What Yummy Healthy foods do you enjoy from Trader Joes?

Options
Going grocery shopping at Trader Joes. What healthy yumms do you like to buy there?

Replies

• Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hmm, where do I start...... I really like their frozen quinoa. It is a mid-week staple in our house for when we get home late and don't want to "cook" 3 1/2 minutes in the microwave and done.

I also like their plain chicken strips similar to Purdue's but it tastes real and not like chemicals. I take a whole package 1lb to work for the week and eat it over 4 days. That way I know I'm averaging 4 oz. per day of chicken (protein). I'm counting calories (1300 calories) and protein (100gms) per day.

I also like their plain greek yogurt. Like the chicken I take the large tub to work each week and bring some sort of fruit to mix in. Add a pack of stevia and that is my afternoon snack.

We also enjoy making pizza with their pizza dough and adding healthy "stuff" as toppings.

Hope that's a good start for you
  • Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh, PS - is that a Boston Terrier? If it is, see mine (his name is Fagan) on my weight loss marker at the bottom of my post?
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried anything from there I didn't like! My mom got me into their stuff, and I even walked through there once to help pick out foods for meals(sometimes I used to go over to her house to have supper-now I just stick to being at my house and having supper). I like their French Onion Soup, and their pizza dough. Good stuff. I love the fact that they have mochi! That's my favourite Japanese dessert when I go out to Japanese restaurants that serve it/have it on the menu.
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Oh, PS - is that a Boston Terrier? If it is, see mine (his name is Fagan) on my weight loss marker at the bottom of my post?

Yes, I sent you a friend request!! BT friend unite!!!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hi absolutely love the indian tikka chicken. And tandoori chicken .. It's in the frozen food section. Take a look there so many wonderful salsas like cactus salsa.... Incredible... Have fun
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think I got some good things... I'm excited to eat! I am about to eat the french onion soup yayy!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    In our regular, once a month or so, TJ haul:

Haricots verts (little, tender green beans)

Flat leaf parsley (which we can't get in our usual grocery

Nuts (best selection anywhere)

Bagels (best in town which is still far from NYC quality)

80/20 ground beef (that tastes delicious for plain burgers)

Frozen petite peas (very sweet and lovely)

Pesto (in the fridge case -- not the jarred one on the shelves)

Hard grinding cheeses and some bacon cheddar (to make truly evil cheese burgers)

Light feta (which is MUCH cheaper than at the supermarket)

Cultured buttermilk (with no thickeners)

Harvest blend (Israeli couscous mixture)

Peanut butter (that has only two ingredients: peanuts, salt)

Flavored, unsweetened carbonated water

And if we limit ourselves to just those items, we've done well. We usually cave and add in some others like more breads and cheeses, the big bag of corn chips, and, if we're feeling really devil may care, the dark chocolate peanut butter cups!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hummus is my favorite. They have wonderful butters, peanut, almond etc. Their nut section is incredible, not to mention they have a wonderful produce selection.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Not "healthy" but DEFINITELY "yummy" I LOVE the frozen Macaroons (the sandwich ones, not the coconut flaky ones) in the Frozen section. I love them all, but if I had to pick it'd be the Vanilla flavor and the Pumpkin flavor, followed by the Pistachio, Lemon, Salt Caramel, Chocolate, Fig, Apricot, etc....LOL
  • suzcain
    suzcain Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I l-o-v-e their frozen paneer tikka masala for a vegetarian day. I'll eat it with a bit of mango chutney and Greek yogurt. Mmmmm...
  • Jfleisch
    Jfleisch Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Their Superfood Pilaf is great, as are the thai lime chili cashews
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Coconut chips
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Since "healthy" is relative, I'll say Cocoa Swirl Cookie Butter, both the spread and the ice cream. IIFYM FTW.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    They are opening one near my house in a few weeks!!! Yay! I can now make it a weekly stop instead of monthly. They have these little raisin rosemary crackers that are so yummy! Just a few with some chive cream cheese is the perfect salty sweet snack. Also their prices on canned crab and capers can't be beat.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Macarons....I heard there were pumpkin ones!
  • gubby5456
    Options
    I LOVE Trader Joe's!!! I found this cool little blog that posts some good recipes. It helps me with my meal planning (planning ahead isn't my strong suit). I usually just look at it while I'm walking around in the store. It's kind of like the shopping list you always forget to grab on your way to the store. :)

Anyways the blog is:
    tjexperience.wordpress.com

Hope you enjoy it like I have!
  • gubby5456
    Options
    The pumpkin macarons are so good! Try the pumpkin spice pumpkin seeds next time you're there, they are so amazing.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The salsa verde is amazing! Macro-friendly and cheap.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Their plain, fat free greek yogurt is a protein power house. I make my smoothies with that and the designer whey protein powder you can get there. I also like their bagged organic salads - much cheaper than the regular grocery store. My cupboards always has tj's whole wheat couscous stocked and I have a freezer full of assorted tj's frozen vegetables.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Trader Joe's!!! I found this cool little blog that posts some good recipes. It helps me with my meal planning (planning ahead isn't my strong suit). I usually just look at it while I'm walking around in the store. It's kind of like the shopping list you always forget to grab on your way to the store. :)

Anyways the blog is:
    tjexperience.wordpress.com

Hope you enjoy it like I have!

Thanks!! this site is great. Looks like trader joes is EVERYTHING PUMPKIN!! lol Can't wait to visit next week.