Pregnant and almost gained it all back.

Options
I have been on MFP for years. I lost 63 pounds and was still unhappy at that point with my "progress". Now I am now almost 37 weeks pregnant and only 18 pounds away from gaining it all back. Words cannot describe how down on myself I am... I mean my chin has a chin, I can't even see muscle definition in my legs anymore. Tears. I've been looking for a good postpartum group on here but have not found one. If you know of one please point me in the right direction! Also, I need active motivating friends, add me!

Replies

• olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hugs! Try to be easier on yourself. Growing a baby is hard work!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I gained more than the recommended weight during my pregnancy and I struggled with it. I know it can be hard on the head but you need to keep it in perspective.
    You have to remember not all of that is gained weight. A good portion of that is baby and fluids (did you know your blood volume doubles). You may not see muscle definition right now but part of that could simply be fluid retention.

You can get back to where you were but will take some time. Don't get too hung up on losing right away. Take the appropriate time to recover and then get back to it.

Here is one group. I know there is another but don't have a link.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/58901-moms-with-babies
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Deep breath. well, as deep as you can at 37 weeks.

You didn't gain it all back. You are growing a WHOLE OTHER PERSON inside you. You are going to lose a bunch of that weight the day yu give birth, and a bunch more in the following weeks as your body adjusts back to being not-pregnant.

Do not panic.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    If you eat healthy and breastfeed it can come off quickly. I gained about 55lbs (before baby was born) with both pregnancy s and was back to pre-pregnancy weight in about 2-3 months. You ARE growing a person inside of you. Water retention, baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, extra blood. It's are all in there. Its not just a bunch of fat!
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Aw, congratulations on your pregnancy and hugs! It's impossible not to feel huge and uncomfortable towards the end, but it will all be worth it. I was terrible about exercising during my last two pregnancies, but as soon as I was cleared to work out postpartum, I was determined and took all of the weight off. You'll do it too. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress about it now and just enjoy this amazing time. After the baby comes, you will come up with a plan and stick to it. You've done it before, so you know it can be done. :flowerforyou:
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Your body is doing a wonderful thing, and you will be able to take care of yourself soon.

I gained 65 pounds with my pregnancy, and then lost 30 pounds in the ten days after delivery! The rest came off in the next 6 months or so.

You can do this... but allow yourself to just focus on the joy of having your baby for now. :-)
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. You're growing a human being. That is your priority. I lost 25 pounds the day after birth! Go easy on yourself. It will all be OK.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Aww hun - I know where your head is....I was the same when I was pregnant after losing 120lbs. But, as others have said - you're growing another human being!! Take it easy on yourself. Rest up.

You've done it before and you will do it again. Give yourself a break - there's a whole person inside you!!

Congrats on the pregnancy! wishing you all the best for everything :flowerforyou:
  • harmonyhoran
    harmonyhoran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wait till a few weeks after baby arrives to get a real guage of what you have lost and gained. At 37 weeks theres isnt much you can do now apart from eating healthy and walking. of course you will have put on weight. I lost 10kg in 6 months from MFP and within 2 months of maintenance I got pregnant again. At 31 weeks ive gained 8kg of those 10kg i lost but its not like its fat, its a baby and necessary growth. if there is a valid excuse for HEALTHY weight gain, its pregnancy.

Its better to lose and start from a lower weight when you get pregnant than start at your heavier weight. your previous weight loss is not in vain, its helped you start off at a better place for your pregnancy!! all the best in the next few weeks and months :)
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You really really can't compare your pre-pregnancy body to your 37 week pregnant body. Different stresses, different strains, and you body is very busy doing a different job compared to just being 'your' body.

Been there, done that, bought the tshirt and am still trying to lose the weight I gained - but I have not been terribly dedicated, strict, and have had other things take priority. Give it time.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Deep breath. well, as deep as you can at 37 weeks.

You didn't gain it all back. You are growing a WHOLE OTHER PERSON inside you. You are going to lose a bunch of that weight the day yu give birth, and a bunch more in the following weeks as your body adjusts back to being not-pregnant.

Do not panic.

This right here, sister.

There is a baby, amniotic fluid, extra blood in your veins, your uterus grew, breast growth, water retention, and then extra fat stores. You gained more than the recommended 25-30lb, and so did I, and a lot of other women.

It isn't permanent and you get a sweet little baby to love forever out of the deal. :)
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If I were in the same room with you I'd rub your pregnant feet and let you vent all you want about late pregnancy!

It is SO HARD in the last month. So uncomfortable and it seems that it will never end. You're probably not sleeping well and certainly can't take a deep breath, so no wonder you're feeling a little desperate. :flowerforyou:

You'll be having a quick and major weight loss in a few weeks! And then you'll pick up where you left off with healthy eating, logging on MFP, and make it back to your desired weight. It will happen!

And you'll have a beautiful, sweet, snuggly baby to love.

Hang in there, beautiful mama!!!! :heart:
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Ok, you're 37 weeks right now. You've got 3 weeks (give or take) left. Start TODAY. Right now. I'm not saying restrict your calories, or do anything radical or crazy, but make healthy choices. It's never too late! Ok, you've regained some. It's ok! We can do this! Some of that is baby. Baby weighs anywhere from 6 to 9lbs (average). You've got more blood, a placenta in there, plus amniotic fluid, AND you could be retaining fluid. That *could* at this point account for as much as 20lbs or more. Granted, key word here being, COULD. You've got three weeks left in your pregnancy, barring going into labor early, or if you have a c-section scheduled early. Make these next few weeks count! Continue to eat what you need to keep your little one growing strong in the last crucial weeks, and yourself healthy, BUT make sure these are healthy choices. Get in your fruits, proteins, and plenty of water.

With the weight gain, do you know where you've had the gain? Did you have cravings that you endulged in maybe a little more than you realized? Or, it was a matter of this all happening at once? If this is the case, then it very well may be fluid. Believe it or not, my best friend lost almost 60lbs of fluid with my first godson.
  • Jess11Gold
    Jess11Gold Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you! (Especially for the 'lets get real' questions). True I have let myself have things more often than I should.... Ice cream, chips, grilled cheese, I'm sure you get the idea. It's an all over gain. I see it in my face, back, belly (aside from baby), legs, everywhere. I love MFP and am so glad to have the opportunity to give/ receive support!
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    *BIG HUGS* You're doing ok! I know pregnancy is hard! From where you are, I only made it another week and a half, and at the point where you are, I was MISERABLE. My back hurt, and I had PICA so severe that all I wanted was ice. I'd gnaw someone's arm off for ice. Two days before I went into labor, I ate 100 Otter Pops in less than 24 hours, only because I wanted the ice. That WAS the worst right there. I don't wish having PICA on my worst enemy. I wouldn't have gotten my "Otter Pops" if my husband hadn't caught me gnawing of a block buffer (that you buff acrylic nails with. I wanted something gritty, and he wouldn't buy me any more Otter Pops. After that, he took away my block buffer, and bought my Otter Pops.

I do understand the cravings. Until about the last week of my pregnancy, mine had usually been healthy. The first thing I craved with orange juice. I drank so much I ended up with a horribly upset stomach and sores in my mouth. I had to stop that, and all citrus fruit for a few weeks, and it about killed me because I wanted it SO badly. Even though what I was craving was healthy- I can sympathize. I know what it's like when you WANT it. There's nothing like a pregnancy craving. When you want it, you WANT it! You'd just about gnaw someone's arm off to get it, too!

I'd go to the Wal-Mart to get more orange juice, and I'd open up a small one, and be drinking it, while I'd have two of the large gallon jugs of it in my buggy. It was *that* bad. Then I'd wheel on over to the fruit section, grab me some oranges, a watermelon, grapes, and act like I'd never seen any of this fruit before. Then, I'd get home, and think- ok, this is fruit, it's good for me- good for baby, but I gotta make sure I don't eat too much of anything. I want to keep her healthy, and me healthy, but I don't want to gain *me* fat, only baby fat. I was on BabyCenter like 24/7. I knew *roughly* how much the baby was supposed to weigh weekly/monthly, along with blood, placenta, fluid, and everything else. I didn't mind gaining any weight associated with the baby, but I wasn't going to gain anything that didn't pertain to the baby.

My best friend, Slowly gained with all three of her babies. She had an easier time getting it off after the first, and snapped back to her pre-baby body. After the second, it took a little while, and after the third, none came off. We're working together to do it. The main reason I was afraid of gaining any weight, is because I live with PCOS. Gaining weight for me, equals, getting sick. I'm terrified of seeing the scales go up, because to me, that means I'll get sick again. I knew *in theory* I had so much during pregnancy I had to gain, but I didn't want to gain any more, not for vanity reasons, but for fear of headed back to being sick again.

I know I've typed you a novel here, but long story short, this isn't impossible! You may have gained a little bit during pregnancy, and it's ok! We're all human. You know where you went wrong, and you know what to do! If you're going to be nursing after delivery, you will have to keep your caloric intake up a little as well, to keep a healthy supply of milk, but that's definitely not a problem! Just talk to your doctor or lactation nurse about the best diet to follow for you while nursing. And if you aren't going to be nursing, then you can resume your regular diet, and when your body is healed, you'll be able to slowly work back into your exercise routine. Don't go at it full force! Slowly work your way back up, as you may be sore, your body is going to take some time readjusting, and I know everyone is different. Some women don't have any problems, and bounce back immediately- others like me, have pain for quite some time.

Number one thing, don't beat yourself up for what has been done. Look forward, and know that you can do this! You've got a lot of good things ahead! A beautiful baby to come, and healthy life for both of you! Best wishes!
  • Jess11Gold
    Jess11Gold Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Seriously you are awesome! I had a rough food day yesterday but everyday is a new day (thank goodness). Did I read your "loss" ticker right?!?!!! 178 pounds lost?!! Holy cow, you ROCK!!!!-!