Do you think you look as heavy as you are?

Options
I'm 5ft 4 and weigh somewhere around 11stone (152lbs) - meaning I need to lose around a stone and a half to be smack bang in the middle of my healthy range.

The thing is, I don't know if I'm in complete denial, but I don't think I look like I weigh 11 stone. I'm a UK size 12-14, do no exercise (so it can't be muscle!) and eat relatively well, although my portion sizes were large. Calorie counting on a 'pre-diet' day shows I was eating around 2000 calories.

I obviously do need to lose some weight, but I just wondered. Does anyone else feel like this whole BMI thing is a big horrible conspiracy?!

Replies

• theatr3geek
    Options
    I feel like I look heavier :P lol. I'm 118 and 5'3'' which mean I'm smack in the middle of the healthy range. And I feel like I still look overweight hahaha. So I know what you mean.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I think the BMI scale is complete crap!! It doesn't take into account body type, muscle mass, etc. According to the BMI scale Arnold Schwarzenegger and George Clooney are obese.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    It depends... there are days I look in the mirror and think I look pretty damned good, and not at ALL as heavy as my scale claims I am... but then I see photographs of myself, and I recoil in horror and think "Holy hell, when did I get THAT fat?"
  • floozieq
    Options
    I am 5'*8 and am "down" to 202.5. I don't think I look terrible - but I know that I am still 50 lbs overweight and I think I am wearing rose colored glasses when I look in the mirror. My BP is still up and I can feel the strain when I walk 4 miles... that means I am seeing what I want to "see" ... You may be doing the same thing... Good luck and try and loose some more!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    No way - especially when I compare with other people who are my exact number weight - there is a HUGE range in shapes and sizes!
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    All told, BMI is pretty ridiculous, and I put almost no stock in it at all as an accurate gauge of healthy weight levels. It's a measurement that's made by taking very little into account and leaving a whole lot of important factors out. Your average professional bodybuilder would likely qualify as at least overweight (if not obese) by BMI standards.
  • arthurowenlindsey
    Options
    im 230 but people are suprized when i tell them.
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 7" and was 10 st 7lb - but if I told any friends I was trying to lose weight they say they couldn't beleive I was over 10 stone, so maybe. Or maybe it was that I was wearing body control pants most of the time ;-)
  • XxJessdNxX
    Options
    I am 5'3" and weight 12 stone. I know I am bigger than I should be, but there is no way I look "obese" as my BMI says I am, and everyone else says that too. I am a UK12-14 (more on the 14 side, but sometimes smaller). I do have MASSIVE boobs though, which 1. Probably weigh a stone on their own and 2. Make the rest of me look more in proportion than I might do otherwise.

If I weighed the bottom range of my healthy BMI I thing I would look like a saggy twiglet.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think I look about as heavy as I am, but I'm not sure what other people's perceptions are about how much I weigh. I would ask them, but then they'd lowball me because they wouldn't want to insult me, so there's really no way of knowing for sure. :) When I compare my height/weight to other people who wear the same size clothes as me, it's all similar.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant with my daughter I was in great shape with a lot of muscle. One nurse told me since I was 8% body fat i should consider putting on some weight for the health of the baby. I was 5' 2" and weighed 130, but it was all mostly muscle.

The next nurse obviously wasn't paying attention because she told me my BMI was too high, and I was close to the overweight catergory! Lol.
  • dmcg123
    dmcg123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think BMI and height / weight charts are two different things. BMI measures lean mass and determines body fat content, whereas height / weight charts just assume everyone has the same frame, bone density and lean body mass. I agree that height / weight charts are trash, but think BMI is indeed useful.
  • AmberLynn327
    Options
    Everyone else tells ME that I don't look as heavy as I am. I thought maybe they were just being nice, but even my GYN told me that my weight must be distributed very evenly. I'm about 5'5" and I weigh 189 lbs, but most people tell me I look closer to 150 lbs. I, myself, do not FEEL like I'm 189 lbs, but my photos say otherwise! :)
  • AmberLynn327
    Options
    Oh, and I also disagree with BMI calculations.
  • ymachick
    ymachick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am at 189 lbs and 5'5" and in my early 40's. I've lost 45 pounds so far and my goal is to lose 45 more. So, when I look in the mirror I see someone who looks much better than they used to, but I still think I look overweight.

I agree with some of the other posts who say it depends on the day and my emotions on that day. If I just jumped on the scale and see I've lost 3 pounds and then look in the mirror, I think "Wow, I'm lookin' awesome." If I've gained 2 pounds, I think, "Wow, I'm huge."

Also, the person who posted on the pictures thing couldn't be more right. I think I'm looking great, but I looked at some pictures of me on New Year's Eve and I think I look huge. As depressing as it is, pictures don't lie so I have to believe that's how other people see me.
  • mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It depends... there are days I look in the mirror and think I look pretty damned good, and not at ALL as heavy as my scale claims I am... but then I see photographs of myself, and I recoil in horror and think "Holy hell, when did I get THAT fat?"

I love it! I think the same too. Especially when I pull the chin back and get the bull frog chins look.
  • ymachick
    ymachick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh yea...on the BMI thing. I think it's one more calculation out of many. I don't hold much stock in it. I pay closer attention to my wight, my body fat % and my measurements.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options

That was my exact reaction last night when my husband took "before" pics of me! We just started P90X and wanted comparison pics. I am 5'3" and 145 lbs. I didn't feel like I looked THAT bad...until I saw the pics. WOW!!
  • courtrptr13
    Options
    Most people tell me I look great (I had a baby 7 months ago), but I think clothes hide it well. I can tell when I look at pictues especially that my face is heavier and my boobs are still very big even though I never breastfed. I guess my answer is, I feel I look as heavy as I am, but other ppl don't.
  • nicholasnam
    nicholasnam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh yea...on the BMI thing. I think it's one more calculation out of many. I don't hold much stock in it. I pay closer attention to my wight, my body fat % and my measurements.

I'm overweight according to BMI.