What's the worst diet/fitness advice you've received?

Options

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

"seriously, just smoke and your appetite goes away."
    (overheard behind two young teenage girls at the Starbucks...so sad)

"Whenever I get hungry, I just take a percocet and go to sleep"
    (overheard while in the restroom in the dance department at a conservatory I was working at)

Wow, Viv. You have heard some doozies. UNREAL!
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    "just workout everyday, and then you can eat anything you want to."
    ("friend" who was overweight and had never worked out)
    My all time favorite when I was working in NC and I'd bring my lunch, one guy constantly told me this.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    DOG food builds muscle BTW i didnt try it:noway:

ROFL
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    When I was like 18 my sister borrowed this book from someone called The Six Day Diet, or something along that line. You went through and figured out what "type" you were and it gave you a meal plan. It was basically a clean diet with lean proteins, limited carbs, pretty low calorie. BUT! YOU ONLY HAD TO DO IT FOR 6 DAYS WOOHOO!! :wink: On day 2 we both went La Paloma and got large Sopapillas and scarfed them DOWN!! :laugh: :laugh: I ended up finishing the 6 day diet and lost some water weight but, yeah. 6 days of clean eating doesn't do much for you in the long run.

I'm almost wondering if they meant "Six Day Diet", as in...eat healthy for six days a week, then have a cheat day. Then you go back on the diet for six days. Not six days only.

I'm pretty sure the book was just about doing this diet for six days to "lose up to 20 lbs in a week" or something like that. Either way, I was 18, didn't have any weight to lose, and went back to eating sopapillas & chinese food on day 7 :laugh: . It wasn't until I hit 20 that I started gaining a weight and eventually started trying to do things right by exercising. Exercising wasn't getting me anywhere, which landed me here at MFP and changed my life as far as nutrition and fitness. :heart:
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    "Here you are Miss RGP, take these [now banned in the UK] slimming tablets and come back in 3 months. I must warn you, they have serious side effects, including sleeplessness, shaking and suicidal thoughts".

Errrr, right. Cheers doc! :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    that too much protein is bad for your kidneys........like they clog it up or something.....ll

Actually, there is some truth in this.

There sure is!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

The interesting part was this: both girls were evaluated for mental health beforehand, to try to ensure they didn't already have body image problems or wouldn't develop them while doing the study. Both started out pretty healthy, mentally. One girl did ok (she was on some of the less-crazy diets). The other (who did the lemon thing, the extreme cal restriction, etc)... Well, they pulled her from the study early because she ended up developing the beginning symptoms of bulimia (binge/purged a couple of times and used laxatives in an unhealthy way, outside the scope of the diets.) Aside from the awful physical effects, these diets actually CAUSED an eating disorder. Yikes.

Semistarvation neurosis. Why do people never learn? Why?

Anyway, one of the worst pieces of advice I was given was "don't eat carbs. They make you fat."

Errrrrr, no. Over eating any nutrient will do that, Yes, even protein...
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    "just workout everyday, and then you can eat anything you want to."
    ("friend" who was overweight and had never worked out)

My Mother-in-Law has told me this on MANY different occassions. She is also 5'4" and 100 lbs., early fifties...
  • lookinggreat
    Options
    Back in college I was sharing an apartment with 3 other girls and we decided to do the pinapple diet -- another detox fad. 5 days eating only pineapple for breakfast, lunch and dinner (and I know some were cheating). We've all had diarrhea like never before (and we had only one bathroom for 4!!!) I remember I could feel the entire lower part of my bowels. Geez!
    Never again! That taught me about fad diets once and for all.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    that too much protein is bad for your kidneys........like they clog it up or something.....ll

There sure is!

Really? I thought I read where it wasn't bad on the kidneys.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    It's a tie between:

Don't eat fruit, it has too much sugar

and

Avoid carbohydrates and eat super high protein.

:drinker:

Yep, those would be at the top of my list, too.
  • 135sb
    135sb Posts: 24
    Options
    I was dumbfounded when a woman, who has dieted all her life, told me you can he whatever you want because your body will convert it into what it needs...the example she used was "twinkies". Yes, those little cakes are just loaded with vit/min and fiber. dah
  • Zabarilla
    Zabarilla Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "Oh it's just baby fat! Eat whatever you want it will come off eventually."

Uh huh...
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

There sure is!

Someone else already explained it, but very high levels can hurt the organ over a long period of time. If a person were to have other Kidney problems, it can cause problems quickly. Your body can only handle so much protein at one time and usually excretes the rest as waste via urination.
  • iamkelskels
    Options
    My favorite is the "Carbonation" diet. I was in high school, some girl said she and her mother were on it, and I remember asking "So you're not drinking soda?" and she said "No, tons of foods have carbonation in it."

Uh.. what?
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I once got told that to just switch everything to fat free and the weight would come off.

Eating food that says fat free this or fat free that usually have more carbohydrates to make up for the taste. Not good.

I did that in the 90s when it was all the rage. I shudder to think how much sugar I ate in a day.

Sugar and Sodium!
  • nicholasnam
    nicholasnam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Low weight and high reps for long, lean muscles. LOL!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    "Cleanses are a healthy and easy way to lose ten pounds."

Yeah, but ten pounds of what?
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Low weight and high reps for long, lean muscles. LOL!

Yep especially for women b/c women don't want to "bulk up"!

This one drives me crazy! To build muscle you have to challenge the muscles AND women aren't genetically made to get HUGE like men.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options

There sure is!

Someone else already explained it, but very high levels can hurt the organ over a long period of time. If a person were to have other Kidney problems, it can cause problems quickly. Your body can only handle so much protein at one time and usually excretes the rest as waste via urination.
    right, but the way it's told that makes the difference.....no such thing as an absolute yes or no it will or will not mess up your kidneys....it's called a balance, and that's why I don't care for "absolute" advice