Protein Shakes for Dummies

Options
I would like to add a protein shake to my daily routine. Since I started counting and paying attention, I'm just not getting enough protein. I've gone into GNC and been overwhelmed and the grocery stores just have so many options.

Seeing that the stuff isn't cheap and I just started a new job, I'm trying not to waste $20 on the wrong stuff. I'm not trying to bulk or anything, just add a supplement to what I'm already doing.

Suggestions? Brands? Any kind of help would greatly be appreciated.

Have a healthy day y'all.

SK

Replies

• pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    In for responses. I also want to start protein shakes, but am overwhelmed by the variety of protein powders that are available. I'd hate to invest upwards of $40 only to find out the product was awful. I've searched the forums for people's opinions on their favorites, but everyone seems to like a different type.

On the other hand, there are loads of recipes online for protein smoothies and such, so once I figure out the right powder, I'm golden! LOL.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    QUEST bars!
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Original, natural vanilla. As i strive to avoid artificial sweeteners (personal preference) this one is all natural ingredients. It is one of their more affordable ones too, I only buy when they are 50% off or buy one and get 50% off the second one. Need to keep an eye on that in those stores.
    Mix it with berries and almond milk makes a perfect smoothie! :smile:
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    QUEST bars!

Do you have any recipes that use Quest bars as an ingredient in protein shakes?
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    I use GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Original, natural vanilla. As i strive to avoid artificial sweeteners (personal preference) this one is all natural ingredients. It is one of their more affordable ones too, I only buy when they are 50% off or buy one and get 50% off the second one. Need to keep an eye on that in those stores.

Thanks! I prefer all natural ingredients too.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I love the chocolate version - though honestly I prefer the original to the natural flavor. One scoop with a cup of milk makes for a quick and yummy drink! I don't feel the need to do more than one scoop that since it probably won't all absorb at once like that.
    There's tubs of this as well as smaller bags. The Vanilla goes great in smoothies, so does the strawberry IF you like artificial strawberry. GNC also takes anything back, with reciept, used or not, if returned within 30 days so you can try it risk free!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    So many companies "amino spike" their protein powders so you're actually are not getting the protein amounts advertised. I use Dymatize iso-100 whey. After tons of research Dymatize is a very trust worthy company. This protein is also voted best whey protein powder by bodybuilding.com year after year. Speaking of which, it's the best place to buy protein powder or any supps for that matter. Fast shipping and great prices (I'm not affiliated in any way, I just really love their site). Optimum nutrition is also a great brand but the taste doesn't hold a candle to dymatize's iso 100. The "birthday cake" flavor is ah-may-ZING! It's 27 bucks which is also about the cheapest quality protein powder you can find. I've heard good things about GNC wheybolic powder but I have not tried it or really researched it at all and I believe it's much pricier. It always Dymatize for me. Happy shopping!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    QUEST bars!

I think she was just suggesting them as a viable alternative to protein shakes. They're a bit more portable, and have just as much protein as a shake does.
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use hemp protein
  • JennaNicoleS
    JennaNicoleS Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A brand called Melaluca has a protein shake mix called ProFlex20. I use the dutch chocolate and add some peanut butter, milk, and coffee and mix it all together! It's really delicious and my favorite way to get protein by far! You can also use the Vanilla flavored version and add some berries and milk to make a delicious fruity shake too :) Hope this helps!
  • bazzawood30
    bazzawood30 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Any lean or diet whey if your not looking to bulk. It can be very personal due to taste, some online sellers do sample packs so you don't have to invest in a huge tub to try them.
  • katie692102
    katie692102 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    can someone put a recipe on this site for a smoothie. mine are usually too watery. how much ice do you need it to make it seem like a thick creamy milkshake. thank you.
  • jerarant
    jerarant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    +1 for Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard..reasonable price, the taste is fine, nothing fancy. I also enjoy MusclePharm Combat Powder, which is a blend. It's a bit more expensive, but it seems to give me less gastro issues.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    The three common protein powder supplements are whey, soy, and casein protein. Casein is often derived from milk, so let's call it a milk product.

Now I'm sure to get vehement disagreement, but beyond the whey/soy/casein content, everything else in the supplement is just stuff. Certainly not protein. Many powdered supplements have significant sugar, your choice. All of them claim to have lots of extra goodies, your choice. You can get plain whey and plain soy protein without the additives but I have never seen that in stores only online.

Whey is considered a complete protein. Whey is significantly more expensive per gram of protein than soy.

If you are counting dollars along with protein, you might consider normal dairy products. I ran some calculations and the most cost-effective source of protein-per-dollar, including whey powder, is nonfat cottage cheese, 160 kcal/ 28 g protein, 1 cup. Nonfat greek yogurt is a close second with 130kcal/23 g protein, 1 cup but it is more expensive than cottage cheese. Regular yogurt is way behind with 130kcal/13 g protein. Of course the protein source in dairy products is whey.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have a comparison chart if anyone is interested message me on Facebook - I can't get it to paste here.
    https://www.facebook.com/ellie.franklin.50
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein Whey Powder. It's the only one I've ever used. They have one with an artificial sweetner and one "natural" one. I prefer the sweetner one, as the natural one is way too sweet for me.

I have two go to protein shakes.

1 cup of OJ, 1 scoop of vanilla powder, 4 ounces of frozen strawberries. It winds up tasting like an Orange Julius (does anyone else remember those?)

1 cup of coffee (prepared how you prefer, chilled), 1 scoop of chocolate powder, a cup of ice and some greens (spinach, kale, etc).

I'm not an expert on protein powders, like some on here are. I just happened to pick this brand up and I liked it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    QUEST bars!

Nope don't like to drink my calories and Quest bars fit the bill!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Are any of you guys Canadian? If so I can post my smoothie recipe on here. I started using "Exact" chocolate. protein powder from Exrta Foods. Or you can substitute any protien powder that is 25g of protein and 140 cals, and Presidents choice 4-Berry Blend. It ends up equalling only 260 cals, is about 3 Cups of smoothie and is nice and thick. Super filling.

Let me know if you want me to post it.