One month of lifting - with pics

Options
Hello!

I dabbled with lifting from the beginning of this year but with no real dedication. I chose Stronglifts 5x5 as it's easy to use, has a handy app and I knew I needed direction. I loved it, did it for a couple of months whilst out of work and living at my parents however once. I got a job not only did I need to move as my job was in Central London and my flat didn't have the space for my weights but aloe I was working so I didn't have all day to fit in my workouts. I stopped lifiting. Six months later and I was feeling awful, not only had I lost the muscle I'd built but also I'd fallen into the trap of office cake eating :( ....we all know we do it to numb the working pain right?!

I knew I had to do something. I've always struggled with my weight, I'm a major comfort eater which started in my teen years. I've fluctuated between a size 18 - 8 in the last 10 years (I'm UK so I think that is US 14-4) serious yo yo dieter but mainly I've sat around a size 14 (18 us) for the last 7 years. Not where I want to be as I'm technically over a stone over weight (again uk measurement, 14lbs).

My work offer £500 towards an annual gym membership, not only that they do all the work and sort the paperwork and then take it out of your pay before your money hits your account. The gym was only going to cost me £11 a month! In Central London, this was an amazing deal. However the next step would actually be going in to the gym........and using the weights!! Before this point I'd been able to workout at home at my parents, no intimidation, no waiting for weights, no worrying about people looking and judging. This were the things that would eventually delay my joining for anther 4 months!

In the end it was a booked holiday that made me bite the bullet. My husband and I booked out holiday and I realised I would be miserable on the beach as I was, 4 months of saying and no exercise had left me very spongey and with very noticeable cellulite on my thighs.

I did it, I bit the bullet and joined, first step there! I was ecstatic that I'd made that leap. The gym is in my building so also I realised I could work out at lunch which meant. I could now go home after work and not beat myself up about the fact that I was too tired to workout! I could get it done and go home and chill! Yay!

Next step was actually going and working out in the free weights section as a *gasp* girl! Shouldn't have worried. Seriously my main regret has been that I didn't do it earlier. Absolutely no one cared that I was in the weights area doing my squats or deadlifts etc. In fact the PT's at my gym actually give random advice if they're in the area when you are to advise you on form etc...invaluable advice that. I really should have paid for! Now I know them all and have long conversations with them and other gym users, no judging, no perving...just people with common goals sharing ideas and information.

My biggest regret was not hitting the weights earlier.

Oh yeah, this whole post was to show you my results! Despite my story these results are exactly 1 month so they are just 28 days of Stronglifts.

Ok TL;DR I hit the weights and within 1 month got these amazing results!!!

imagejpg1_zpsce506259.jpg

Replies

• Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Oh don't know how to reduce the size...will look now
  • Jenky85
    Options
    Here goes a try at reducing the size....

e6fb30ab-992d-4c91-a8c6-13a35e77947f_zpsead045eb.jpg
  • Jenky85
    Options
    There it is :)
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Well done girl. Your shoulders are coming along nicely as well as your waist. Keep going x
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thats brilliant! So inspiring :love:
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    in a month??? That is absolutely amazing.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I am so envious of your waist. Great job!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Bam- 1 month and such results. COME ON PEOPLE!!!!! SEE HOW WELL THIS WORKS!!! We aren't trying to trick you!!!!

Killing it girl- killing it!!! I love it!!! Great job.
  • Leo7777
    Options
    Oh wow this is great to see ... well done!!
  • juliec49
    Options
    Fantastic work girl. Keep at it, you look fabulous.
  • Jenky85
    Options
    Ah wow, took the dog out for a walk and came back to all these replies! Thank you everyone. I'm gutted I didn't take some before arm pictures as they have significantly improved. I literally can't believe the change in 1 month.

With regards to diet, no one has asked this yet but just anticipating it, I'm really bad with diet. My husband and I decided to try high fat, med protein, low carb but that really only lasted the first 2 weeks...the other 2 weeks I've eaten pretty much what I want mon-fri as long as I was under 1500. At weekends we have the bad habit of completely losing it and drinking far too much wine. However look at the results?? Yes they obviously could have been better and yes it may become harder to lose as I get closer to goal but I am so happy with the changes I've made without 'really' dieting and most definitely not starving myself as I've done previously :)
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!

This gives me hope!! Count down to cruise date is 64 days... I CAN do it!
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    to be honest, i cant tell the difference. but the effort is all that matters
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I SEE a difference. Great job.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Really? REALLY? C'mon!

That's a good looking waist. Nice job!
  • Jenky85
    Options
    Thanks bv109 for your input. Hope you have a great weekend.

imagejpg1_zpsb2c7e6be.jpg
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Huge difference in muffin top and shoulders, fantastic work! More definition in abs and around belly button too. When I get my weight down a bit further and knee strength built up a bit more, I am going to try this! Just last night I was working on my squats again, I will get there!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Awesome work, especially after one month. Keep it up!!! :drinker:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Theres always a joker :-D but in case you're serious, put on some specs :-D Seriously the before pic there's a muffin top in the after its completely gone! She's done amazingly ☺
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Great job!