Have I planned this right?

Options
Hello, I'm kind of new to the whole lifestyle change thing. I've tried weight watchers and tony ferguson (shake diet) and have only gained weight.

I'm over a 110 kilos and want to get down to 70 to 75 based on my body type. I've given myself the challenge of losing half to 1 kilo per week over the next 12 to 18 months. Is that too fast?

I plan on using an exercise bike 5 days a week for 30 minutes and the same with a cross trainer once I get one. Is this okay or too much?

Another thing, I'm planning on prepping my meals for a fortnight and freezing them since I get paid fortnightly. My plan is to cook my lunch and dinner meals and making salads and buying yoghurts and fruit. Is this on the right track?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I want to do this right.

Thanks.

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    sounds like a great plan simply on the basis that your are planning ahead.
    i started at 106kg, could only manage 7 mins approx on most cardio initially.maybe break into smaller chunks than 30 mins and build up?

i went from 7 to 50 mins fast walking on treadmill over 10 weeks.

i would also suggest swimming.great cardio with resistance and easy on the joints as a starter.you also get great calorific burn for time invested.
    g luck.
  • JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    1/2 to 1kg per week is a safe rate to lose weight.

Hard to say. An hour of cardio at the beginning might be too much but you will quickly figure out what works for you. Start with an attainable goal like 20mins and work up.

All the best.
  • bubbersa
    bubbersa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The best way to succeed is to have a plan, so you're well on you way. Very smart, getting the meals sorted all at once.
    I'd agree that you might want to ease into the cardio. An hour a day is certainly not too much, but it might be a high bar to set for yourself if you're starting from scratch.
    I'd also throw some body resistance type training in there too, to give you something that involves your full body. Bikes and cross-trainers are fine, but they get pretty boring after a while.
    Look on Pinterest for some beginner circuits that you can do (squats, lunges, planks) to mix things up a bit - your body will thank you!
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    sounds like a great plan,

re the cardio: the time you do depends on your fitness already.

I started at 101.9kg and could easily do an hour + of cardio.

Apart from my asthma and my weight I was pretty healthy with an average level of fitness, have an active day to day (mum to 4 young kids, doing school runs and shopping etc all on foot as i dont drive)

so although the above advice of starting off with a lower time and increasing as you go/can, YOU know best of what level of exercise you are capable of doing.

Good luck xx
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    1. I've given myself the challenge of losing half to 1 kilo per week over the next 12 to 18 months. Is that too fast?

No its reasonable imo, but to get that will depend on the calorie deficit you can create, plus weight loss isnt linear, so be prepared for rates to differ.

2. I plan on using an exercise bike 5 days a week for 30 minutes and the same with a cross trainer once I get one. Is this okay or too much?

What they said, ease yourself in and then do an amount thats reasonable, but still counts as exercise. As you get fitter, then increase intensity.. Alos consider soem weights/resistance exercises.

3.Another thing, I'm planning on prepping my meals for a fortnight and freezing them since I get paid fortnightly. My plan is to cook my lunch and dinner meals and making salads and buying yoghurts and fruit. Is this on the right track?

What you are eating is good. Try and keep variety up. You might find having 2 weeks frozen meals prepared in bulk might bore you and be too inflexible. Mot everything will last 2 weeks.

GJ in figuring out a sensible plan.
  • amyashworth98
    amyashworth98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. :smile:

I thought I would have to add something more to my exercise program so I've borrowed a friends wii and Zumba as well as the wii fit. I LOVE ZUMBA!!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: With the bike and cross trainer, I'm planning on starting at a slow, gentle pace and build up my strength.

Thanks for the tips. I've got some of my favourite recipes under my food section in recipes so I am working my caloric intake around those. Paella, spaghetti bolognaise, meatballs in gravy, homemade chicken noodle soup, pumpkin soup, tuna bake, along with the basics. :wink: Thinking about it, these recipes serve a minimum of 4 people so I may get a month's worth of meals in one cooking session.

Thanks again. Cheers.
  • amyashworth98
    amyashworth98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Quick update.

Breakfast has been a challenge but I'm changing that. A homemade smoothie plus a scrambled, poached or fried egg on a piece of toast for breakfast. Working so far. :wink:

As for the elliptical and bike. Could only manage 7 minutes on each in two sessions. :noway: I am really out of shape. I couldn't get my friend's Wii working but I bought the Zumba kit on special. Much happier. :happy:

Next challenge will be avoiding takeaway food. :angry: Not the easiest thing to do in this house but I'll get there. Thanks again for the ideas and support.

Cheers.