2 1/2 weeks of Atkins Induction Experiment

Options
13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder if cutting out a complete food group is ever a good idea?

The very fact that weight loss occurs 'could' be entirely down to the fact that (as it turns out) the total calorific intake was down to 1800 anyway....

So, would the same loss have been achieved on a more 'balanced' (what ever that means) 1800 cal diet anyway... oh and possibly fewer medical issues.......???

It's simply a way that some people have decided to get rid of some calories. Is it needed? Hell no. They could lose the same amount without reducing their carbs to some silly low level (minus medical reasons here people!).

I once did South Beach. It worked. I lost weight and a decent amount to. However, when I started to eat "normally" again, I put most of it back on. Why? Because I couldn't stick with it. This time I did calorie counting, lost just as well, and am having better luck keeping it off. Why? Because I can still have all my favorite foods and not have to cut out whole food groups when I don't WANT to eat like that the rest of my life.
    You lost weight because of a calorie deficit, and you GAINED weight because of a calorie surplus.

Ummm, yea. That is what I said. Look at the first sentence.
    you stated that you regained when you "started eating normally". You regained due to a calorie surplus. Unless it's not calories in/calories out.
  • ziria2014
    ziria2014 Posts: 4
    Options
    can i set my fitness pal to atkins???
  • theecatt
    theecatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    can i set my fitness pal to atkins???
    Yes, go to My Home | Goals | Custom, and change your carbs to whatever makes them about 20g. I use 5% on mine, with 1600 net calories.
  • rachel7676
    rachel7676 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you posting this. Atkins is VERY healthy. Too much protein will get you in trouble.
  • wwmoab
    wwmoab Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5 of induction, and don't want to debate the plan, but find others doing it too. I know I have a sugar/flour addiction, so nine is better than some. I've already lost 8 lbs, though I assume most of that is water weight. I'm not hungry though, and that seems to be the biggest challenge when just counting calories.

I just read The Diet Fix, which isn't Atkins/based, more about habits that lead to long term weight-loss. I plan to combine these two approaches in hopes of losing 45 lbs by my 45th birthday.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5 of induction, and don't want to debate the plan, but find others doing it too. I know I have a sugar/flour addiction, so nine is better than some. I've already lost 8 lbs, though I assume most of that is water weight. I'm not hungry though, and that seems to be the biggest challenge when just counting calories.

I just read The Diet Fix, which isn't Atkins/based, more about habits that lead to long term weight-loss. I plan to combine these two approaches in hopes of losing 45 lbs by my 45th birthday.
    If you're looking for others doing it, join this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-
  • meganthomas1148
    Options
    Could you please email me a two week meal plan for the Atkins diet ? Intro phase
  • rscbauer
    Options
    ...Then came my first (of many) kidney stone attacks. Over the next 10 years I had to have outpatient surgery at least once a year, sometimes twice a year to have my kidney stones broken up so they could pass. Not a fun time...

Question:
    What were your micro-nutrients at when this happened? I am specifically interested in your consumption of Magnesium, as well as vitamins A and D. Also, were you consuming any citric acid?
  • shannansgroove
    Options
    Did you figure out how to set it to Atkins? I adjusted the protein, fat and carb intake, but I'm not sure if that's all I'm supposed to do...
  • anodynewv
    anodynewv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how your weight loss progressed where you increased carbs to 90 to 100 a day
  • ILovePink77
    ILovePink77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Atkins for 10 1/2 years and I have many friends who have been on Atkins long term and I am sorry but you couldn't be more mistaken. There is nothing dangerous about low carbing at all!!!!!!! I am stunned at people's broad sweeping strokes of criticism with no facts. I am healthier today than ever before. I am 55 with no health problems as many in my family have. My family has heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and many other health issues. The low fat dogma is being proven just a marketing ploy with no science behind it. Let me give you an example of a meal I might eat out at Outback Steakhouse. I often order their 6 ounce steak, with steamed vegetables and their house salad with no croutons. I do not eat the bread. I do not eat low fat ever and my weight is within a healthy range for my age and height. I have had blood tests for cholesterol and my numbers are perfect. So eating a low carb diet is NOT unhealthy.
  • hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Has anyone lost weight when loosely following atkins? I just wonder if you can follow the same approach of healthy eating, but having more like 80grams of carbs?