What should my ideal weight be? I am 5'8

I have my goal at 145 but recently I was researching the BMI scales and they say that a big framed woman is healthy weight at either

Large frame
Ideal weight range is 164 - 180.4 lbs. (74.5 - 82 kg.)

Medium frame
Ideal weight range is 154 - 169.4 lbs. (70 - 77 kg.)..

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

My question is this true. Or should I keep my goal at 145

Replies

• onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    I am 5'7.5" and my goal weight is anywhere between 140-150, but honestly I am so far from that, that it'd be like squinting at the horizon but failing to notice you're about to trip over something right in front of you.

I could very well get to 160 and feel awesome and healthy, so then I would stop. I could reach 140lbs and still be flabby as heck and need to continue (doubtful though - I am quite beefy!)

You just gotta do what feels right!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm 5"8 and my ideal weight is 65kgs. I'm probably medium frame. I'm 73kgs now and definitely not slim!
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    I am smaller boned 5' 8.5" and I hope to be 140lbs. I was 135 lbs for most of my 20's and 30's. It was not skinny. You will figure it out!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    This is really something you and your doctor have to decide. We can't know.

At 5'8.5 and small-framed, I was 120-125 in high school and not unhealthy or worrisomely skinny.

I'd like to get back to that weight, just to do it, but I don't know if I can or will even want to later on, when the weight is harder to lose. Plus, I'm not in high school anymore, so I may just have to kiss that goodbye. It's my goal, though, lol.

At about 180, I'm nowhere near a normal, healthy weight. Maybe if I were large-framed, I don't know. But right now, I'm quite fat. Nowhere near deciding on an actual, final goal. When I'm about 150 or 140, then I'll ask the doc and we will come to a decision. :)
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    That seems off to me, as BMI for 5'8 is about 123lbs - 163lbs (not sure about this?) and according to body frame size, small 126-139, medium 136-150, and large is 146-167. jessica-biel-weight21.gif

Keep your goal weight and when you get closer to it you can always change it than.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Everyone uses lbs here. So I'm 160lbs and definitely not slim! My ideal weight is 143lbs for medium frame.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Lose weight till you like how you look and feel.
  • I'm 5'3 and I weigh between 145-150. I'm medium framed, so I'm considered heavier than I should be. That being said, if you look at my BMI alone, I'm overweight. In reality, I'm far from it. I'm muscular, healthy, and happy right where I am. It should never be about a number on a scale. When you feel good, that's what counts. When you are healthy, that's what counts. One number will never tell you the whole story. I can say, from experience, that my very first goal was to lose 10% of my body weight and take it from there. I lost it and found I was happy where I was.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    I'm 167 or so pounds in the picture on the right and 5'8". I'm medium to large framed and while BMI would classify me as overweight at that weight, I'm actually quite healthy, though I could still safely lose some more. I DO NOT think it would be healthy for me to aim for 145lbs.

8b6829e13003c149d1048522ce25882d1441.jpg

BUT, that's me and my body. I would say aim for the 160's first and see where you're at. Each person's body is different. There are women that are 5'8" and look great in the 120s and there are women at 5'8" and 170 and look great. No one can give you a perfect # to aim for.....
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Ideal body weight for women is 100lbs + 5 pounds for every inch over 5' with a range of +/-10% .... so, 100 + 5(8) = 140lbs +/- 10%...

So, your ideal body weight range is from 126-154lbs depending on your frame size and what's natural for you.

This is just what I learned in one of my nutrition class :) (I'm a nutrition major)
  • Thank you all for your comments I will lose more weight and when I feel I am healthy I will consult the doctor to see what he or she thinks
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    That seems off to me, as BMI for 5'8 is about 123lbs - 163lbs (not sure about this?) and according to body frame size, small 126-139, medium 136-150, and large is 146-167.

Keep your goal weight and when you get closer to it you can always change it than.

That chart isn't correct.eg the healthy range for an averaged framed 5'8 women is 122 to 165lbs ...frame size adjusts that up and down the differences are not within the range

Personally I would be unhappy at less than 160lb
  • Sued0nim
    An MFP poster has just created this calculator, it's pretty good

http://www.weightloss-calculator.net
  • This whole "frame" business confuses me. Is there an actual scientific way to determine your frame size, or is it all relative? The way I see it, we all have the potential to be skin and bones, or morbidly obese. So can your frame change with weight loss?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    145 is totally reasonable for you. But see how you feel as you get to the various weights and stop where you're comfortable.

*edited for typo
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Your biological ideal weight is the weight than you can achieve without struggling to maintain it. If you have to do a lot of exercise and or feel starved to maintain a certain weight, then that's below your ideal body weight.

The charts are averages.
  • Sued0nim
    This whole "frame" business confuses me. Is there an actual scientific way to determine your frame size, or is it all relative? The way I see it, we all have the potential to be skin and bones, or morbidly obese. So can your frame change with weight loss?

Not really it's based on skeletal structure and the measurement is at the wrist which isn't prone to putting on weight but I suppose the measurement could be inaccurate for the morbidly obese and there will always be exceptions to the general rule which fits 90%

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    keal your frame is your skeleton size basically. Are you big boned or fine boned. ITs hard to tell when you are very overweight. But you can tell the people who are fined boned when they are skinny, they don't look starving. Meanwhile big boned people when skinny do look starving.
  • An MFP poster has just created this calculator, it's pretty good

http://www.weightloss-calculator.net

Thanks for the link according to the program I can reach my original goal of 145 and in reality I could even go lower by a bit