other than plain water, mention it without the judgement of others' suggestions. OP seems smart enough to figure out for himself where he wants to go regarding sweeteners, both artificial and natural.

Sorry, mom. Damn, I been scolded. But of course you're right, earlnabby

:wink: :flowerforyou:
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Obviously water is going to be the best thing to drink
    Liiiies! Water isn't inherently cleansing or healthy or magically wonderful compared to other fluids. Other fluids are mostly water anyway.

Calorie-free drinks include tea - I really like fresh mint leaves and honey in hot water but it can be a faff unless you've got a mint plant somewhere nearby. A little bit of honey isn't many calories at all, really.