When life throws you a curve

Options
Anyone struggle to keep it together when life gets tough? I've been doing great with the diet so far but I just got some bad news. Now I'm cranky and I just want to eat. Any ideas to keep from going on a binge?

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, go for a walk instead, punch some pillows, write it all out, get into a good movie, have a nice hot cup of coffee or tea, have a hot shower/bath, blast out some loud music...and remember, a binge will only make you feel even worse afterwards.
  • mrsbadkarma
    mrsbadkarma Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I seem to have the opposite problem. When life gets tough, depression gets me and I just don't want to eat. I get hungry but don't have the energy to go make something or pick up a snack from the kitchen. I'm struggling to even hit 1000 calories each day. :frown:

I talk to friends (have one great friend here on MFP!) and try to focus on religion and getting myself back on track.

Sometimes going for a walk (or any other kind of exercise) can help.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    As someone who used to eat two king size bars of chocolate plus assorted other crap when that happens - definitely go for a walk instead. Or do any sort of physical exercise. Redirect what you're feeling, distract yourself. You'll feel better for it in the end.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Man I can't even hit a fastball. :sad:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Those who know me here know I've had my share of curve and knuckle balls in my life. The thing is you are still at the plate until you're last breath. Call time and step out of the batter's box and collect yourself.

If you want to get away from eating, get away from the food. Take a walk, a drive, or go fishing. Drink water helps many people.

If you need to talk to someone and blow off steam, PM me.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I got threw last night anyway by just removing myself from the situation. Talked it over with my son and I'm adjusting today. I appreciate the ideas and all of the responses!
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Exercise, walk gym etc as mentioned above is really good.

sometimes though you just need to switch the brain off and i find a movie does not do that as movies = snacks.

I take myself out of the real world and play video games. At 45 I maybe a wee bit old, but hey what ever works

Glad you got through the night.

Next time just think I coped before without comfort eating, I will do it again

Good luck
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I need to change my habits.

FYI - I really like your minion logo. My 2 yr old grandson calls them "the onions".
  • nykismile
    Options
    When smaller issues come my way, I try my best to stay dedicated. So long as my dieting life is stable, I tend to take comfort from that.

My house burned down a year ago. For two and a half weeks or so, I threw the idea of my diet away. I ate absolutely everything in sight. Should I have found a better way to cope with the loss? Of course. But given the circumstances, I didn't feel all that bad about it.

I hope the bad news that came your way is solved promptly!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the curve. If it's something frustrating that is out of my control, exercise and good diet helps- it restores my faith that I do have control over something. That the world can do what it wants, and other people can do what they will to me, but I still have control over something. Control is a powerful feeling when life is tossing balls at you too fast or on the sly.