Heather Vaughn Ive been eating 4000 calories a day!!

Options

Replies

• zoey1978
    zoey1978 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I adore you guys! i REALLY love the postive support and just seeing what everryone else is doing. THANK YOU! I am definetely going to start investing in the smart ones pizza and pastas! It really is a good tool.
    Kelly. THANK YOU lol I was shocked and I just wanted to get too know everyone.. no idea i would get so much response.
    SHARON. Its crazy!! It literally would take me walking over ten miles to just burn my lunch.. wow. crazy. Ive said wow so much today but its so shocking!! Im very happy to say ive had no dr pepper my biggest weaknes..A mild headache but worth it.. ive had a small diet and i didnt guzzle it like i do the regular DP but it was enough. :D Ive been chugging water since lunch and i think ill be ok with a 400 cal dinner! I love the feeling of sticking too it. even though its only been a day

Water is so important! Keep chugging it! If you drink a big glass of it before your next meal, it will help you feel full. With the pizza, Smart Ones is a good choice, but if you have high blood pressure, watch the sodium in those.

Another big change that will help you is to pay attention to your body. If you stop eating when you feel satisfied, not full, you'll be much more successful. It's so easy to overeat and be miserable just because something tastes good.

Good luck on your journey! :)
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I just ate lunch.. 2 pizza slices a small bag of chips and a diet soda and now I only have 200 calories left for the whole day! WOW .

So what happened to "today is a new day"?

Ouch! She went from 4 slices of pizza, 3 Dr Peppers and a bag of chips, to the very next day consuming half of that and tracking what she eats. That to me is *progress* and totally counts as a new day!!!

Heather, I think that what you're doing is great...you cant expect of yourself to do everything perfect in an instant...actually, I doubt anyone does everything perfect even after being at it for awhile, because hey..we're human! So don't ever get discouraged, feel great that you have taken this step and making changes.

It's true what others have said, as you make changes, your body will change with it, and it will start to take less and less to fill you up, also...you will not crave these types of food the way you do now. Like hey, I have not eaten chips in 20 years...okay no..when kiddo was 2, she shoved a chip in my mouth and went "Mmm! Its good right?!" that was 15 years ago and I still remember that LoL

(Dont take that to mean I eat all great else I woudlnt be here LoL My weakness is baked sweets...put pie in front of me, no matter if its home baked or the crappy packaged ones from a gas station, and its alll over) But still, changing your habits take more than one day, what matters is that you are making changes, and keep moving forward :)
  • hasjejc
    hasjejc Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would not even like to guess at the amount of calories I was eating ( and drinking ) a day! All I know is it must of been enough to feed a family, all going in me!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Awareness is the first step to making positive changes for ourselves. your on the right track by joining here too. Lots of useful tools and great advice. feel free to add me too if you like,:smile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck.
  • MrsHVaughn
    Options
    Dragon77 That was hello a beautiful post and wonderfully written thank you. Def I big change becsuae I would go home and make dinner for my husband and eat more than him.. food is such a comfort to me its horrible but tonight that is not going to happen. im going to eat a small salad. I also didnt have the coffee and donut for breakfast I usually have. Im totally satisfied with this..i had just let myslef get so out of control because I was dissapointed. Thank you though.
    Also the post about it being a life change so its ok to mess up a day is awsome. I love that theory because I am the type to do crash drastic diet and mess up and binge and give up so this is better!
    I love water and salad its seriously suprising im so large LOL When I had my son I lost all the water weight all the baby weight and was ten pounds smaller than post baby in two weeks by wearing a sweat belly band and drinking a ton of water before eating. So i know how to do this i just get so caught up and focused on my son I let it all go and have gained 30# In a few months. Im unhappy with life so I binge eat but im going to have to find a diffrent focus.
    <3 Love to hear your storiese everyone
  • MrsHVaughn
    Options
    You ladies tha have lost so much weight 50# 90# even 30# are such a inspiration thats amazing! BIG KUDDOS
  • karnie1974
    karnie1974 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It really makes you think about the calorie count in everything you eat!! I love the app because it allows me to eat what I like but adjust my diet for the rest of the day, also if I like something I just have a smaller portion!!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yes that was the biggest thing for me too! When I first began weighing and measuring (a few months after I started, or what I thought was starting to take better care of me) the food and liquids I consumed in a day. Just in creamer alone I was having over 86,000 calories a month! UNBELIEVABLE!!! Thank goodness for reality checks, right? Its been almost two years since I began and I have lost close to 60 pounds! I've had a little set back due to surgery about eight weeks ago; but today .. today is the first day back to my lifestyle change and finishing this race I started. Ok, not a race, but never-the-less today is the day to reset-refocus-regroup and get the weight off, once (again) but for the very last time!

You can and will achieve your goals MrsHVaughn!
  • derbycitylady
    derbycitylady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed as being diabetic my doctor gave me a 1600 calorie diet. I laughed and he was disturbed. I told him I was eating 1600 calories at every meal lol. I am doing better today is the 10th day of my lifestyle change. I am running from the needle. No insulin please!
  • MrsHVaughn
    Options
    86,000 WHAT??!! That is crazy but its scary its so easy to do!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    What shocked me when I first started was how easy it was to eat a 350 calorie muffin and how very difficult it was to burn 350 calories at the gym.

This this this!!!

I used to have a day's calorie quota in just my morning Danish and huge cappuccino 8-o

Now I have the odd calorie laden items, but now I'm fully aware of what it 'costs', so either I allow for it in my daily figure, or I go and try and work it off.

Welcome OP! Do whatever size steps work for you and your goals.
  • MrsHVaughn
    Options
    When I was diagnosed as being diabetic my doctor gave me a 1600 calorie diet. I laughed and he was disturbed. I told him I was eating 1600 calories at every meal lol. I am doing better today is the 10th day of my lifestyle change. I am running from the needle. No insulin please!

WOW Thats what I averaage so we are in the same boat. But you can do it and i was worried that is the dirrection i was heading since ive gained 80# since my husband met me. Good luck!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to do a water fast but My food addiction is just too strong so im going to take baby steps.
    Why would you go from eating 4000 cal per day to nothing???
    That's just as bad!
    My doctor & dietician told me to eat 10x my healthy goal weight (based on BMI).
    [ETA: as an example, my top healthy goal weight is 165, so I'm aiming for no more than 1650 TOTAL cal per day.]
    See my "goal setting" post for several BMI calculators, including one which will tell you how much of which food groups you should be eating.
    Don't aim for losing more than 2 lb per week, unless you're starting off very heavy (like in the neighborhood of 200 lb to lose). As you get closer to goal, that will drop to as little as 0.5 lb per week.
    Don't go under 1200 cal per day. That's total, not net. Ignore net.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

Goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045

Exercise basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-exercise-667080

Sleep enough
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-27-sleep-weight-control-690492

Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein

Eat about half your calories for breakfast (see the last half of this post for the studies)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-10-some-studies-about-weight-loss-667818

Motivation & encouragement (explained in blog post)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-07-24-motivation-encouragement-680938

- Set small intermediate goals & celebrate every one.
    - Take measurements.
    - Take pictures.
    - Weigh yourself regularly.
    - Be flexible; forgive yourself.
    - Celebrate the non-scale victories (NSV's)
    - Don't give up!!!!
    - Don't make any food forbidden.
  • sirjudley19
    sirjudley19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was pretty shocked when I first started too. I was at 4500 calories easily. Fast Food, TONS of sweet tea. Now I look back and cannot believe I was consuming that many calories, and alot of that disgusting food! Today marks 50 pounds lost for me, and I am never going back!!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I just ate lunch.. 2 pizza slices a small bag of chips and a diet soda and now I only have 200 calories left for the whole day! WOW .

She ate two pieces instead of 4, that's a new day. She will learn to get better at her day. It's NOT learned all in one freaking day. SMDH
  • jharwell58
    jharwell58 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's hard to give up the soda habit, but worth it! Fairly quickly you will get used to it and never look back! Good Luck! Good for YOU for tracking!
  • Vivisexsymbol
    Vivisexsymbol Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the welcome. I have been trying to do a water fast but My food addiction is just too strong so im going to take baby steps. Today I started NO soda and count calories. I can eat what i crave but i need to get it under x calories which will be hard but i believe i can do it.

Baby steps are good - sometimes just knowing you have to log everything you eat is a deterrent from eating certain things.

Reading through your posts I notice two things: one, that you say you eat the same things a lot, and two, that you're worried about not being able to enjoy foods you had prior to joining MFP.

If you prepare the foods you do like/crave yourself you can control what goes in them and therefore how nutritious they are. Pizza is fine - take advantage of using it as a delicious way to get a couple servings of veggies and choose a strongly-flavoured cheese that you'll use less of. Doing it that way can be just as satisfying and significantly lower in calories/fat/etc. Explore different types of food and vary your routine and you'll reap the benefits of it.

Take time to eat - it takes your brain 20 minutes to feel full (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18779997). Even if you eat the exact same thing you're eating right now, if you just eat it slower and savour the lovely flavours you'll stop eating quicker (and therefore consume less calories) as long as you stop eating once you feel satisfied. Either that or if the food is only mediocre you'll be disappointed you're wasting your daily calories on something that doesn't taste great and it gives you a reality check.

Take your baby steps. The best one that worked for me is that no matter what you eat, log all of it, and log it accurately. That in itself is a deterrent. :)

Best of luck!
  • godswill206
    Options
    Wow that creamer bit struck a cord with me. When I was not weighing, measuring, and logging my food...I would probably drink 3k or more of cals from large drinks at Starbucks per day.

Personally, I'm not at a place where I can eat out so I don't. I cook all my meals. I omit convenience foods. The amount of salt and sugar even in the so called convenient healthy foods are sometimes very scary.
  • MrsHVaughn
    Options

She ate two pieces instead of 4, that's a new day. She will learn to get better at her day. It's NOT learned all in one freaking day. SMDH

:) YOU HAVE LOST OVER 200# THAT IS AMAZING!!! CONGRATULATIONS