Getting started with disappointing results

Options
Hi MFP!

So This is the fourth time I've gone gung-ho into MFP land. Most of the times I've started, I've been able to lose 5lbs each week for the first three to four weeks.

This round, I'm doing better than I ever have before, keeping under my 1400 calorie limit and exercising WAY more than I did any other time I've done MFP. Been doing bootcamp once a week (ramping it up to twice a week soon), been going to dance classes, walking more, HIKING... However since 9/2 I've only lost 7lbs.

I have a pretty huge goal I'm trying to hit (ideally 60lbs by next may), so maybe this is just me freaking out about not seeing immediate results, but I wanted to reach out to the community and see what your thoughts/suggestions/tips would be for ramping up weight loss in the early stages?

Thanks!

Replies

• waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Good job on your loss so far. I lost my 60ish lbs in probably 9-10 months. Been maintaining since. I think at the start you have to be strict as you can on your logging. Training yourself to eat slowly. Shop smart and only buy what you know is or me it is like spending money and I am on a limited budget. Spend wisely and not on frivelous junk foods. Read labels a lot too. And having a kitchen scale is a big plus to measure portions. Best of luck! :bigsmile:
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me I'm trying to lose my last 27 pounds. I'm on daily
  • katelynann42
    katelynann42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good job on your loss so far. I lost my 60ish lbs in probably 9-10 months. Been maintaining since. I think at the start you have to be strict as you can on your logging. Training yourself to eat slowly. Shop smart and only buy what you know is or me it is like spending money and I am on a limited budget. Spend wisely and not on frivelous junk foods. Read labels a lot too. And having a kitchen scale is a big plus to measure portions. Best of luck! :bigsmile:

Thanks waltcote! That was really helpful :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks. That's a very fast rate of loss. In fact, that's not a rate you're going to be able to sustain in the long run. That's going to slow down, so if you're disappointed now, you're in for a very rocky journey.
  • wulfax
    wulfax Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are really active, good job on that! Some of the activities you are describing I believe has calisthenics (crunches, push-ups, that sort of thing). I think one of the things that you need to remember, being as active as you are and doing those exercises, is that you will also be building some muscle as you are losing fat. In the end this is a good thing, as your muscle will help you burn more fat.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Your body simply won't sustain a 5 lb per week loss...that isn't even healthy. A very liberal amount to lose would be around 2lbs per week, and between 1-1.5 is considered healthy.

Keep on keepin' on. Don't get discouraged. It'll happen if you are making the changes, it just won't happen overnight.

Good luck
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks. That's a very fast rate of loss. In fact, that's not a rate you're going to be able to sustain in the long run. That's going to slow down, so if you're disappointed now, you're in for a very rocky journey.

This...exactly this. ^

I was losing about 4 pounds per week for a month and a half when I first started, and now I'm over-the-moon ecstatic if I lose 1 lb per week (most of the time it's 0-point-something per week). The initial loss is mainly water weight...after that initial "fall off in chunks" time...it gets very rough (in my opinion).

Stick with it, stay motivated, find things that inspire you...and don't give up.:smile:
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I think your expectations need to be more realistic. A healthy sustainable rate of loss is 1-2 pounds a week. You will lose more at first, but that is mainly water weight. I have been at this almost 4 months. I have been losing around 2 pounds a week, so the amount you see on my ticker today is a realistic sustainable amount in that time. The reason you fall off the wagon is because of your unrealistic expectations as to how long this will take. You're doomed to failure again unless you begin to realize that this is nor a sprint.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    So let me give you an idea of how slow it is the closer you get to your goal...

It has taken me no less than 5 months to lose 10 POUNDS.

Can you keep it up if you don't see results when you want them? Because that will happen the closer you get to your goal. This is a long term thing and you won't be able to continue to lose that amount of weight and keep it up. You just have to trust in the process and keep going.
  • katelynann42
    Options

This...exactly this. ^

I was losing about 4 pounds per week for a month and a half when I first started, and now I'm over-the-moon ecstatic if I lose 1 lb per week (most of the time it's 0-point-something per week). The initial loss is mainly water weight...after that initial "fall off in chunks" time...it gets very rough (in my opinion).

Stick with it, stay motivated, find things that inspire you...and don't give up.:smile:

ahhh water weight. This makes a lot of sense. The first 7lbs came off in the first week, the second week was all maintaining. I for sure know that 5lbs per week for the entirety of my "journey" is unrealistic, but was curious about why this time my starting had slower results then other times I've got back on the dieting wagon.

Thanks!
  • katelynann42
    Options
    I think your expectations need to be more realistic. A healthy sustainable rate of loss is 1-2 pounds a week. You will lose more at first, but that is mainly water weight. I have been at this almost 4 months. I have been losing around 2 pounds a week, so the amount you see on my ticker today is a realistic sustainable amount in that time. The reason you fall off the wagon is because of your unrealistic expectations as to how long this will take. You're doomed to failure again unless you begin to realize that this is nor a sprint.

Thanks! Man I hope I'm not doomed though! I know this is going to be different than when I lost 77lbs between 2009 to 2011, but I was curious as to why this time my starting weight loss was so different than when I did it before. Sprinting this time only because I have my wedding date set for May of next year and I want to be at goal by then :)
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    That's a great loss -- but I understand the frustration. I concur with being meticulous about tracking and definitely getting a scale. I actually like to measure in grams for a lot of stuff, like crackers, because it's more accurate. I use the scanner feature on the app - a lot. Almost everything is scannable. I scanned a carton of eggs and a package of spinach this morning when I made an omelette. Super convenient and will help you track every bite. Best of luck! You've got this!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Thanks! Man I hope I'm not doomed though! I know this is going to be different than when I lost 77lbs between 2009 to 2011, but I was curious as to why this time my starting weight loss was so different than when I did it before. Sprinting this time only because I have my wedding date set for May of next year and I want to be at goal by then :)
    Congrats on the wedding--take it day by day. Each day you're a little bit closer than you were. Even if you are not quite where you want to be by your wedding day, you'll be closer than you are now and I am sure he will still think you look beautiful.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    since 9/2 I've only lost 7lbs.
    That's 3.5 lb per week, which would be expected if you were starting off in the 150-lb range of weight to lose.
    I started in mid-January with 110 lb to lose and am not quite at 60 lb down.
    I have a pretty huge goal I'm trying to hit (ideally 60lbs by next may)
    1 to 1.5 lb per week would be reasonable for now.
    As you get closer to goal it will slow.
    The last 20-30 lb would be 0.5 lb per week if you're lucky.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-07-24-motivation-encouragement-680938
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you want to make it, you have to be committed. That means sticking it out for the long haul. You're going to have to be patient.

Ask yourself how many times do you really want to do this? You can keep killing yourself and burning out or you can try doing it differently.

Want different results? Do something different.

Commitment. Patience.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your upcoming marriage.

7 pounds is great. Keep up the good work. Be sure to track the foods in and out and make sure its Proper nutrition.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You have 32 weeks until the 1st of May, plenty of time to reach your goal. Your losses this time around may be slower than previous attempts, but overall you're still doing great.
    Slow and steady wins the race. :)
  • katelynann42
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Ended up getting to my goal for the month! Your support and info really helped! Yay! :heart:
  • ArdieAgain
    ArdieAgain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Muscle weigh is greater than fat and 5 lbs a week is losing it too fast? I'd pay more attention to inches than a scale if I was as active as you are.

Cut yourself some slack! It's a long-haul thing, not a quick fix...
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Your expectations are WAY too high. Expect .5lbs a week, anything more is awesome.