Reaction to carbs?

Options
I frequently eat under my carbs goal, simply because I don't particularly like carb-filled foods such as bread and pasta, mostly because of the feeling they give me after. I feel bloated and they don't give me much energy, I just feel sluggish, even if I eat wholemeal versions. I've noticed that when I do eat quite a bit of carbs (well, more than usual) I feel horrible that evening and the next day. I feel really bloated and the next day, my stomach is usually all over the place. I also feel a bit gross and sluggish, which makes me want to do anything BUT exercise which isn't very helpful... I'm fairly young so I feel like my body shouldn't be super sensitive to things like this at my age - my metabolism is fairly quick, my body doesn't retain much water weight etc., which I think is partly due to my age, so my reaction to carbs concerns me! I don't know much about this sort of thing so does anyone have any advice/any science behind this reaction?! Thanks x

Replies

• WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just try cutting out gluten for 2 week and see how you feel. There are plenty of gluten free bread, hot rolls, etc out there.

I was never officially tested by my body reacts much like yours when gluten gets into my diet.

Can hurt to try it.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    So does this happen when you eat a lot of of carb rich vegetables and fruit also?
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I find that it's more starchy carbs than sugar carbs, so pasta/bread/potato - I'm sure I'm using the wrong names for the different food groups so I hope this makes sense!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you are lumping certain grains in with vegetables (i.e.. Potato is a vegetable and contain no to extremely low gluten (if this is even your issue).

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gluten-free-diet/art-20048530

So maybe as a trial, look at list provided in link and eat those foods that are gluten free and see how you feel afterward. If the same then you have some carb sensitivity that you probably will want to get checked with a Dr. If not, then you wil still probably want a confirmation with a Dr. at some point in time doing a Celiac test for gluten protein allergy.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I find that it's more starchy carbs than sugar carbs, so pasta/bread/potato - I'm sure I'm using the wrong names for the different food groups so I hope this makes sense!
    Starches might be what you're referring to. For me, it's the heavily refined carbs (which are also starchy). When I eat a lot of heavily refined starchy carbs (breads and pastas), I often feel sluggish and definitely get bloated and crampy.
    I eat a lot of carbs, but mostly in the form of vegetables.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Starches might be what you're referring to. For me, it's the heavily refined carbs (which are also starchy). When I eat a lot of heavily refined starchy carbs (breads and pastas), I often feel sluggish and definitely get bloated and crampy.

Yeah- this is me- mostly because I feel like I eat TO MUCH when I do eat them- but sounds exactly like me. Slow- super full and bloated.

It sounds nothing like a sensitivity- mostly like how most people feel when they over eat- stuffed and slow.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Yeah- this is me- mostly because I feel like I eat TO MUCH when I do eat them- but sounds exactly like me. Slow- super full and bloated.

It sounds nothing like a sensitivity- mostly like how most people feel when they over eat- stuffed and slow.
    For me, a few days of breads and the cramps become constipation.... so just easier to avoid or eat rarely... there are a FEW I can easily tolerate (after some experimenting). Really thin 100% whole wheat or sprouted grain tortillas are just fine.
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

For me, a few days of breads and the cramps become constipation.... so just easier to avoid or eat rarely... there are a FEW I can easily tolerate (after some experimenting). Really thin 100% whole wheat or sprouted grain tortillas are just fine.

See, it's not really a quantity that can be classed as 'over-eating' that makes me feel terrible. Might try a couple of weeks of cutting things out to see if it improves.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar, and I get a migraine. I limit my refined carbs but eat my veggies. Tons of them :).
    I too feel sluggish, gross, crampy and tired when I eat the wrong kind of carbs. It's just easier to avoid them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

See, it's not really a quantity that can be classed as 'over-eating' that makes me feel terrible. Might try a couple of weeks of cutting things out to see if it improves.
    Mine's a combo. If I eat a sandwich on monday. My tummy will hurt and I'll be kinda blah on monday. If I eat a sandwich MTW, then my tummy will REALLY hurt, and things will get very backed up.
    If I eat a half a white bread pizza, I *KNOW* my tummy will hurt and I'll be bloated AND constipated the next day.
    But if I eat a 100% whole grain or sprouted grain tortilla each day for lunch, I'm pretty well ok. or at least it's below a threshold!
    For me it's just easier to limit the breads/pastas... ienkorn pasta, (like sprouted grains) for what it's worth, doesn't cause GI distress for me....