5'9 ladies, does ANYONE want to be in the 120s?

Options
I am an 18 year old girl, and my goal weight is in the 120-128 range.

Everyone I talk to says that is way too low, but I am guessing that I am in the 140s right now (haven't weighed myself in a LONG time, it just discourages me and I find I stay more motivated when I don't know what I weigh).

I have weighed 144, my lowest recorded weight, and I still had fat to lose in my stomach, thighs, and arms. I feel like that excess could add up to 20 lbs of distributed fat, and I don't think I would look too thin.

According to BMI standards I would be "underweight" but I really don't think that is accurate at all.

Please let me know your thoughts!! :)

Replies

• godswill206
    Options
    My doctor gave me a range between 127-148lbs. I'm 5'8. Evidently, there are several formulas to calculate ideal weight.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'9 and I would look seriously gaunt in the 120's , but I have large hips and breast. It really depend on your build. I know a girl who's also 5'9 and a model a she's about 115 pounds and she looks terrific. It really depends on a lot of things!

Maybe you should focus on having a body fat % goal instead of a number on the scale?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Even at the same height we all carry weight differently.

I'm 5ft 9" and would look half dead at 120lbs, the lowest I've been that looks good is 135, I went down to 131/2 unintentionally and it wasn't pretty!!
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your build (frame and muscle). Some people look great at low weights, while others look gaunt. I'm 5'7, and I look frightening in the 120s (friends, family, everyone worried about me) because my frame is medium plus I've got a good amount of muscle mass.

It's not just about losing fat. It's also about building and maintaining muscle in order to have that "toned" look. Pilates is great for that, for instance.

You're really young. Check in with your doctor/dietitian for advice. Good luck!
  • iggylove123
    Options
    I suppose that it depends on your build and where you store your weight. I'm 5'9.5 and weigh just under 170. I have wide hip and a wide rib cage, I'm forever curvy so if I weighed 120 I would look SICK! The lowest I could weight without looking sickly would be 150. My goal is to be 160. I would strive to be healthy and lean, don't focus so much on the number, focus on the feeling
  • clare120
    clare120 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have never posted a topic before and I didn't think I would get so many replies this quickly! Thank you all so much for your advice!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and my usual weight is 117 (down a bit right now). But I have a tiny frame -- long thin bones. My wrist measurement is less than 6". So I'd have to say it would depend on your frame.

I look thin, sure, but not "half dead' or anything like that. I can carry a 35 lb bag of dog food around quite capably with one arm, or do a 4 - 5 hour hike with no problem.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Start lifting heavy!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    nope. I like 160-175 for me and that would be with musskles. I was once 156 and I didn't look too good. I mean, I looked good, but my face looked gaunt.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    At 5'7" I looked terrible at 130 lbs. I fit in a 7 jeans ( the waist was lose but had bruises on my hip bones from rubbing). My goal is between 140-155. Really depends on your bone structure.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It is NOT 20 pounds of fat, that's definite. Can you get to a gym with a certified instructor who an do a caliper test at least?

Here's my 2 cents.

I'm nearly 5' 10" and I used to model .... If the 120s were a healthy weight for you, it's what you would weigh without any struggle. At my lowest I was 130. I ate one meal a day and exercised very hard for lots of muscle to continuously burn fat and stayed 135 quite comfortably. However, I was still "too fat" for photograph modeling. Those girls are naturally very slight, small skeletal structure to begin with, and then they "suck down" (drastically lose via laxatives, diuretics, etc) 10+ pounds of mostly water before a shoot. Please, don't ever measure yourself against them, they will be the first to tell you it isn't healthy, it's what they do for the job - short term - they go up to a more normal weight in between jobs, but like I said, their normal is quite low because of their frames.
    If you want to lower your clothing size - and aren't hung up on the scale - you could tone up with exercise to build muscle.
    Right now I am aiming to get back down to the 140s but I'm not hung up on that number -- I'm giving myself slack because I'm older and I've had kids.
    Good luck.
    Stay smart about this.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and my usual weight is 117 (down a bit right now). But I have a tiny frame -- long thin bones. My wrist measurement is less than 6". So I'd have to say it would depend on your frame.

I look thin, sure, but not "half dead' or anything like that. I can carry a 35 lb bag of dog food around quite capably with one arm, or do a 4 - 5 hour hike with no problem.

Thank you for saying this. I think a lot of people on MFP forget that being thin and healthy is a real thing.
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and I will say the lowest I have ever been was 145, for my build that was far too thin. I had bobble head syndrome when someones head appears to big for their body and most of my bones were sticking out. It will also determine your built, I have broad shoulders, broad hips and I am just not a small framed gal. I would worry more about weight training and make that fat go away that way, your weight may not go down but you will be toned.
  • clare120
    clare120 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful! I am a size 4 in clothing right now, my goal is to be a 2. Anyone else in the same boat?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Thank you for saying this. I think a lot of people on MFP forget that being thin and healthy is a real thing.

And thank you for acknowledging that. :flowerforyou: Other times I've posted my stats on here, I've been accused of promoting eating disorders blah blah.

And I'm extremely healthy. All my bloodwork comes back "excellent" per my doctor. I get a cold maybe once every two or three years, and it's never bad enough to keep me off work. I have more energy than most of the women my age.

Anyway, to answer the OP's latest question, I'm a size 4 at my current weight (I have 36" hips) other than a couple of brands where I wear size 2, but I think that's more down to vanity sizing than anything else. Or maybe it's because I'm *ahem* middle-aged and prefer my clothes a little less closely fitted than in my younger days :laugh:
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I think 140 is unreachable even for me. 120 means I would have to cut off a leg and maybe an arm. It does depend on more than height. I rather have more toned muscles than a smaller number on the scale. But than again I've always been overweight! Sooo I think it's more how YOUR body is at that weight :) I was a size 9, (I have some "baby makin hips" they are huge, and I was in GREAT shape, but I was still 170 pounds, while people thought I was 130, so it depends on your body type, and how you feel at that weight! try doing some yoga and some core workouts, but don't get obsessed with a number on the scale, but maybe body fat percent! that's my main goal. to get from 46% to 23% :)
  • alligatorrawr
    Options

I love that you used a dog food reference!! I'm a dog groomer so I judge my strength by what breed of dog I can comfortably pick up. that just made me smile!!
  • alligatorrawr
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful! I am a size 4 in clothing right now, my goal is to be a 2. Anyone else in the same boat?

i'm a 14 and want to be a 12. soooo i'm on the tug boat over there. or the cruise ship with the buffet ;)
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Looking back at my 120 days in pictures, and I looked way too skinny! It might look good on you, but it wasn't for me.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As long as you can do it in a healthy way and are able to maintain there comfortably. I'm 5'0 and maintaining between 115-120. I would love to lose another 10-15lbs, but I'm realizing that doing that would push me into seriously bad habits and ruin my ability to go out socially. For me, that's a deal breaker. I'd rather be in the middle of the healthy range and mentally/physically happy.

It's all about you. You're 18, which is fairly young. I might recommend checking in with your doctor.